Ride controll one

Fathom

May 1, 2020
Eu
Hi guys

I have giant phatom 2020 e+3 With ride controll one.-No display:(

Can somebody tell me what display to put on my bike that will show Battery% program, battery range?
Thanx

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
I think you probably have to get used to living with the LED's and learn to estimate the range. I'm guessing that 5 LEDs means 80-100% battery, 4 LEDs mean 60-79% battery, etc. Personally I like having a display, but you purchased a bike that doesn't come with one. Maybe Giant can see you a display, but you'd have to ask your dealer about that. Also "E-bikes equipped with RideControl One can be connected with the Giant E-bike App so your smart phone can function as your E-bike display. " That's probably your best bet. Hybrid Cycling Technology RideControl E-Bike App | Giant Bicycles Official site

Fathom

May 1, 2020
Eu
Yeah. I dont like ridecontroll app becous dont works-just freeze on iphone.
I have do a hack with sensor,now speed limit 25kmh is gone:)
Can this hack somehow damage the motor?

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Yeah. I dont like ridecontroll app becous dont works-just freeze on iphone.
Certainly can void your warranty, if not damage the motor.

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
Here in NZ we are limited too 32 kph, so again I doubt that it will damage the moto, however if they could prove you have tampered then certainly your warranty will be in doubt.

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
Control ONE is compatible to ANT+ and Bluetooth signals, which means that it can wirelessly connects to a Bluetooth or ANT+ compatible cycling computer, however I doubt you would find a device that shows any battery or range information. I imagine if you had very deep pockets you could upgrade to the Giant RideControl EVO, your local Giant dealer should be able to give you an idea of the cost.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I can understand how a 25kph assist speed limit can be frustrating.

I'm in NZ too and the bikes we have here do have a slightly higher 32kph assist limit, and that's more than ample. To be honest, the only time I feel the motor cut-out its 'assistance' on me is ONLY when I'm commuting over level paved roads. On the trail (where they're designed to be ridden), the 32kph assist limit really is a non-issue. On uphill sections (short steep switchbacks or long extended fire road climbs), I find it impractical if not pointless to try to reach, let alone exceed 32kph. I doubt olympic XC riders on a manual bike would reach such ascending speeds. An eMTB that could be made to do it, would take away any sense of satisfaction on my part, I might as well be on a motorbike. On the descends and DH sections where I find myself exceeding 32kph, the motor assist limit doesn't even come into the equation. I could just as well switch off my motor, the same way manual MTBs can easily attain these speeds without one.

On the side, I think the eBike industry have done themselves a disservice by calling it a "speed limit" because it subconsciously gives the wrong connotation to us consumers... as if the bike would stop working from that point on. They really should've called it an "assist limit" from the get go when eBikes first started showing up in the market place.

When I first started looking at buying a proper enduro eMTB, I too was alarmed by this so called speed limit. So I even started doing research on hacking, which I needn't have worried about. Now that I've had mine for nearly a year, I don't even understand why I thought that I would ever need to hack it.

Here's a video I made last year on my Trance e+Pro... stock standard motor... set only at power mode 3 out of 5, throughout the entire ride. The motor never reached a point where it cut-out on me even though I was well above the assist limit on the descend. The bike had more to give on that setting, but I held it back to be safe because it's my first run through an unfamiliar trail and I was riding alone.

All I'm saying is give the stock motor a chance first. You may not even feel the need to hack it. May not be worth risking your warranty because those things are expensive to repair or replace if things do go wrong.

Last edited:

Fathom

May 1, 2020
Eu
Hey thanx for answers.
I have today ride with hacked bike. It reach speed 48kmh. I just tried it. The greatest point for riding my bike is asist to 30-32kmh. The 25kmh cutoff its realy not good.
But i notice that battery drain much faster now:)

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
I can understand how a 25kph assist speed limit can be frustrating.

I'm in NZ too and the bikes we have here do have a slightly higher 32kph assist limit, and that's more than ample. To be honest, the only time I feel the motor cut-out its 'assistance' on me is ONLY when I'm commuting over level paved roads.

That's been my experience too. I only notice the 32km/h limit on paved, flat roads.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
There are several ANT+ cycle computers that will show battery level (percentage), estimated range, selected mode and OD0.

For example, I use the Xplova X5 EVO which shows this perfectly. You just need to find a cycle computer with ANT+ and LEV profile support (bluetooth will only send speed, cadence and power).

Kevten

Jul 11, 2020
kevkaren73
Control ONE is compatible to ANT+ and Bluetooth signals, which means that it can wirelessly connects to a Bluetooth or ANT+ compatible cycling computer, however I doubt you would find a device that shows any battery or range information. I imagine if you had very deep pockets you could upgrade to the Giant RideControl EVO, your local Giant dealer should be able to give you an idea of the cost.

If it's any use, I have been using my android phone for battery % and has been working well, EXCEPT

Can someone suggest something here!
I ride an Explorer4 GTS and use my phone for battery info rather than the display which comes with Explorer1.
Ride Control has been working perfectly for two months and using latest version 1.4.5. All of a sudden won't let me logon either with my password, facebook or Google. Every action comes up with "Unknown Error". Tried to ask for a new password, same message. I redownloaded the app, and also took it off my tablet thinking there may have been some conflict. Thanks in advance, Kevten.

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
Hi guys

I have giant phatom 2020 e+3 With ride controll one.-No display:(

Can somebody tell me what display to put on my bike that will show Battery% program, battery range?
Thanx
Hi I have a 2020 Giant Fathom e+2 with RideControl. Iwanted a display as the phone doesn’t work when the ridecontrol app is down.
I have fitted the giant charge display and it shows speed,charge %, power mode and power bar, cadence, trip total mileage and the range left in battery depending on which power mode you are in.

7E4E735D-17F0-4CAA-B28A-614B92DB98CA.jpeg

Tmeyer37

Jun 22, 2020
Fremont, CA
There is an ebike data field you can download for Garmin edge devices. My Edge 530 has an ebike data field already that shows assist level and battery percentage or estimated range remaining

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
There is an ebike data field you can download for Garmin edge devices. My Edge 530 has an ebike data field already that shows assist level and battery percentage or estimated range remaining
Cheers for this?. Does the Garmin connect to the bike without using the Giant app?

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Yes, using the ANT+ of the ride control one. Even if you use the bluetooth connection, you don't need the giant app.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles