Ride Control Update

sambonator

Sep 17, 2019
NEWPORT BEACH, CA
I can't connect to my bike after the update on IOS...
When I connect, I get "CONTACT DEALER" and hitting "OK" just closes the app. Tried a bunch of times, including remove bike from app and re-searching. Once it connects, "CONTACT DEALER"...and closes.

Anyone experience this?
Thank you!
Sam

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
I can't connect to my bike after the update on IOS...
When I connect, I get "CONTACT DEALER" and hitting "OK" just closes the app. Tried a bunch of times, including remove bike from app and re-searching. Once it connects, "CONTACT DEALER"...and closes.

Anyone experience this?
Thank you!
Sam

Others who have experienced connections issues such as you have described with the iOS version (on an iPone or iPad) have found that connecting with an android based device with the Giant RideControl e-bike App installed and carrying out an update has solved the problem and then allows you to connect your iOS based device. If you don't have an android based device you may need to borrow one.

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
Does anyone know what was in the latest update. My last update was back in Jan/Feb when we got the new walk mode. Today I connected up and it fired a new update to my Fathom. I really wish Giant would publish a changelog in the app..... or anywhere, for that matter.

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Does anyone know what was in the latest update. My last update was back in Jan/Feb when we got the new walk mode. Today I connected up and it fired a new update to my Fathom. I really wish Giant would publish a changelog in the app..... or anywhere, for that matter.
The most recent update made no difference to my 19 plate Trance 1... I think it was mostly to do with auto mode on the 20 models.

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
The latest Giant RideControl e-bike App is version 1.4.3 (dated 27 Mar 2020) and updates your Firmware to Software Version 20191231000.

The "Whats New" description for this version on the Google and Apple Apps Store sites states as follows:

We have a small firmware upgrade for your bike making the Smart assist mode easier to access. Simply hold your UP or DOWN button to enter smart assist mode. To exit smart assist mode simply press UP or DOWN to go back to ACTIVE mode. We also fixed some small connection bugs to make the app easier to use and more reliable. And it’s also Dark mode compatible!

Prior to this the Giant RideControl e-bike App was version 1.4.2 (dated 19 Feb 2020) which updated your Firmware to Software Version 20190802000.

The "Whats New" description for this version on the Google and Apple Apps Store sites stated the changes as follows:

With this update your 2020 Giant E-bike is also compatible with our app. Enjoy the full benefits of tuning your motor for personal optimal performance. We also have a new update available for your E-bike. This app will automatically update your E-bike to the latest firmware. The most important change is the function or your walk-assist. First press the walk-assist button to enable walk-assist, then press and hold the UP button to activate the walk-assist.

Prior to this the Giant RideControl e-bike App was version 1.3.0 (dated 17 Sep 2019), and other than language additions there is no info.

Noxiller

May 22, 2020
Germany
After I updated my bike to the latest firmware I also experienced a different or let´s say not even working auto mode.
But after messing around with it I got the impression that it´s just working different than before.

For me it seems like you first have to set your "max support" level by manually selecting your assistance level (1-5) and than engage auto mode by holding up or down button.
I felt a big difference engaging auto from level 3 (3 LEDs) to engaging it from level 4(4 LEDs). This has to be reset everytime the bike is powered off.

This might be very subjective and I can´t proof if there´s really a difference but maybe some1 else has made the same observation.

funnel

May 15, 2020
World
For me it seems like you first have to set your "max support" level by manually selecting your assistance level (1-5) and than engage auto mode by holding up or down button.
I felt a big difference engaging auto from level 3 (3 LEDs) to engaging it from level 4(4 LEDs). This has to be reset everytime the bike is powered off.

This might be very subjective and I can´t proof if there´s really a difference but maybe some1 else has made the same observation.

I can confirm this is true. If you engage auto from normal you get less assist as if you engaged it from sport or sport+. The previous firmware didn't have this problem and was already discussed in one of the threads.

ih4472

Jun 3, 2020
UK
New firmware released yesterday that allegedly fixes things (installed but not had the chance to test yet).

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
The software you can load via the app has a different number to the one that can be applied by dealers, which is odd.
2020 Trance updated via the app to: 20191231001 (no update for my ‘19 which is still on 20191231000).
I heard via the grapevine that dealer applied updates started with 2020...
Here’s the ‘release notes’...
DFA2580D-0764-4FEA-A8DB-50BA8E8290B2.png

Softsand

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
The software you can load via the app has a different number to the one that can be applied by dealers, which is odd.
2020 Trance updated via the app to: 20191231001 (no update for my ‘19 which is still on 20191231000).
I heard via the grapevine that dealer applied updates started with 2020...
Here’s the ‘release notes’...
View attachment 32691

Indeed, the latest LBS installed 20200304000 on our bikes which corrected Auto programming. Looks like the app doesn't use that yet ? Must be coming soon...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles