Pure plushness: Revelation fork Smashpot coil spring upgrade

Xeretic

Feb 11, 2019
Russia
Ok, the first thing I didn't like about my Levo Comp is the fork, it produced too much chatter over small bumps and washboards. I wanted my fork plush especially on the small bumps, so instead of installing Charger 2, which was my initial intention, I opted for Smashpot from Vorsprung.

Spring choice was the hardest part. They have three sections in their spring rate - rider weight spreadsheet, something like: easy, moderate, hardcore. I leaned more towards lighter spring as I don't do any big drops or jumps yet, but my rides are far from being smooth X-country.

Weighing 84 kg and my Levo Comp at 23 kg I opted for 45 spring rate. Installation was easy and straightforward (just need to read carefully, no rush), but you need to have all the tools and a torque wrench (I used my calibrated fingers on a couple steps).

Next day I did a test run around my neighborhood and must say that I'm impressed. I don't think the Charger 2 upgrade could have made that much difference compared to Smashpot. Small bump sensitivity is out of this world, exactly what I was lacking in my Levo front suspension. Can't wait till I get to run it in proper outdoors.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
"Ever take it off any sweet jumps?" :LOL:

Seriously though... What did you hit at 36sec? Is it the same kerb you ride into at 113sec?
Both of those hits the fork seemed to blow through almost all it's travel very easily. (like possibly far too easily) Is the fork set up firm enough for actual riding? with a heavy enough spring rate?
From your video the fork's compression reminds me a lot of older marzocchi full bath coil forks where most riders ran the stock spring and the fork didn't have great mid stroke support. A little like any RS air fork set up really soft but with a ramp up at the end from tokens.
what sort of sag is your spring giving you and what's the mid stroke support like?
You're not exactly traveliing fast and smooth urban surfaces with intentional square edge hits is not really a fair comparison to what a fork sees on a proper ride but It looks like it might blow through most of it's travel if you hit a decent sized kicker at any speed rather than support the push into the lip enough.

Sorry man, I'm sure the product will be great and I'm really interested in it. Steve definitely knows what he's doing. I'm just looking for moar words. less fiddle music here ;)

Last edited:

Xeretic

Feb 11, 2019
Russia
"Ever take it off any sweet jumps?" :LOL:

Seriously though... What did you hit at 36sec? Is it the same kerb you ride into at 113sec?
Both of those hits the fork seemed to blow through almost all it's travel very easily. (like possibly far too easily) Is the fork set up firm enough for actual riding? with a heavy enough spring rate?
From your video the fork's compression reminds me a lot of older marzocchi full bath coil forks where most riders ran the stock spring and the fork didn't have great mid stroke support. A little like any RS air fork set up really soft but with a ramp up at the end from tokens.
what sort of sag is your spring giving you and what's the mid stroke support like?
You're not exactly traveliing fast and smooth urban surfaces with intentional square edge hits is not really a fair comparison to what a fork sees on a proper ride but It looks like it might blow through most of it's travel if you hit a decent sized kicker at any speed rather than support the push into the lip enough.

Sorry man, I'm sure the product will be great and I'm really interested in it. Steve definitely knows what he's doing. I'm just looking for moar words. less fiddle music here ;)
Hi. You won't see any jumps on my videos/reviews any time soon ) I mainly ride something between "heavy x-country" and "trail/enduro without jumps/drops". I picked spring rate for that type of riding (they have three "riding style" levels in their spring rate choice table).
Also remember that Smashpot engages a hydraulic bottom out at around last 30% of travel, I was close to engaging it only once and even then it didn't bottom out.
36 and 113 sec kerbs are not the same. The 36 sec one is like twice as high and it's a series - drop followed by jumping back on the same kerb height again.

I know this is not proper riding. But enough to get the feeling of it. I will do some real word tests soon. But again no jumps or big drops.

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
Thanks for putting this in my radar. I’ve been contemplating an ACS3 but this looks far superior and less expensive. A huge bonus that there are 11 spring options vs 6 from push.

I might be ordering one very soon.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Also remember that Smashpot engages a hydraulic bottom out at around last 30% of travel
Yeah. I know how it works. (#420.69 ;) ) Was just surprised it was let up it's travel so easily.. Thanks for explaining. it makes far more sense now you've told me your riding style and how you chose to set your spring rate etc. up.

I know this is not proper riding. But enough to get the feeling of it. I will do some real word tests soon. But again no jumps or big drops.
TBF I give a fork a way easier time dropping 10' or jumping 30' than you were slamming yours straight into kerbs ;)

Thanks for all the info.

Xeretic

Feb 11, 2019
Russia
Yeah. I know how it works. (#420.69 ;) ) Was just surprised it was let up it's travel so easily.. Thanks for explaining. it makes far more sense now you've told me your riding style and how you chose to set your spring rate etc. up.

TBF I give a fork a way easier time dropping 10' or jumping 30' than you were slamming yours straight into kerbs ;)

Thanks for all the info.
Your questions were reasonable. Now that initial wave of emotion is through I see that my first post is far from being informative. I added more details based on what your comments.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It's the norm unfortunately with most folk when they recieve new new shiny shiny.. It's good to buck trends though. ?

Vilt

Feb 13, 2019
Berg en Terblijt, The Netherlands
Weird. I found the revelation quite okay after running it through shockwiz. But couldn't get used to the rear shock. So got a ohlins rear shock, I imagine that did more for the levo than upgrading the front ever could - but maybe i was wrong.

benny.c

Apr 21, 2019
North West
Just had the Smashpot conversation completed on my Yaris (2017 Levo) and subjectively they feel great but I’ve only been pottering around. It’ll be interesting to see how they perform once they get a bit more of a hammering.

Last edited:

brash

Jul 19, 2019
Aus
I have the smashpot conversion on my ‘analogue’ bike (19 stumpjumper Evo) with a fox 36. It’s single handedly well worth doing. Small bump sensitivity and hence grip is huge. The hydraulic bottom out actually works brilliantly and with 120ml of oil service intervals are reduced.

Finding the right spring rate can be some trial and error but the chart is very close and personal preference will dictate if you want more compliance or firmer setup.

Installation is dead easy. Only negatives are you can’t go back to air after converting and there is a 500g weight addition which I never noticed riding at all. Just pure grip and confidence in the front end.

Note. This will not fit fox 36 ebike forks with the 34 airspring.

10/10 would do again.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles