replacing chainring

peterk

Jan 11, 2020
Canada
My 2020 Stance-e made new crunchy sounds as soon as I put on a new chain. Fearing somehow it was the motor, I put the old chain back on and the noise disappeared. Phew.

The noise is definitely from the front, not the rear derailleur so I guess the chainring is done.

How do I remove the old one? It seems to be held in place by a big nut. Is it just removing this big nut? Is there anything godlike left-hand thread to deal with.

Thanks.

peterk

Jan 11, 2020
Canada
Does this help?

20210313_102808.jpg

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
On our Trances the front Praxis sprocket requires the chain to be properly indexed onto the specific cogs. Your sprocket appears diff than ours but check that the chain doesnt need a proper index

peterk

Jan 11, 2020
Canada
By proper indexing do you mean proper shifting from cog to cog? There has been no change in the shifting. Still spot on regardless of new or original chain. I've also made sure that the chain position is right for the narrow-wide ring.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Can't help you the Yamaha, I've got a bosch and the locking is a reverse thread.
What the previous poster means by indexing is the chainring has a wide tooth followed by a narrow tooth. This has to fit in the correct chain links. If you look you will see the links have a wide and a narrow link

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
By proper indexing do you mean proper shifting from cog to cog? There has been no change in the shifting. Still spot on regardless of new or original chain. I've also made sure that the chain position is right for the narrow-wide ring.

See attached image of our Praxis. Just taking a crack at your issue as your ring type may not need this level of detail

Cheers, Joe

4.PNG

peterk

Jan 11, 2020
Canada
Can't help you the Yamaha, I've got a bosch and the locking is a reverse thread.
What the previous poster means by indexing is the chainring has a wide tooth followed by a narrow tooth. This has to fit in the correct chain links. If you look you will see the links have a wide and a narrow link
I'm guessing they are all reverse thread.

Yes I made sure the chain matched the ring in terms of narrow-wide.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
You would expect that nut to be reverse thread but usually it would be marked with direction and torque setting............try cleaning it up to see if you spot any markings??

DariuszHoryd

Sep 21, 2020
Poland / Gdansk
My 2020 Stance-e made new crunchy sounds as soon as I put on a new chain. Fearing somehow it was the motor, I put the old chain back on and the noise disappeared. Phew.

The noise is definitely from the front, not the rear derailleur so I guess the chainring is done.

How do I remove the old one? It seems to be held in place by a big nut. Is it just removing this big nut? Is there anything godlike left-hand thread to deal with.

Thanks.
What chain did You buy ? 2020 Stance has 10spd. Stance has centerlock/directmount front chainring.

peterk

Jan 11, 2020
Canada
KMC Black 10 spd, not "e" specific. From ChainReaction.

With no resistance the chain is very quiet but gets crunchier with more pedal force. When looking at it while pedalling with force it seems to be slow in falling off the chainring almost like it is about to chain suck.

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire
reason i`m asking this is it looks the same as my full e
i used a hub nut socket 36mm from euro car parts, it was the only socket that
had the length to get round the crank shaft, and it was l/h thread
1615727573211.png

hope this helps
Laser Hub Nut Socket Thin Walled Deep 36mmProduct Code: LAS6279
check sizes first
(

peterk

Jan 11, 2020
Canada
reason i`m asking this is it looks the same as my full e
i used a hub nut socket 36mm from euro car parts, it was the only socket that
had the length to get round the crank shaft, and it was l/h thread
View attachment 55673
hope this helps
(
Yes a regular hexagonal nut and upon further inspection and cleaning, I can see a directional arrow on it for tightening direction. Mystery solved. I'll check to see if it's 36 mm before getting a suitable socket.

Thanks all.

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire
Yes a regular hexagonal nut and upon further inspection and cleaning, I can see a directional arrow on it for tightening direction. Mystery solved. I'll check to see if it's 36 mm before getting a suitable socket.

Thanks all.
if you do get it off instead of buying the whole
spider and chainting together maybe think of
getting a spider to fit and then it leaves your options
open to what chainring you want to use 32t,34t,36t etc

peterk

Jan 11, 2020
Canada
if you do get it off instead of buying the whole
spider and chainting together maybe think of
getting a spider to fit and then it leaves your options
open to what chainring you want to use 32t,34t,36t etc
It doesn't look like there is a spider, just the chainring mounted directly to the crankshaft. I think it's a 36t now. Maybe going to a 34t would be better as I am frequently in my largest cog and rarely in my smallest. Good suggestion.

funnel

May 15, 2020
World
You'll need to change the chainring too if the chain is "sticking" on the bottom. The chainring teeth become hook shaped due to wear. It happened to me when switching to a shimano ebike chain. It's possible the kmc chain could be a better fit but I never tried. I just bought a spider and experimenting with various sizes of chainrings I found on aliexpress.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles