Replacing 12 Speed SLX

HenBogan

Jun 2, 2020
Sheffield
Hi All,

I know there are a few threads in here and I have just started reading through them but I wanted to ask here too...

So my 12spd SLX on my jam2 just stopped working, basically it's lost all tension... It shifts up and down but there is zero forward pull, like a spring has snapped or something so my chain is hanging loose until I manually swing the jockey wheels back...

So I am thinking about going down to 10 speed as I say I have just started reading the threads on but I am unsure about which cassette I would need as it's obviously a 12 speed hub...

Is it possible to just put a 10 speed on and do I need microspline?

I just don't need the 12 speed I probably use around 5 gears in total tbh...

I would appreciate your thoughts or if you have already done so... Any good threads to read etc...

Thanks

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Hi All,

I know there are a few threads in here and I have just started reading through them but I wanted to ask here too...

So my 12spd SLX on my jam2 just stopped working, basically it's lost all tension... It shifts up and down but there is zero forward pull, like a spring has snapped or something so my chain is hanging loose until I manually swing the jockey wheels back...

So I am thinking about going down to 10 speed as I say I have just started reading the threads on but I am unsure about which cassette I would need as it's obviously a 12 speed hub...

Is it possible to just put a 10 speed on and do I need microspline?

I just don't need the 12 speed I probably use around 5 gears in total tbh...

I would appreciate your thoughts or if you have already done so... Any good threads to read etc...

Thanks
Check this first, if it helps https://crankjoy.com/review-update-shimano-xt-8100-arising-issue/
It's a quite common issue

HenBogan

Jun 2, 2020
Sheffield
Tell here if it helped
No luck mate...

Stripped the clutch just now and it's still the same, zero movement forward or back unless I force it...

The clutch was absolutely full of junk and I wonder if the internals have siezed..
I'm just going to order a new rear mech I think for now and look to go 10 speed next year...

Thanks for the video link that will be useful for the future...

Cheers

Jmc123

Nov 4, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
You'll need a new free hub if you want to down grade from 12 to 10 spd.
You would be able to sell your old 12 spd bits on ebay to fund a 10 speed drive train.

HenBogan

Jun 2, 2020
Sheffield
You'll need a new free hub if you want to down grade from 12 to 10 spd.
You would be able to sell your old 12 spd bits on ebay to fund a 10 speed drive train.

Thanks Jmc,

That's exactly the kind of info I was wanting to know, it gives me a better understanding of what I need to replace etc... Especially as my wheels are boost...

I really like the idea of less gears, I seriously only use half of mine and I'd rather pay 30 quid for a rear mech as opposed to 60...

Jmc123

Nov 4, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
Thanks Jmc,

That's exactly the kind of info I was wanting to know, it gives me a better understanding of what I need to replace etc... Especially as my wheels are boost...

I really like the idea of less gears, I seriously only use half of mine and I'd rather pay 30 quid for a rear mech as opposed to 60...
I've down graded from sram 12spd to shimano xt 11 spd. I've managed to pick up a whole new spare drive train off fleabay for around £100 and replacement jockey wheels are £15 ish.

HenBogan

Jun 2, 2020
Sheffield
I've down graded from sram 12spd to shimano xt 11 spd. I've managed to pick up a whole new spare drive train off fleabay for around £100 and replacement jockey wheels are £15 ish.

So if i was to drop from the 12 to an 11 speed shimano...

Would I need to change anything like the freehub or use a spacer on the cassette?

Thanks

Jmc123

Nov 4, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
So if i was to drop from the 12 to an 11 speed shimano...

Would I need to change anything like the freehub or use a spacer on the cassette?

Thanks
You'd need the whole drive train e.g. Shifter, derailleur, cassette, chain, chainring and free hub. However you will be able to sell your old slx stuff on eBay to help pay for the new stuff.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
No luck mate...

Stripped the clutch just now and it's still the same, zero movement forward or back unless I force it...

The clutch was absolutely full of junk and I wonder if the internals have siezed..
I'm just going to order a new rear mech I think for now and look to go 10 speed next year...

Thanks for the video link that will be useful for the future...

Cheers

I just looked at that video and it only did about half the service needed. Take a look at Dani's video, which shows you how to do a complete breakdown.

I've had to strip and regrease my SLX rear derailleur 4 times since I got the bike in January - including not riding it for 2 lockdown months. It seems to be a "well known" defect. It's just a PITA but fairly quick and easy to do once you've done it a couple of times.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles