replacement spare wheelsets

cjm_wales

Mar 19, 2019
Cardiff
I attempted to swap over my Maxxis recons for Schwalbe Big Bens yesterday. I managed to do the front, but trapped the rear inner tube under the bead, ripping a hole in it once the bead seated on the rim.

It took me over an hour and was a pig of a job. I think my idea of changing them back for the weekends was wishful thinking.

So I'm wondering if anyone here knows of a cheapish compatible wheelset at the same width (40mm)?

I could probably cope with swapping the rotors & cassette (even though I've never done it!).

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I am happy with my AM classic Smoking gun wheels. 40mm. Note the front needs a 110mm axle change as only the rear is boost out of the box. I have twos sets. Schwalbe on one and Maxxis on the other. Schwalbes were a bastard to seat.

Gordon

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I could probably cope with swapping the rotors & cassette (even though I've never done it!).

I'd just learn how to fit and remove tyres. it's a 5 minute (tool free) job with the correct technique.
Swapping cassette and rotors is going to take longer than that (unless you're using a powertool for the rotor bolts and you don't have an alu freehub body to contend with)

cjm_wales

Mar 19, 2019
Cardiff
Thanks guys.

I think the pain of doing them is still not worth shelling out £150+ for a spare set of wheels :D

Admittedly it was cold in my garage. I'm sure that was a factor. I used to have the same problem swapping over Kart Tyres when I was racing; I ended up buying a clarke little devil propane space heater, professional bead lube and a special removal tool!

I have plastic tongs - are there any better tools out there to make it easier?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I have plastic tongs - are there any better tools out there to make it easier?
Yes.
fingers.

You don't need tyre levers to change bicycle tyres.

TIPS:
if you make sure the bead is sitting centrally in the rim well (channel in the centre) it gives enough slack the bead can be rolled over the rim edge by hand.
this goes for removing or fitting,
each bead is exactly the same diameter/circumferance. (as is the rim edge)
I'll bet you've never struggled to get the first bead on as much as the second?
This is because you haven't got the bead centralised in that well properly.
the tube gets in the way.
let as much air out the tube as possible before removing a tyre. and don't put air in the tube before fitting.
Also make sure the valve isn't butted right up against the rim valve hole. (if it is it will be taking up valuable space in the well)

Last edited:

cjm_wales

Mar 19, 2019
Cardiff

Yeah, I was going about it totally the wrong way :D

Handy tip about partially inflating the inner tube too. Less chance of pinching.

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
These are bonkers cheap and the reviews are generally good:

Sun Ringle Duroc 40 Wheelset BOOST | Chain Reaction Cycles

Would definitely consider (a) going tubeless and (b) warming the tyres up before fitting. Mine are still a bit of a pig but its never more than 5 mins to fit and they seat nicely on the rim.
Just bought a set as spares myself, but also got another cassette, tyres and 2 discs for a quick swap.

cjm_wales

Mar 19, 2019
Cardiff
Finally got the rear tyre on. Was pretty easy in the end. The Halfords stand is bloody handy too.

The look kind of reminds me of a furry dog that's been for a swim ?

20190326_190935.jpg

20190326_191221.jpg

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
I attempted to swap over my Maxxis recons for Schwalbe Big Bens yesterday....
So I'm wondering if anyone here knows of a cheapish compatible wheelset at the same width (40mm)?

What width of Big Bens you want to use? I assume 2.8" or 2.6" to replace your Recons on Jam2 with 40mm ID rims.

Reason I'm asking is it seems you want a set of commuter tyres. I was in the same boat, but I really dislike changing tyres so often.

The thing is, there are not really cheap 40mm ID wheelsets available. So I decided to go with 2.4" Schwalbe slicks (Supermoto X) which can be mounted on narrower rims, in my case Shimano MT-50 wheelset (25mm ID, from memory). These were cheap as chips, but for commuting they are good enough. They come in 110mm front and boost rear. The site I bought them from claimed that rear will not take 11 speed cassette, but they were wrong. No problems fitting XT 11-42 in there.

Of course there is extra expense for matching cassette and rotors (rear with a magnet), but I think it is worth considering it takes just couple of minutes of effort to go from offroad to road and back as required.
So if you are willing to sacrifice tyre width, you can get better deal on complete spare wheels.

I think 2.4" commuters are plenty enough, I've done more than 1000 k's on them. BTW SupermotoX's come in 2.6" as well, glad I didn't go that route. No need for such a wide tyre on asphalt. And my Focus is hardtail.

cjm_wales

Mar 19, 2019
Cardiff
What width of Big Bens you want to use? I assume 2.8" or 2.6" to replace your Recons on Jam2 with 40mm ID rims.

Reason I'm asking is it seems you want a set of commuter tyres. I was in the same boat, but I really dislike changing tyres so often.

The thing is, there are not really cheap 40mm ID wheelsets available. So I decided to go with 2.4" Schwalbe slicks (Supermoto X) which can be mounted on narrower rims, in my case Shimano MT-50 wheelset (25mm ID, from memory). These were cheap as chips, but for commuting they are good enough. They come in 110mm front and boost rear. The site I bought them from claimed that rear will not take 11 speed cassette, but they were wrong. No problems fitting XT 11-42 in there.

Of course there is extra expense for matching cassette and rotors (rear with a magnet), but I think it is worth considering it takes just couple of minutes of effort to go from offroad to road and back as required.
So if you are willing to sacrifice tyre width, you can get better deal on complete spare wheels.

I think 2.4" commuters are plenty enough, I've done more than 1000 k's on them. BTW SupermotoX's come in 2.6" as well, glad I didn't go that route. No need for such a wide tyre on asphalt. And my Focus is hardtail.

I wasn't really concerned about width, other than ensuring they actually fitted the rims. I think I opted for the widest size chain reaction cycles did in 27.5. They are just about wide enough with no noticeable 'baloon', which is disappointing; I love the look of fat slicks ?

I'll look at narrower wheels & see what's out there.

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
Last edited:

cjm_wales

Mar 19, 2019
Cardiff
Well, that's 3 innertubes ruined at 10 quid a pop... either pinched under the head & ripped or punctured by a lever.

No riding for me tonight (or tomorrow!).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles