Replacement motor skid plate

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
The skid plate (I think it’s called that) which protects the underside of the gen 2 cx motor. Is it made by Bosch or is it made my cube and where do I get one from? The wife’s current one is cracked.

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
Beekeeper I had one made by frankie boy on this forum..... 565BAB41-4B86-4C80-A04F-C99EBB9CCA1F.jpeg B881C4FA-5512-4BA3-ACFB-104EFFCBFC14.jpeg
don’t know if he has still got any plate left to make you one, but it might be worth asking... I gave him £25 and he sent me it
had it on for over a year.....a few dents and scratchs but still protecting my motor
My mate bought a carbon fibre one which lasted about 6 months, then fell apart.......so he then got a frankie boy special.....still going strong ?
perhaps give frankie boy a message see if he is still doing them ?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Have you ever had any impacts in that area Zim? What’s been the worst? Any big pedal strikes? Can those damage the motor bearing?

I had a lot of pedal strikes on the e8000 at the start, though the BB was unusually low so I went for shorter cranks with the concerns that I'd destroy a bearing.

I think I've only had two on the Kenevo. I've caught the bottom guard three times so far, just from bad riding though.

I guess it depends a lot on where and how you ride.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
I built one for the 'Better Halves' bike, for a Shimano motor, but the principal is the same, using a plastic chopping board. It's held on with a couple of large cable ties and self adhesive Velcro tape on the down tube and under the motor.
Knocked it up in a couple of hours cutting it with a jigsaw and cutting a couple of slices out of it (not all the way through) with an angle grinder then heating it with a heat gun and bending it to suit.
Sorry for the poor pic, only one I've got on my phone at work. If your interested in having a go I can take some better ones. It's been on for about 6 months now and hasn't faulted yet.
sump guard.jpg

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Do you still have enough materials to make another bash guard if so Im interested. Cheers John
Hi @ery61 sorry I didn’t come back to you when I said would. Just checked, unfortunately I don’t have any Ali check plate left, but could order some if you want one? Won’t be for a week or 2, as can’t get it delivered before next Tuesday, when I’ll be on holiday, could do early Sept though.
Can you confirm you don’t have a gen 4 Bosch motor?

ery61

Aug 17, 2020
Northumberland
Hi @ery61 sorry I didn’t come back to you when I said would. Just checked, unfortunately I don’t have any Ali check plate left, but could order some if you want one? Won’t be for a week or 2, as can’t get it delivered before next Tuesday, when I’ll be on holiday, could do early Sept though.
Hi, will need to check on the motor and confirm. Thanks

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
I'd be interested in one for my Stereo Hybrid 140 with Gen 4 motor which is on order if you do a version for the current motor?

ery61

Aug 17, 2020
Northumberland
Ok, do you want me to make a bash guard for you then? £25 inc. postage to mainland UK. Will buy enough materials for 2-3 so can do a better price if you know anyone else who wants one.
Yes please, how do you want me to send the £25. Unfortunately don’t know if anyone else needs one.
Ok, do you want me to make a bash guard for you then? £25 inc. postage to mainland UK. Will buy enough materials for 2-3 so can do a better price if you know anyone else who wants one.
hi, yes please, unfortunately I don’t know anyone else who needs one. Can you send me
hi, yes please. How do you want me to send you the money. This is my number do you want to text me your details 07872186019. Cheers

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Yes please, how do you want me to send the £25. Unfortunately don’t know if anyone else needs one.

hi, yes please, unfortunately I don’t know anyone else who needs one. Can you send me

hi, yes please. How do you want me to send you the money. This is my number do you want to text me your details 07872186019. Cheers
On hol’s at the mo, will order materials later this week and PM you my PayPal details and get postal address.

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke

Materials on order, I’ll try and get it made over the weekend.

Aug 17, 2020
scottish borders
Hi I'd be happy to split costs as I really need something more substantional for my 2020 cube HPC 160 . Absolutely destroyed original motor hairs today at innerliethen ?
Let me know how you would like paid thanks Tam

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Hi I'd be happy to split costs as I really need something more substantional for my 2020 cube HPC 160 . Absolutely destroyed original motor hairs today at innerliethen ?
Let me know how you would like paid thanks Tam
Hi Tam, unfortunately I haven’t made any for Gen 4 motors yet. I’ve had a good look at my mates 2020 Cube 160TM, Whitt’s not impossible mounting will be a lot more complicated without drilling holes for new fixings. Have been discussing options with him, but his frame has just gone back to Cube, so not sure if I’m going to get anything done anytime soon.
It might be worth contacting Rockguardz to see if they’re planning on doing anything for Gen 4.

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
I'm interested to know how you attach these plates to the bottom as all I see is the two bolts holding the small plastic cover in place that fits just above the main cover ??

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
I'm interested to know how you attach these plates to the bottom as all I see is the two bolts holding the small plastic cover in place that fits just above the main cover ??
On the gen 2 you use the 4 countersunk screws that hold the plastic bash plate on.

6FA36FAD-CF3C-428E-B979-9353FEF53FCA.jpeg

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
Not there on the gen 4 unfortunately. I didn't want to just rip the plastic cover off to see as I've only just bought the bike so need to see how I can attach any plate.

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Not there on the gen 4 unfortunately. I didn't want to just rip the plastic cover off to see as I've only just bought the bike so need to see how I can attach any plate.
I’ve been looking at that for a mate who’s recently bought a 2020 160 TM. No obvious, simple, way of doing so without fabricating additional fixings.
Might be worth contacting Rock Guardz to see if they‘re planning on doing something for the Cube / Bosch Gen 4.

AlliumPorrum

Aug 17, 2020
Finland
Ok, I did not get even 200km's and now that crappy stock motor guard is totally gone from my 2020 Cube 160 Action Team. I really really wonder why do they produce and sell this kind of s*it on a "enduro" bike??!! :(

Yesterday I did have a small hit on a stone, and I checked right away that there was a crack on the motor guard. It did not seem so bad at the moment, so I just kept driving (carefully), but when I got home, I noticed that the guard was totally fallen off somewhere at the forest and the motor was all exposed :oops:

So my question is; do I really have to buy another stock motor guard again from the Cube (and wait for it to crack again sooner or later) , or is there ANYTHING better available anywhere at the moment??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles