Replacement motor skid plate

AlliumPorrum

Aug 17, 2020
Finland

Thanks Antti86, but I have understood that Standup's cover and all selfmade covers in that thread as well should be used WITH the original guard (which also gives protection for all the wires and connectors on the left side of the motor), not INSTEAD OF? I need something that fits on the place of the original cover, and protects the motor from all sides.

Jeffw

Mar 2, 2019
North West
Mine lasted one ride. Caught the top of a log and it smashed. £35 to replace as it was'nt considered as warranty.

Initially tried the Rockguardz, as they do one for the Cube 160 2020 model. To be honest, it was rubbish as is secured by two velcro strips. I posted up on the forum and there were a couple of other comments saying that the Rockguardz was'nt up to much

Got a refund and ordered the 'stand up' plate ordered from Italy. 16 Euros delivery, but more sturdy as it bolts over the existing guard. But again, has a velcro strip that lasted one ride. So have drilled a hole and secured with a heavy duty zip-tie. Has had a good workout since and holding up well

Would have preferred Cube to have put something a bit more sturdier instead of the flimsy plastic guard that is stock. Happy to pay more for the bike at the outset, as it's cost me more to replace the parts and of course, downtime for the bike

I since had the bike at Glentress for a couple of days and Innerleithen. The Stand Up plate has taken a proper battering, but like i said, has stood up to it. Otherwise it would have been a new plate every ride! :)

AlliumPorrum

Aug 17, 2020
Finland
Got a refund and ordered the 'stand up' plate ordered from Italy. 16 Euros delivery, but more sturdy as it bolts over the existing guard. But again, has a velcro strip that lasted one ride. So have drilled a hole and secured with a heavy duty zip-tie. Has had a good workout since and holding up well

Jeff, where did you order your stand up- plate? I only found that Italian page, but unfortunately I don't understand a word of Italy, and I'm not sure if they deliver for the whole Europe (and if, how much it costs)?

Jeffw

Mar 2, 2019
North West
On the web page, there is a 'translate to English' you can select on. They were pretty good actually, took about 5 days to arrive

Zudnik

Jul 27, 2020
NNJ, USA
Are all bosch cx gen 4 skid plates the same or do we actually have to find one from Cube? Just trashed mine tonight and I can't find a single source that has them in stock in the US. There appear to be some generic bosch skid plates at like ModernBike but I don't know if they'll fit.

Someone needs to get a 3d printer lol.

AlliumPorrum

Aug 17, 2020
Finland
Ok, I just got a new piece of the original motor cover for my Cube, and instead of ordering a StandUp plate to give it more protection, I decided to implement my own DIY plate under it! I used 10€ to buy a 5mm thick PE300 plastic plate at size 500mm x 300mm, cut it into correct size with iron saw & dremel, drilled 8 holes onto it, bent it with a hot air blower, and put it into place with eight pop rivets.

I convinced that NOTHING is able to break that PE 300 plate when used on e-bike, since that same material is used for skid plate material for motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles and even for cars. But to be honest, I'm not quite sure if those pop rivets are strong enough to hold the plate in it's place if I hit the rock hard enough, but I also think that it doesn't actually matter. If it just takes the hit and drops off, I can always easily put it back in 15 minutes. Or maybe I'll get some thicker pop rivets, or even try bolts & nuts, that should hold it place for sure?. ( As you can see from the pictures, I ran out of correct size spacers, but let's see if the pop rivets hold anyway...? :)

This was actually quite simple to implement, it did not even take an hour and it was ready and installed. And I also think that it looks quite nice, doesn't draw too much attention.

What's your opinion, should this give enough protection to keep the original cover in one piece..? I will of course keep you updated, after I get a few contacts with those bloody rocks :=)

20201010_083639906_iOS.jpg

20201010_091318248_iOS.jpg

20201010_091326806_iOS.jpg

20201010_091334365_iOS.jpg

20201010_104847394_iOS.jpg

20201010_105002472_iOS.jpg

Zudnik

Jul 27, 2020
NNJ, USA
Looks awesome. Thinking of doing the same although thinking of putting just a little slim piece of rubber where it mounts thinking that if it just absorbs a little that it would be good. I hate riding mine right now without any coverage.

AlliumPorrum

Aug 17, 2020
Finland
Looks awesome. Thinking of doing the same although thinking of putting just a little slim piece of rubber where it mounts thinking that if it just absorbs a little that it would be good. I hate riding mine right now without any coverage.

Actually I was thinking exactly the same AFTER I got it installed! Maybe I'll take it off, change pop rivets for bigger countersunk ones, and put some rubber in between...

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
Great job but I'd be concerned about clearance, the checker plate ones aren't that think, yours looks massive.

AlliumPorrum

Aug 17, 2020
Finland
It's 5mm thick when for example Stand Up- plate is 2.5mm, I don't think that another 2.5mm makes any difference in real life? And I'm also quite sure that if you wish to use 3mm PE300- plate, that should do it just as well since it's really tough material .

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Great job but I'd be concerned about clearance, the checker plate ones aren't that think, yours looks massive.
when looking at check plate option for gen 4 I hadn’t considered fixing check plate option using new holes, as didn’t want to do anything that might undermine warranty. I guess if your happy to drill holes for plastic / rubber options you could always use check plate if that’s your preference.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Ok, I just got a new piece of the original motor cover for my Cube, and instead of ordering a StandUp plate to give it more protection, I decided to implement my own DIY plate under it! I used 10€ to buy a 5mm thick PE300 plastic plate at size 500mm x 300mm, cut it into correct size with iron saw & dremel, drilled 8 holes onto it, bent it with a hot air blower, and put it into place with eight pop rivets.

I convinced that NOTHING is able to break that PE 300 plate when used on e-bike, since that same material is used for skid plate material for motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles and even for cars. But to be honest, I'm not quite sure if those pop rivets are strong enough to hold the plate in it's place if I hit the rock hard enough, but I also think that it doesn't actually matter. If it just takes the hit and drops off, I can always easily put it back in 15 minutes. Or maybe I'll get some thicker pop rivets, or even try bolts & nuts, that should hold it place for sure?. ( As you can see from the pictures, I ran out of correct size spacers, but let's see if the pop rivets hold anyway...? :)

This was actually quite simple to implement, it did not even take an hour and it was ready and installed. And I also think that it looks quite nice, doesn't draw too much attention.

What's your opinion, should this give enough protection to keep the original cover in one piece..? I will of course keep you updated, after I get a few contacts with those bloody rocks :=)

View attachment 41852

View attachment 41853

View attachment 41854

View attachment 41855

View attachment 41856

View attachment 41857
That looks awesome. I haven't had an y problems yet, but something like that might be worth the effort as a prevention measure.
Rivet nuts might also be quite good, then you could easily replace a broken plate

AlliumPorrum

Aug 17, 2020
Finland
when looking at check plate option for gen 4 I hadn’t considered fixing check plate option using new holes, as didn’t want to do anything that might undermine warranty. I guess if your happy to drill holes for plastic / rubber options you could always use check plate if that’s your preference.

I don't think that few holes in this plate could have any effect on the bike's warranty? Anyway, it's just a small & flimsy plastic cover that costs 30€/$, and can be changed in minutes just by opening 3 bolts. When my original plate broke, I actually bought two new ones; another is now toughened with the 5mm plate and is on bike, and another is waiting for it's turn in the closet. If I ever need to do any warranty claims, I can install the original one in few minutes :=)

E-Bazil

Dec 24, 2019
Monmouthshire
Ok, do you want me to make a bash guard for you then? £25 inc. postage to mainland UK. Will buy enough materials for 2-3 so can do a better price if you know anyone else who wants one.

Hi Frankieboy.
Are you still making these aluminium bash plates at all?
My Wifes` 2019 160sl has a poorly broken one lol.
Regards
Baz.

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Ok, do you want me to make a bash guard for you then? £25 inc. postage to mainland UK. Will buy enough materials for 2-3 so can do a better price if you know anyone else who wants one.

Hi Frankieboy.
Are you still making these aluminium bash plates at all?
My Wifes` 2019 160sl has a poorly broken one lol.
Regards
Baz.
Hi Baz, I’ll see if I have any materials tomorrow. Got a few projects on at the mo, so won’t be for a couple of weeks if I have though, will that be ok?

Daboss

Jan 17, 2021
Melbourne
Seems a bit cheap, surely there must be more expensive ones than that :rolleyes:
Yup, purchased the other week currently in transit, Looks alot better then most of the other options out there, as with most bash guards the force is distributed through to the frame when using existing bolt holes. Rather this option yes it's expensive but a small price to pay for some protection.

E-Bazil

Dec 24, 2019
Monmouthshire
Hi Frankieboy
That`s brilliant! Many thanks.
We were looking at getting the RockGuardz model but looking at the long term, your aluminium version seems the best product!
If you can get the parts that would be wonderful!
We`ll definitely purchase one off you if you can.
Keep us posted!
Best regards
Baz.

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Hi Frankieboy
That`s brilliant! Many thanks.
We were looking at getting the RockGuardz model but looking at the long term, your aluminium version seems the best product!
If you can get the parts that would be wonderful!
We`ll definitely purchase one off you if you can.
Keep us posted!
Best regards
Baz.
Just PM you.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles