Replacement for lost Kiox

backcountry00

Jun 29, 2020
London/Kent UK
Sadly, same for me this morning. Didn’t help that the ground is covered in leaves, was like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
Just ordered a new one (£200, ouch) and interested in seeing how people have secured theirs?
In my opinion, a magnetised computer on a mountain bike isn’t the best idea ??‍♂️

SydB

Jul 6, 2020
Uk
Lost mine second time out, fortunately managed to find after 20 minutes of searching in nettles.
Since the I’ve secured to the bike each time with an old garmin lanyard. D035A345-7F70-42D5-B02F-F4F6926B04CA.jpeg
CD7AB51D-C459-465C-815E-1900122F105C.jpeg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
My Kiox flew off a few times. I like position of a stem mount and the magnets do their job during a crash. A simple tether or lanyard attached to the stem bolts and Kiox helps prevents the loss and ruining your day.
A plastic clip allows you to completely remove the Kiox.
No animals were hurt or holes drilled.

FD619877-13BF-43E4-A69C-DDCBA42DDEE3.jpeg

8F694057-A82F-4BAC-9B99-AAB86AC2A3CB.jpeg

AA3F1BDB-F73E-4138-8B56-52E8B8B56E06.jpeg

GolfMaster52

Oct 19, 2020
Bentonville, Arkansas
Lost mine second time out, fortunately managed to find after 20 minutes of searching in nettles.
Since the I’ve secured to the bike each time with an old garmin lanyard. View attachment 43833 View attachment 43834
Thanks for the tip. Ordered a camera strap as soon as I saw this. Sure enough, out on a night ride, hit a big root and slid sideways. Managed to keep from going down, but started to pedal again and no power. Didn't even stop, just hooked the Kiox back up, put it in EMTB mode and kept on going. Brilliant idea that made my night....

baydoh

Dec 22, 2020
Australia
My Kiox flew off a few times. I like position of a stem mount and the magnets do their job during a crash. A simple tether or lanyard attached to the stem bolts and Kiox helps prevents the loss and ruining your day.
A plastic clip allows you to completely remove the Kiox.
No animals were hurt or holes drilled.

View attachment 50206

View attachment 50207

View attachment 50208
Great idea. So where could i purchase one with a clip mate?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Can’t you just put a screw/bolt in to fix it.
I could put a screw/bolt in to fix it but when I crash there could be a chance of the mount breaking. The Kiox can attach to the mount with the help of magnets. It can be removed easily or disconnects easily when knocked. A lanyard or tether helps keep the Kiox with the bike. A plastic clip or disconnect method allows the Kiox to be completely removed when I want.
I haven’t seen a commercial lanyard and clip, but for 99cents I can save $$$ for a replacement Kiox or a bad day.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
A lanyard is essential. Before I had one I lost mine in mud and leaves it was buried and took me over an hour to find it by re-tracing my route.
It flew off again yesterday but saved by the lanyard. I have it secured with a removable clip for security and downloads.
....and it’s a retro fit mounted on the stem.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I just installed a Kiox yesterday and it is a plug n play, however, charge the Kiox first (about 1 hour) with the mini usb port.

Be prepared to dissemble the bulkheads in the battery compartment. Routing the wire to the motor took the most time. After everything turned on and worked properly, I went to the lbs for motor/computer updates(free).

IMG_6450.jpeg
IMG_6449.jpeg
I will attach a lanyard/tether because the Kiox is magnetically held in place.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
These are what you need...https://amzn.eu/d/0RO5eMp also one for each bike !

The bolt is secure but how to you plug it into your computer to download ? ...and the mounts do break..

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Yeah, something like that. I took mine from a USB memory stick. There was a clip attached which allowed for complete removal of the Kiox whenever I needed to do that.

Yes mounts do break, but the position of the mount can lessen that possibility. On my Rail I use the top tube mount. On my Powerfly I use a stem mount. A bar mount, that is available, may have good options also.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
I have a Nyon which is similar only a larger screen. Using the screw is useless because I have to remove the Nyon after each ride to charge it. Plus the Nyon has a bike motor shut off (optional one time fee like $5) and you have to remove the Nyon and it locks the bike. Pretty useless feature IMO though as a thief can simply roll off with the bike anyway. I am going to order another lanyard though seeing how many of your Kiosks pop off so easily. But the Nyon does not have a lanyard hole like my Garmin 1030 Plus does. I'll have to get a stick on lanyard of some sort probably from Amazon.

Last edited:

Whitby Chris

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2021
Whitby
Glad I found this thread I pick my Rail 9 up on friday and will do this straight away.... just got to find a lanyard haha

Mamba90

Subscriber
May 19, 2023
Wirral
Whilst I am not saying it's impossible, the new Kiox 300 displays (when bar mounted) are held very securely. I've been on some epic rides and it's never looked or felt like it was going anywhere. It is retained by a spring loaded mechanism.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Glad I found this thread I pick my Rail 9 up on friday and will do this straight away.... just got to find a lanyard haha
If its a 2022 or earlier with a Kiox with buttons then yes a lanyard is a good idea
Whilst I am not saying it's impossible, the new Kiox 300 displays (when bar mounted) are held very securely. I've been on some epic rides and it's never looked or felt like it was going anywhere. It is retained by a spring loaded mechanism.
Agree, Never been close to having the Kiox300 fall off. Its attached VERY well to the cradle

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles