Replacement Coil (heavier than 650lb) for rockshox deluxe ultimate coil

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Have you ruled out a blown shock? or lost charge internally (pretty common failures for heavy agressivew riders)
To check:
remove your shock and remove it's spring then refit it to your bike with no spring.
Then cycle the rear through it's travel a couple of times noting compression resistance/rebound speed. Next open all damping adjusters (full fast) then one at a time close (turn to slow) each compression/rebound adjuster and feel the resistance. there should still be both compression and rebound resistance even full open and should increase a lot as you slow down each adjuster.
Basically mimicking what you'd do to test a shock on a dyno

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
9ccce2b5e592b74b1ee937c40236bd81.jpg

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
Have you ruled out a blown shock? or lost charge internally (pretty common failures for heavy agressivew riders)
To check:
remove your shock and remove it's spring then refit it to your bike with no spring.
Then cycle the rear through it's travel a couple of times noting compression resistance/rebound speed. Next open all damping adjusters (full fast) then one at a time close (turn to slow) each compression/rebound adjuster and feel the resistance. there should still be both compression and rebound resistance even full open and should increase a lot as you slow down each adjuster.
Basically mimicking what you'd do to test a shock on a dyno

I must of read your mind as i did that today with all this spare time lol

anyway the shock is bang on fine .

but ...i think im panicking for no reason as i did my sag again today with no kit just shorts, trainers and top on . and my sag is 30/31% .

with a bladder and helmet on im thinking this will be around 33-35% sag .. or am i wrong ?

if losing a few lbs over the next month this will perhaps make the sag around 30% with kit on ...Maybe !!

but im actually shocked (no pun intended) that my sag was only 30/31% .

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
perfectly acceptible for a DH set up. you might need to run some highspeed damping.
and might need to get used to pedalling a lower BB. - The Emtb rider's crutch ;)

Just remember. low BBs corner better. so stop pedalling into shit and rail the turns

Joeyrotundo

Apr 13, 2019
Canada , Vancouver Island
Fox is the only one I know of that has some heavier springs. I have a 700 that I’m not using since I went back to air on my ‘16. Not sure how the diameter compares between Fox and Roxkshox.

Internal Diameter of MTB Springs
35mm = Fox
36mm = CCDB, Bos, Ohlins
38mm = Rockshox
There are some others too , unfortunately.

Ride
Smile
Recharge
Repeat

Joe

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
perfectly acceptible for a DH set up. you might need to run some highspeed damping.
and might need to get used to pedalling a lower BB. - The Emtb rider's crutch ;)

Just remember. low BBs corner better. so stop pedalling into shit and rail the turns
Bottom bracket is higher anyway with it set to high in flip chip and with 160mm lyriks not the 150 standard . Bike is 160/150 not the 150/140 .

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Bottom bracket is higher anyway with it set to high in flip chip and with 160mm lyriks not the 150 standard . Bike is 160/150 not the 150/140 .

Yeah. pretty much every Emtb has a fairly high (IMO) BB
your 10mm longer lyrik only raises the BB by about 3mm tho.

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
Mind is made up and will order a Levo SL once this virus has done one .. you only live once and I’m going to enjoy life to the full . My missis also wants one . Told her she needs to sell her stumpy that I built for her as well and I will loan her the rest towards it . Lol she like that purple one as she’s got purple stuff on her stumpy .

Milas27

Feb 11, 2020
Iraly
I must of read your mind as i did that today with all this spare time lol

anyway the shock is bang on fine .

but ...i think im panicking for no reason as i did my sag again today with no kit just shorts, trainers and top on . and my sag is 30/31% .

with a bladder and helmet on im thinking this will be around 33-35% sag .. or am i wrong ?

if losing a few lbs over the next month this will perhaps make the sag around 30% with kit on ...Maybe !!

but im actually shocked (no pun intended) that my sag was only 30/31% .

What is your weight?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles