Replacement Coil (heavier than 650lb) for rockshox deluxe ultimate coil

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
I was about to order a ti-springs coil for my rockshox deluxe ultimate coil .. ive put a bit of weight on since i fitted it and now im bottoming out on 650LB cheap rockshox spring . im a big guy at 6.2ft and 260lb fully kitted and need a bigger spring . its dont need to be a titanium spring but as im thinking of getting a SL comp i will be swapping this coil over to new bike when and if it all goes back to normal .. i cant ride my local trails at the moment as i have to drive for 10 mins to get to them. im severly under sprung as the 650lb is very weak and only suits people who are around 90kg . even at 30% sag its rubbish . even locked out its no good for me .. please do not mention scout gregory .. hes ripped a lot of people off and has stopped trading . glad i never purchased a spring from him .

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
this is the shock ..

IMG_3907.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sorry. Can't help you with the spring just now but...
is the bike meant to run an air shock? (sorry if this is obvious but I can't tell if it's a kenevo or levo from the pic)
if the bike is wallowing, blowing through travel and bottoming too easily at 30% sag it sounds like your bike might have too linear a leverage curve for a coil shock. As well as the stiffer spring have you considered having your shock re-shimmed for more support? or depending the answer to my earlier question simply returning to air?

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
Sorry. Can't help you with the spring just now but...
is the bike meant to run an air shock? (sorry if this is obvious but I can't tell if it's a kenevo or levo from the pic)
if the bike is wallowing, blowing through travel and bottoming too easily at 30% sag it sounds like your bike might have too linear a leverage curve for a coil shock. As well as the stiffer spring have you considered having your shock re-shimmed for more support? or depending the answer to my earlier question simply returning to air?

The bike in pic is a stumpjumper and plenty of people have swtched to coil . its my weight im to heavy for the spring . im not going back to air as air is worse mate . the coil in the pic will go onto the Levo SL when i order and receive it as it fits due to the 210x52.5 fitting .

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah, plenty people switching theirs to coil isn't the same as the bike actually having a suitable LC for a coil to work well. Especially for a heavier guy or heavier use. Coils on trail/enduro bikes have become fashionable again.
im not going back to air as air is worse mate
in what way? What's actually worse? Can you not get desired sag within the max rec air pressure?

You've sort of confused me BTW. does the Levo SL have exactly the same travel and very similar LC to the stumpjumper?

either way, at your weight I'd certainly consider a shock re-shim

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
Yeah, plenty people switching theirs to coil isn't the same as the bike actually having a suitable LC for a coil to work well. Especially for a heavier guy or heavier use. Coils on trail/enduro bikes have become fashionable again.
in what way? What's actually worse? Can you not get desired sag within the max rec air pressure?

You've sort of confused me BTW. does the Levo SL have exactly the same travel and very similar LC to the stumpjumper?

either way, at your weight I'd certainly consider a shock re-shim

the shock on my stumpy is the same stroke length / shock length on the new Levo SL yes . 150mm travel 29er . and yes mate air even when max air im getting bottom outs on air . ive got a kenevo with a bigger 750lb spring and thats ok just but thats a different coil shock and stroke . my missis has a stumpy too which has my old air shock on it that 210x50 (140mm) and even when 350psi max i get bottom outs .

whats re-shimming ?

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
ive thought about cutting the black bung stopped on the stroke to get a bit more out of the stroke bottom out , even when rebound is on stiff its still bottoming out and im getting about 45% sag when i sit on it , i defo need a spring that bigger than 650lb ..

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
whats re-shimming ?
a full strip down and the comression/rebound shim stack reconfigured to alter the shocks damping. This can be custom tuned to increase overall resistance (or reduce it) but can also be configured to achieve damping more appropriate to the bikes LC and rider weight/riding style.
shocks come factory shimmed to allow an average range of damping adjustment for an average rider. and often average bike
you don't really fall into any of those categories

Basically speaking the damping is controlled by oil passing through ports and running past flexible metal shims of differing sizes while the shaft moves. These shims are removable and re-configurable

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
ive thought about cutting the black bung stopped on the stroke to get a bit more out of the stroke bottom out , even when rebound is on stiff its still bottoming out and im getting about 45% sag when i sit on it , i defo need a spring that bigger than 650lb ..
If you cut the black bung you will destroy your shock the next time you bottom out!
There are companies that will do a one off heavier spring but it is going to cost you. It sounds like you are in need of a 700-750 spring and to my knowledge it does not exist off the shelf, 700 is the strongest I have found. I’m having a 2018 Levo with a 700 spring and 230 lbs and it fits me perfectly.

Gary has a point!

Karsten

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
TBH it sounds like none of these bikes bar your kenevo you're riding are really suitable for your weight.
Heavier/harder riders ideally need lower leverage frame designs. The lower the leverage the lower spring rates required and definitely need a progressive leverage ratio if even thinking about wanting a coil shock to work.

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
TBH it sounds like none of these bikes bar your kenevo you're riding are really suitable for your weight.
Heavier/harder riders ideally need lower leverage frame designs. The lower the leverage the lower spring rates required and definitely need a progressive leverage ratio if even thinking about wanting a coil shock to work.
There is bigger guys out there than me lol .. im not even fat lol ..just like to do my weight training . ive toned down a bit over last 2 years as i prefer bike riding now either e-bike or analogue . i used to be 280lbs . well we are on lockdown now so i can lose a few more lbs . as it seems now ti-springs are no more its going to be hard to get a spring for the levo SL being the same as the stumpy .. the OD on the shock is 35 ive messured and there is about 2,5mm gap inside the shock and spring and outside of spring before it hits the frame , with a 10mm coil thickness . i can manage to get 700lb spring but the spring thickness is 11mm . and could hit the frame of the levo or the stumpy .

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands

i also did ask tftuned when ordering to make the shock for agressive riding .

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'm not calling you big or fat mate.
I'm simply stating your weight is quite a bit above the average your bike was designed to for.

i also did ask tftuned when ordering to make the shock for agressive riding .
did you pay for a custom tune (shims) and tell them your weigh and the bike's travel?

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
I'm not calling you big or fat mate.
I'm simply stating your weight is quite a bit above the average your bike was designed to for.

did you pay for a custom tune (shims) and tell them your weigh and the bike's travel?

yes mate they gave it a tune for my weight and Bike travel . The original travel was 140mm rear (210x50) I asked them loads of questions and it took a while back and fourth with Ruth at tftuned and they made the shock for my riding style . it was free due to buying the shock from them .
I’m not going to panic just yet as I can lose a bit before this crisis is over (lockdown) .When I first got the shock with the current spring I was at 30/35% sag .
I have put on 18/20Lb though since buying the shock as I changed protein blend and changed to egg white powders for packing muscle on As the protein I was having bloated me too much . Ive also changed my diet now . I also don’t have many weights at home as it was gym every day and sometimes twice a day over winter . And no gym now . I also broke my wrist in October too and didn’t do anything for 3 months and that packed a bit of weight on and made the mistake of still taking on 2 x 3rds of protein intake .

I really do have my heart set on the Sl and using the coil . As I like to use my own power but would like that semi assistance going up . Kenevo was to much bike for me and Kenevo is what I fell off breaking my wrist .

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
P.s just found the email with all the details on it .. 111kg kitted out .. and they tuned it for that weight , 29 wheel size , 150mm travel

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
Did TF supply the shock for the Stumpy then you have transferred it to the Levo? At your weight it will probably need a revalve and probably a progressive spring.
Not bought the Levo SL yet .
yes TF sold me the shock and tuned it for me at that specific time . My Weight has changed though . I fully intended to buy a ti spring from scout Gregory as i was going to order 2 x one for the stumpy and one for the Kenevo . But I got my spring from sicomtb for the Kenevo and it was perfect at 700lb but now that’s under spring (weight gain) .

Revalve ? Reshimmed ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Revalve ? Reshimmed ?
Being honest, If TF shimmed it for you at 111kg it's not going to do a whole lot more having it re-shimmed if you're just 6kg(?) heavier now. Yeah. you def do need to get a higher rate spring. maybe even buy two (a 700 and 750) if your weight fluctuates a lot.
I always have a few spring rates for the coil shocks on my DH bikes. Not just because of weight fluctuation but for conditions/tracks. On one DH bike I have 3 springs of differing rates (but in 25lb incriments) the other DH bike I have 2 weight springs of 50lb difference even though weight wise I always lie between the two

krisrayner

May 20, 2019
California
Fox is the only one I know of that has some heavier springs. I have a 700 that I’m not using since I went back to air on my ‘16. Not sure how the diameter compares between Fox and Roxkshox.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Fox is the only one I know of that has some heavier springs. I have a 700 that I’m not using since I went back to air on my ‘16. Not sure how the diameter compares between Fox and Roxkshox.
To my knowledge Fox have a bigger internal diameter and the length is different as well. Running a spring with too much preload(more than 2 full turns) will ruin the entire purpose of having a coil shock so the right spring is very important.

Karsten

Dpickin1

Oct 2, 2019
Israel
I was about to order a ti-springs coil for my rockshox deluxe ultimate coil .. ive put a bit of weight on since i fitted it and now im bottoming out on 650LB cheap rockshox spring . im a big guy at 6.2ft and 260lb fully kitted and need a bigger spring . its dont need to be a titanium spring but as im thinking of getting a SL comp i will be swapping this coil over to new bike when and if it all goes back to normal .. i cant ride my local trails at the moment as i have to drive for 10 mins to get to them. im severly under sprung as the 650lb is very weak and only suits people who are around 90kg . even at 30% sag its rubbish . even locked out its no good for me .. please do not mention scout gregory .. hes ripped a lot of people off and has stopped trading . glad i never purchased a spring from him .
This seems strange to me, I am around 255 in my birthday suit so add at least 7 or 8lbs kitted up and I have never bottomed the shock out (650) or have felt that I was under sprung. As a reference, I would say I ride on the aggressive side and like To jump and hits drops. I am on a kenevo, could the leverage curve and kinimatcis be different? I am not sure, but am confident one of the forum members could clear that up.

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
This seems strange to me, I am around 255 in my birthday suit so add at least 7 or 8lbs kitted up and I have never bottomed the shock out (650) or have felt that I was under sprung. As a reference, I would say I ride on the aggressive side and like To jump and hits drops. I am on a kenevo, could the leverage curve and kinimatcis be different? I am not sure, but am confident one of the forum members could clear that up.

Different shock ?
you are the same weight as me but I bottom out more .. not just one bike though I bottom out on the Kenevo with a 700lb spring if it’s even a 700lb spring . And that has a ttx coil on it . But when I first got the spring for the Kenevo it was spot on .. maybe a fraction over sprung . I’m getting far to many peddle strikes on Kenevo . I too do bigger drops and go a bit Quick .

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
could the leverage curve and kinimatcis be different?
You'd certainly hope so. in much the same way you'd expect most agressive enduro/DH bikes to have more progressive LCs than XC/AM/trail (or whatever it's called these days) bikes

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles