replacement chain

carra1969

Jan 28, 2019
Australia
Hi. Just bought an eone sixty 900E and looking to buy a second chain so I can rotate them. Does anyone have a suggestion for a second chain? Should I just get another KMC X11e, that is same as the original?

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
I use the KMC X11e. Works well.

There's been a lot of posts about chains. People have had mixed experiences with pretty much all brands (including some reporting the x11e didn't last them long). But they're all single data points.

IMHO, buy a reasonable brand name (Shimano, SRAM, KMC) and see what you can find at a good price today. Would I worry much about e-specific? No.

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
I'll give you a more specific data point, if it helps too:

KMC x11e + Sunrace MS8 cassette + XT mech = Has worked well for 200 miles so far.

Also, I found the x11e joining link easy to use.

Superkoochy

Patreon
Oct 19, 2018
Bathgate
I run the gold KMC 11 EL, They seem to last around 500 miles in the Scottish winter. More importantly, when used with a black Sunrace cassette they look swag.

braaten22

Mar 24, 2019
Norway
Hello, i would strongly recomend use this chain for det the setup om the 900E:
CN-E8000
This is Shimanos 11 speed e bike specific chain, the reason why i would use this is that Shimano has patent on there chains and chanrings. if you take your Shimano steps chainring and put the KMC chain on, take a flashlight i try to see if there is small gaps underneeth the chain and the sprocket. You would see the KMC chain propably wouldnt sit right on the chainring.

OlaGB

Subscriber
Mar 19, 2019
Norway
Hello, i would strongly recomend use this chain for det the setup om the 900E:
CN-E8000
This is Shimanos 11 speed e bike specific chain, the reason why i would use this is that Shimano has patent on there chains and chanrings. if you take your Shimano steps chainring and put the KMC chain on, take a flashlight i try to see if there is small gaps underneeth the chain and the sprocket. You would see the KMC chain propably wouldnt sit right on the chainring.

Very interesting! A bit strange why Merida chose to use KMC stock if thats the case, but i do like the thought of keeping all components from the same company.

Any thoughts on strength / durability between those two chains?

And do anyone know the exact chain lenght on the 900E?
The CA-E8000 comes in 116 and 138 (atleast where i`m about to order).

braaten22

Mar 24, 2019
Norway
I do not know the strength difference other then that the KMC chain will wear out quicker becuase it do not fitt 100%. Also our e-8000 chain gears better becuase the outer plating on the chain is matched better with the gear ramps on the cassette.

Regarding of spec with other chains is just a money question.

As you may figured out i work for Shimano in Norway.

OlaGB

Subscriber
Mar 19, 2019
Norway
I do not know the strength difference other then that the KMC chain will wear out quicker becuase it do not fitt 100%. Also our e-8000 chain gears better becuase the outer plating on the chain is matched better with the gear ramps on the cassette.

Regarding of spec with other chains is just a money question.

As you may figured out i work for Shimano in Norway.

Thanks, and i`ll take youre word for it and get the shimano one.

Might be swapping between them regularly, and see which holds up best just as an experiment then !

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles