Replacement Chain Guide

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
So I broke my E*Thirteen E*Spec Plus Chain Guide at the weekend. No idea how, I was riding up a fire road and heard a crack, I looked down and it was sitting funny over the chain ring and came off in my hand when I tried to put it back. Anyway, that's not important right now. What is important is sourcing a replacement, either another E*Spec Plus, or something better. Has anyone changed their chain guide for something else?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
With a narrow wide chainring and a clutch mech, why does anyone need a chain guide. :unsure:
Or am I just not riding fast enough over rough enough terrain? :giggle:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The Trek design team thought it needed one and the accountants clearly agreed otherwise it wouldn't be there. :D

I've ordered a ZTTO chain guide from FleaBay for 6 quid as no one has the 35 quid E*Thirteen guide in stock.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I had an e13 chain guide on my YT Capra. It caused more problems than it solved and I was a lot better off without it. Never lost the chain. I got a very good price for the guide when I sold it on eBay.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Contact E-13 Dom. Be honest about its failure and I'd imagine they will replace it hassle free.
They are pretty good with warranty. TBF they need to be. ;)
I don't know what guide you are refering to but lots of their stuff is quite badly designed but they do implement "revisions" to various flawed designs so you could be lucky and get a replacement that's a little more upto it's job

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I had an e13 chain guide on my YT Capra. It caused more problems than it solved and I was a lot better off without it.
The one that the top guide quick release lever would. erm... release quickly and without warning?
Yeah. E13 revised the top guide on those. and handed them out for free if you flagged the issue with them.
I have one here sat unopened.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The one that the top guide quick release lever would. erm... release quickly and without warning?
Yeah. E13 revised the top guide on those. and handed them out for free if you flagged the issue with them.
I have one here sat unopened.
Nope, not tat one. Mine was the "e*thirteen TRS+ Dual, frame assembly via ISCG 05, chain wheel range 22-38T". It came as OE on a 2015 YT Capra (2x10). The chain kept coming off and being jammed into the frame. Each time, I had to release the guide to free the chain. And given it was a carbon frame, I wasn't too happy with it. I replaced it with a Bionicon chain guide (a type of dangler) that worked a treat. Eventually I converted to a 1x12 and never lost a chain again on that bike.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ah.. you had that Capra.
I serviced one of those last week. antique front mech and all.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles