Repairing Tubeless tyres

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I recently got a relatively large hole in my tyre, too big to self repair. The little plugs worked ok as a temporary solution, but over time they can work loose and come out. I did a bit of research on what to do, and a few sites said you need to replace your tyre. As this is a pretty new tyre, I looked for a more permanent solution and came across tyre repair mushrooms. I hadn't seen them before so I thought I'd share them with you.
I got them from Amazon for €3.97.
Basically it is a mushroom shaped patch with a wire stem to help get it through a hole.
IMG_20190423_160348.jpg

IMG_20190423_160359.jpg

They have a sticky surface to help them cold vulcanise to the inside of the tyre.

I didn't remove my tyre completely, just cleaned the inside and roughed it up a bit with sandpaper.

Then I poked the mushroom through.
IMG_20190418_204455.jpg

IMG_20190418_204609.jpg

IMG_20190418_204627.jpg

To help it stick, I clamped it for a while before trimming off the excess. After blowing it up it had a very small leak that was quickly stopped by the liquid in the tyre.
IMG_20190418_205043.jpg

Trimmed off the excess stem, and hey presto.
I biked on it over 100 km the last few days and it looks like it will last.

IMG_20190424_093738.jpg

GOSBTS

Sep 24, 2018
Sussex
I recently got a relatively large hole in my tyre, too big to self repair. The little plugs worked ok as a temporary solution, but over time they can work loose and come out. I did a bit of research on what to do, and a few sites said you need to replace your tyre. As this is a pretty new tyre, I looked for a more permanent solution and came across tyre repair mushrooms. I hadn't seen them before so I thought I'd share them with you.
I got them from Amazon for €3.97.
Basically it is a mushroom shaped patch with a wire stem to help get it through a hole.
View attachment 13192

View attachment 13193
They have a sticky surface to help them cold vulcanise to the inside of the tyre.

I didn't remove my tyre completely, just cleaned the inside and roughed it up a bit with sandpaper.

Then I poked the mushroom through.
View attachment 13194
View attachment 13195
View attachment 13196

To help it stick, I clamped it for a while before trimming off the excess. After blowing it up it had a very small leak that was quickly stopped by the liquid in the tyre.
View attachment 13197

Trimmed off the excess stem, and hey presto.
I biked on it over 100 km the last few days and it looks like it will last.

View attachment 13198
Hi Akiwi,

Interesting fix! That looks a lot like a Hans Dampf. I've got one on the back of a Commencal Meta Power. I've had 3 flint slashes in it, all repaired by gluing a normal tyre patch on the inside and supergluing the outside carcass "split lines". I just don't think the tyre is up to the job, i'll be replacing it with something tougher when i have worn it out.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I would have to have confidence in the repair, otherwise I'd have to get rid of the tyre.

@Akiwi Pllease let us know how it performs on the trail, not just in the next week, but after while.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
The tyre is a 2.8 Nobby Nic 27.5. I'll let you know how it goes. I feel pretty confident it will hold. On the other hand the hole was relatively small at about 6 or 7 mm. I think it was on a piece of glass. but as it was dark at the time I couldn't see anything.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
assuming it vulcanised properly I don't see any reason it wouldn't hold. I've been using car tyre patched successfully with tubeless punctures for ages
(I don't even bother with the worms/anchovies at all, just use a tube/tyre boot to get home and patch the inside later)
Proper tears can be repaired by first sewing the rip (fishing line rather than sewing thread, super glue over the top and a car patch inside.

DrChris

Oct 29, 2018
Australia
I've just purchased a Maxxis Assegai 2.5" to replace the Hans Dampf on the back of my Meta Power. It's got a DH casing and more aggressive and more closely spaced tread pattern than the Hans Dampf. Weighing in at 1,350g! I was going to add a cushcore insert as well, but will see how it goes without it first,

Hi Akiwi,

Interesting fix! That looks a lot like a Hans Dampf. I've got one on the back of a Commencal Meta Power. I've had 3 flint slashes in it, all repaired by gluing a normal tyre patch on the inside and supergluing the outside carcass "split lines". I just don't think the tyre is up to the job, i'll be replacing it with something tougher when i have worn it out.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles