Repair Brose motor..

grieko

Sep 15, 2018
9468AP annen Netherlands
It is possible to repair the brose motor without a brose dealer? My Spesialized levo with brose motor, after 2000 km very noisy, not to ride Official no garantee, i did buy the bike second hand.
Possible to make parts with high tec metal or plastic printing..

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
It is possible to repair the brose motor without a brose dealer? My Spesialized levo with brose motor, after 2000 km very noisy, not to ride Official no garantee, i did buy the bike second hand.
Possible to make parts with high tec metal or plastic printing..
If you do not have a guarantee Specialized will supply you with a new motor. Obviously for a cost but I believe it is a reduced cost. Call them, you might find it cheaper than trying to fix it.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
I have just received the bearing size for the main motor bearing of the Brose motor and unfortunately it is another specialty bearing, not supplied by anyone!
We are looking into having this bearing manufactured as we do with the Bosch bearings. If anyone can give me any other bearing sizes for this motor? It would help get all this in place before everyone's out of warranty and stuck! (y):)

Last edited:

Timbo

Aug 31, 2018
France
Shamelessly pinched from a french forum some Brose repair info.
The pdf shows some bearing sizes from a Levo
Also some repair pics from a Brose mounted in a Bulls where the freewheel/sprag cluch disintegrated.
He used this freewheel to repair it;
Sprag Clutch FE 448 Z with good quality for gearbox and industrial machine, View FE One Way Freewheel Clutch Bearing, SUMA or OEM Product Details from Changzhou Suma Precision Machinery Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com
Apparently the frewheel body is made of plastic in the original, the replacement is in metal.
the repair was succesfull and the piece cost 92 euros
brose 2.jpg
brose 4.jpg

brose 1.jpg

Attachments

• Moteur Brose Levo.pdf
    372.5 KB · Views: 3,577

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Hold on guys! There is a few things the French man has left out of his pdf.:eek: The 6807 bearing in his photo has the designation 6807 stamped on it, but is in fact a modified bearing. The standard dimensions for a 6807 bearing is 35 X 47 x 7mm The Brose bearing is 34 x 47 x 7mm. It also has a lipped outer seal to seal the casing to the bearing. A standard bearing will not fit or seal your motor.
Likewise the 6805 bearing at the opposite end of the crankshaft also has a lipped seal.
But don't panic! Because you can't currently buy these bearings, we at Welcome to Performance Line Bearings - Performance Line Bearings are currently having some of these bearings manufactured and they should be in stock 2 to 3 weeks from now (y)

Kenevo cambo

Sep 7, 2018
Australia
Hold on guys! There is a few things the French man has left out of his pdf.:eek: The 6807 bearing in his photo has the designation 6807 stamped on it, but is in fact a modified bearing. The standard dimensions for a 6807 bearing is 35 X 47 x 7mm The Brose bearing is 34 x 47 x 7mm. It also has a lipped outer seal to seal the casing to the bearing. A standard bearing will not fit or seal your motor.
Likewise the 6805 bearing at the opposite end of the crankshaft also has a lipped seal.
But don't panic! Because you can't currently buy these bearings, we at Welcome to Performance Line Bearings - Performance Line Bearings are currently having some of these bearings manufactured and they should be in stock 2 to 3 weeks from now (y)
Hi bearing man, I’m interested in bearings for a Brose 1.2E motor out of a 2019 Kenevo Comp. I haven’t pulled the motor apart yet but I suspect the bearings have gone in it. (Extremely noisey under load and vibrating).
Unfortunately not covered under warranty because I had de-restricted the bike so I need to rebuild it if possible.
Bike is only 8 weeks old ?

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
how did they know it was derestricted? you just do "reset to factory settings" in MC before taking the bike in right?

Kenevo cambo

Sep 7, 2018
Australia
how did they know it was derestricted? you just do "reset to factory settings" in MC before taking the bike in right?
Yeah if only it was that easy ? Specialized can see more data than you think.
I’ve learnt the hard way! I would have hoped my 2019 bike lasted more than 8 weeks though ? I suspect my riding style doesn’t suit the 1.2E motor and perhaps I should have gone for the Kenevo Expert with the 1.3 motor.

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
Hi bearing man, I’m interested in bearings for a Brose 1.2E motor out of a 2019 Kenevo Comp. I haven’t pulled the motor apart yet but I suspect the bearings have gone in it. (Extremely noisey under load and vibrating).
Unfortunately not covered under warranty because I had de-restricted the bike so I need to rebuild it if possible.
Bike is only 8 weeks old ?

Why didn't you re-restrict it and take it to the shop for analysis? I am not suggesting dishonesty but with my background in mechanical engineering, an (assumed) bearing failure at 8 weeks, I would take some convincing that it was caused by the de-restriction. It could also be you have overloaded it by taking away the temperature protection causing some electrical meltdown of insulation which would also throw it out of balance either way you need to know the root cause of the problem so you can avoid this in the future.

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
Yeah if only it was that easy ? Specialized can see more data than you think.
I’ve learnt the hard way! I would have hoped my 2019 bike lasted more than 8 weeks though ? I suspect my riding style doesn’t suit the 1.2E motor and perhaps I should have gone for the Kenevo Expert with the 1.3 motor.

Bit slow on the last post, are you saying that you did a factory reset and Specialized detected it?

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Wow that never happend to me whats your battery firmware?

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Are you sure?
Did they show you the data showing your derestriction or just catch you out by saying ‘sorry mate it was derestricted’ and you just being honest and agreeing with them and saying yes?

My understanding is the old App does not have the ability to capture that data.

I would take it to another dealer and try again. 8 weeks of use tells me there was already a fault with the engine and this is not related to derestricting it.

Kenevo cambo

Sep 7, 2018
Australia
I am interested to see how other riders find the 1.2E motor over the next year or 2, perhaps I was the unlucky one or maybe there is an issue with it and failures will start happening to others? My gut feeling is the 1.2E motor is really meant for recreational riding and if you’re a more spirited rider It isn’t it up to the task.
Compared to my 2018 Levo with the 1.3 motor the Kenevo’s 1.2E motor gets very hot in comparison when riding the same terrain.

Last edited:

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
They looked at how many full charge cycles the battery had done vs distance travelled by the motor and those two didn’t add up.

I am interested to see how other riders find the 1.2E motor over the next year or 2, perhaps I was the unlucky one or maybe there is an issue with it and failures will start happening to others? My gut feeling is the 1.2E motor is really meant for recreational riding and if you’re a more spirited rider It isn’t it up to the task.
Compared to my 2018 Levo with the 1.3 motor the Kenevo’s 1.2E motor gets very hot in comparison when riding the same terrain.
That is no proof.... I would take that all the way to court if that was me!

Me for example, I have 2 Levos and batteries are shifted between the 2 bikes all the time.

Karsten

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
They looked at how many full charge cycles the battery had done vs distance travelled by the motor and those two didn’t add up.

Specialized, or local dealer?

Kenevo cambo

Sep 7, 2018
Australia
Lo
Specialized, or local dealer?
Rob - local dealer passed on the data to Specialized at their request.
Alarm bells started ringing when the distance travelled didnt match the charge cycles.

I plan on pulling my 1.2E motor apart in the next few weeks and will post up images of what happened to the hardware inside. Hopefully it is just a bearing or 2 and they can be replaced.

Last edited:

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Lo

Rob - local dealer passed on the data to Specialized at their request.
Alarm bells started ringing when the distance travelled didnt match the charge cycles. (8x charge cycles for a total distance travelled of 100k’s)

I plan on pulling my 1.2E motor apart in the next few weeks and will post up images of what happened to the hardware inside. Hopefully it is just a bearing or 2 and they can be replaced.
Hi Kenevo,
I have to agree with the others here, tell them you live at the bottom of a great big hill and it's none of their business how many times it's been charged!
But.. If you really want to pull it apart, be careful! I have not had one of the newest motors apart yet. But the earlier ones are a nightmare! You can't buy the bearings for them, I am having some manufactured as we speak. And, you can't buy the bearing seals for them either (I have another cunning plan for that one!)
Give me a shout if you do end up going down this route Kenevo, I would be surprised if the bearings are any different and I would be happy to help if you get stuck!
But, like I said, if you can, kick-off and go the warranty route first.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I don’t know how anyone can feel entitled to the full warranty when the bike was in operation outside the standard operating parameters.
That being said, that really sucks that they can figure it out. I am going to have a bunch of pissed off customers.
I have a strict “I don’t ask, you don’t tell” policy when it comes to derestriction.

Kenevo cambo

Sep 7, 2018
Australia
I certainly wasn’t expecting warranty but I was definitely not expecting my bike to only last 8 weeks!
Hence my comments r.e 1.2E motor perhaps not being suitable for my type of riding.

Dont get me wrong I still think the 2019 kenevo comp is a fantastic bike, I just don’t think the 1.2E motor should have ever been spec’d on it. It definitely compromises the bike ?

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Hi Kenevo,
I have to agree with the others here, tell them you live at the bottom of a great big hill and it's none of their business how many times it's been charged!
But.. If you really want to pull it apart, be careful! I have not had one of the newest motors apart yet. But the earlier ones are a nightmare! You can't buy the bearings for them, I am having some manufactured as we speak. And, you can't buy the bearing seals for them either (I have another cunning plan for that one!)
Give me a shout if you do end up going down this route Kenevo, I would be surprised if the bearings are any different and I would be happy to help if you get stuck!
But, like I said, if you can, kick-off and go the warranty route first.

Hey @Bearing Man , Just so you know, the 2019 Kenevo does not have 'new' 2.1 2019 motor in it. It is the same shape as the old 2017 and 2018 motors.

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I certainly wasn’t expecting warranty but I was definitely not expecting my bike to only last 8 weeks!
Hence my comments r.e 1.2E motor perhaps not being suitable for my type of riding.

Dont get me wrong I still think the 2019 kenevo comp is a fantastic bike, I just don’t think the 1.2E motor should have ever been spec’d on it. It definitely compromises the bike ?
Like I said above, there must have been something wrong with it to start with if it has gone in 8 weeks. I know loads of people running around on derestricted motors that have easily done in excess of 1000kms and have had no issues at all.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Motors failing because they are derestricted is a myth anyway they don't put out any more power than a restricted one

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Which motor though... 1.2, 1.2e or 1.3? I have no doubt a 1.3 can handle a lot more abuse that a 1.2.
All models dude. 1.2, 1.2e and 1.3.
The only issue people have with derestricted motors is their batteries can run out a little bit quicker than the restricted motor but then that can be balanced out by a bit of battery management. ie, using Eco more rather that Trail and Turbo

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Hey @Bearing Man , Just so you know, the 2019 Kenevo does not have 'new' 2.1 2019 motor in it. It is the same shape as the old 2017 and 2018 motors.
In that case, I should have the bearings within the next week or two. But I would still go for a new motor under warranty. Again, as others have said, de-restricting your motor will not put any more strain on it, and all motors are designed to run de-restricted anyway. If you had a full bike licence, insurance etc. you would be legally entitled to de-restrict your bike, so it cannot be in the terms and conditions for warranty.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles