Removing both wheels for transport?

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Hi all.

I still haven't purchased an eMTB yet. And after taking a walk in a local state forest today to do some reconaisance , I think I'd enjoy technical climbs and fast decents maybe even more than the trails I had in mind!

But I will need to transport a bike to ride anywhere. And I'd much rather transport it inside my car than use a rack (on roof or tow ball).

But my short wheel base Mitsubishi Pajero will require both wheels to be removed.

Is anyone else doing this? No doubt the chain would be grubby. But is there any other reason not to remove the rear wheel?

Last edited:

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
I do it. Takes 5 minutes. I kept the box of cane in and fashioned a sort of v shaped piece of card to sit it in to protect the interior.

I keep thinking if buying a Berlingo for bikes carrying but parking is an issue.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
I bought some vinyl flooring roll to put down in the cargo area to protect it from chain dirt.
Don't forget a small torque tool to tighten the wheel bolts, especially since you will be removing.installing then frequently. And two shims to keep the brake pads from extending too far.
Somewhat related: when I shopped for my current mini-suv the final test was that my bike had to fit. The sales droid said it was a first but went along with it as we put the bike in the back.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Just about to do it.

2 ebikes
Wheels off
Pedals off
Seat posts out
Bubble wrap around both frames
Duvet wrapped around first bike. Second bike resting on top.
Bubble wrap around all wheels separately

will post photos when I do it.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
It’s ok I’ll just use the slightly raised bit of extra road to leave it on. :)

Found a Berlingo for £800 in ok condition. Reckon it’s on if insurance isn’t silly.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I can get my large fat ebike easily into my Ford Focus hatch by taking the wheels off. I store the wheels in wheelbags (EVOC double wheel bags are perfect) to contain the mud and water and making them easier to handle.
A large plastic lined builders dust sheet is draped in the boot and over the reclined back seats, doors etc.
If I'm leaving the car at any point I also use the back seat securing hoops on the side to chain the bike to and cover it over with black sheet.

Last edited:

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Anyone removing the chain to help get the rear wheel out?

The Connex Links seem to get good reviews from the road going fraternity - may not be appropriate for eMTB use though:

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
I take the wheels off mine to fit in the back of my van. I put a big blue Ikea bag over the rear triangle and cranks to stop the oily bits causing problems and stick the rear wheel in another which covers the cassette. Works pretty well and the bags are about 75p.

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
If you drive alone, your bike will probably have enough room with only the front wheel off.

My size L fits in a twingo 2. In a very specific position, but still.

Usually you place the fork between the back of the front seat and the rear seat cushion. The rest of the bike is either on its side or up diagonally.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills

The Connex Links seem to get good reviews from the road going fraternity - may not be appropriate for eMTB use though:

No need to remove the chain.
I often remove the back wheel when cleaning the bike. Trying to get it back in the first time was a nightmare but you soon get the hang of it and now I don’t even need to think about it.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire

Selecting the highest gear (smallest cog on the cassette) before you stop will give you plenty of play in the derailleur to loosen the chain tension. Sram derailleurs have a small pin you engage after pushing the cage forward that locks the derailleur in a forward position to give you slack.

Bacalao

Oct 24, 2019
SoCal

No need to take it off to remove the wheel as others have said, but FYI I do run the Connex chain with the link on my Levo. I wax the chain so the link makes that process a breeze. I’ve run the link on Road and acoustic mtbs for years with no problems.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Its really no issue, just throw a tarp in the back of the car, take the wheels off (remembering to switch the clutch off on the rear derailleur) put the axles back in the bike so you dont loose them, chuck the bike in,, wheels on top of the bike and off you go. When you put the wheels back in to go ride ember to put the clutch back into the on position.

I have a couple of rubber garage floor matts that I put between the bike and the wheels. I also use these to protect the bike when I unload the bike, as you put them on the ground, flip the bike upside down onto the bars and saddle to put the wheels back on/off, so stops the bike getting damaged:

Last edited:

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Also maybe worth popping the transport blocks in the brakes incase you accidentally knock a lever when putting it in the car!

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
I travel with my bike in the car rather than on a rack etc, prefer it for security and fuel economy reasons, especially since I got an electric car.

Just check you’ve got everything in the car before you set off or leave, I once left a wheel in the car park at Thetford forest. In fairness, it was dark when I was packing it away, but I remembered about half way home.

I had a sinking feeling driving back, but there it was in the headlights when I got back to the deserted car park!

Bacalao

Oct 24, 2019
SoCal
I travel with my bike in the car rather than on a rack etc, prefer it for security and fuel economy reasons, especially since I got an electric car.

Just check you’ve got everything in the car before you set off or leave, I once left a wheel in the car park at Thetford forest. In fairness, it was dark when I was packing it away, but I remembered about half way home.

I had a sinking feeling driving back, but there it was in the headlights when I got back to the deserted car park!

Been there, done that! ? Fortunately same happy result.

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
Been there, done that! ? Fortunately same happy result.

I drove off and left a pair of 5:10s in a campsite in the Dolomites (they were under my van!), ended up having to buy new shoes at my next stop in Zermatt which probably cost more than a new wheel in a country with normal prices!

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
2 EMTBs inside car for our Shropshire holiday.

076117FF-2057-4557-AACA-74CE6C556884.jpeg
49D5C76E-CF65-4B39-88AB-BF1E1C8F5205.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I bought a groundsheet from one of the the outdoor shops (Go Outdoors I think). It was designed to go inside tents, cost about £10. It folds out from 4'x3' laid in the boot (where it lives permanently), to 4'x6' with the rear seats down and it is still double thickness. The next fold out is 8'x6'. I've had it for years. Essential bit of kit to keep the boot clean

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles