Removing and repacking Focus Jam/Sam2 battery

Danijel

Aug 13, 2018
Netherlands
Ride
Turbo Levo
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if any of you have ever removed the internal battery of a Focus Jam2?

I would be interested i knowing if would be possible to repack the battery in the future.

Greetings,

Danijel

Injidup

Oct 2, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
Ride
Focus Bold2
It requires removal of the motor, so it will take some time, but it is possible.
You could also add the T.E.C pack.
What does repacking involve?

Danijel

Aug 13, 2018
Netherlands
Ride
Turbo Levo
Yeah i figured that out. I even removed the motor (which is surprisingly easy). But when is saw the battery including all the wires in there i decided to not remove it.

Repacking a battery means replacing all the cells in the pack with new ones. This could save a lot of money because you won't need to buy a completely new pack from the manufacturer.

At a cost of around 4 euro per cell i could rebuild the pack for around 140 euro with LG 3600 mah cells. Focus wont probably sell me a new pack for that price. I do wonder what the price for a replacement pack would cost. Can't find that information anywhere.

Injidup

Oct 2, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
Ride
Focus Bold2
Yes, very difficult to find that sort of information. I can’t even find a price for a replacement charger. I was considering keeping one at work for when I commute, but I don’t need it as I have plenty of battery left.
Apparently you should get over 1000 charges before the battery starts to lose power. I’m charging 2 to 3 times a week, so that equals around 300-500 weeks!

bissona

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Oct 14, 2018
Guernsey
Ride
Focus JAM2
Removing the battery is a 2-3 min job once you have the engine off, but it can be a bugger to get back in due to the wiring loom. The battery does have a really annoying habit of catching the frame on the way out, requires a fair amount of jiggling sometimes.

We had a dead battery recently (child/sea water incident....) and the cost of replacement from Focus was around €450, so take care of them!

We also tried to break open the old battery (an electrical engineer did, at least) but it was so well caulked together than it didn't want to budge. We didn't want to destroy the case, so left as it as it was and just replaced it.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Ride
Focus Jam 2
I love my Focus Jam but this overall problem rather bugs me. Battery accessibility is my only worry especially when away from home and needing a charge.
My next EMTB will have easily removable battery...never mind the weight...:eek: ~And a gearbox:LOL:
Meantime I intend to HAVE FUN.

bissona

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Oct 14, 2018
Guernsey
Ride
Focus JAM2
Battery accessibility is my only worry especially when away from home and needing a charge. My next EMTB will have easily removable battery...never mind the weight...:eek:
We bought the T.E.C. packs and they work great for this scenario. Will be taking them to Spain in April to see how far they take us in a full day in the mountains. :)

Danijel

Aug 13, 2018
Netherlands
Ride
Turbo Levo
Removing the battery is a 2-3 min job once you have the engine off, but it can be a bugger to get back in due to the wiring loom. The battery does have a really annoying habit of catching the frame on the way out, requires a fair amount of jiggling sometimes.

We had a dead battery recently (child/sea water incident....) and the cost of replacement from Focus was around €450, so take care of them!

We also tried to break open the old battery (an electrical engineer did, at least) but it was so well caulked together than it didn't want to budge. We didn't want to destroy the case, so left as it as it was and just replaced it.
Thank you for this information. This everything i needed to know.

And 450 seems reasonable. Specialized asks around 850 for the Turbo Levo

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
Ride
Focus Jam2 9.6
Would anyone happen to have any pics of the motor removal procedure?
Even some of how to remove the cover to check for muck ingress etc would be useful.

Latest threads

Become a Patron!

Trending