Remove motor from Cube Reaction HT, add Dropper?

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Does anyone have experience of taking a Bosch CX motor off the frame of a Cube Reaction? Easy job?

I'm hoping to find space behind it to route a dropper post cable.

I can find very little evidence of anyone ever putting a dropper on a Cube Reaction Hardtail...

Real world experiences please?!

Snoozeboy

Feb 20, 2019
Lausanne
I'm about to take the motor off my Cube Stereo Hybrid to fit a new rear brake and hose. At least I will when the Bosch chainring tool arrives in the post.

I'll let you know how difficult it was.

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
That would be awesome.

Is there space for a cable run from the downtube, around the motor? And would the bend in the cable from downtube to seat tube be ok?

Snoozeboy

Feb 20, 2019
Lausanne
That would be awesome.

Is there space for a cable run from the downtube, around the motor? And would the bend in the cable from downtube to seat tube be ok?

I haven't done it yet. Still waiting for the stupid bosch tool to be delivered. However, the Stereo dropper cable, which was pre-installed on my bike goes that way and so does all of the rear cables and hoses (mech cable and brake hose), so I would assume there's space.

Snoozeboy

Feb 20, 2019
Lausanne
I fitted an upgraded rear brake today, routing the cable past the motor. I also have a dropper fitted by the lbs.

The good news is that the lbs didn't drop the motor to route the cable. The cable for the dropper is routed inside the motor cover, underneath the motor (see attached photos), which makes more sense as a cable doesn't like sharp corners.

The bad news is that refitting the motor cover is a bit fiddly, especially if you have a look it of dirt inside the motor cover as I did. Be careful you don't strip one of the threads for the cover, as I did.

20191010_101912.jpg

20191010_101901.jpg

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Useful info, thanks! I may pop off my motor cover, and have a look. I did wonder how I'd avoid a bent wire routing over the top of the motor so, yes, it makes more sense to route around the bottom instead. Easier too....

Goughy75

Sep 22, 2019
UK
Hi. I need to fit a new dropper cable on my wife's Stereo Hybrid 2018. I'm thinking of giving it a go myself. Does anyone know of a guide for removing the motor covers?
Thanks.

KB5

Apr 26, 2020
Seattle, WA
Hi. I need to fit a new dropper cable on my wife's Stereo Hybrid 2018. I'm thinking of giving it a go myself. Does anyone know of a guide for removing the motor covers?
Thanks.
I am interested in doing the same thing on my Reaction Hybrid 45EX 625

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Does anyone have experience of taking a Bosch CX motor off the frame of a Cube Reaction? Easy job?

I'm hoping to find space behind it to route a dropper post cable.

I can find very little evidence of anyone ever putting a dropper on a Cube Reaction Hardtail...

Real world experiences please?!
I did mine last year. Cube Stereo Hybrid Pro 500 hardtail.
There was already a plastic conduit tube in place so just fished/ threaded the outer through that.
Just need to get the inner and outer right but it works well. G.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
On my wifes Cube Access I fitted a dropper with external cabling. 5 minute job. I used 4 cable guides to route the cable down the seat tube and back up the downtube. Some complain the cable guides fall off. They have remained firmly in place on my wifes bike. I cleaned the area under each guide with Isopropyl first and then left the guides for 24 hours without fitting the cable to give the glue a chance to fully set.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles