Reign E1+ Pro 2022 - Auto Mode

mogulman

Dec 7, 2021
Colorado
If you don't like using the app for monitoring, I have my Garmin Edge 530 hooked up to my Reign E+ 2020. I can see the power level and battery % through the GPS display.

kcstatz

Mar 7, 2022
Canyon Lake, California
Just picked up my Ridecontrol Ergo 3 equipped 2022 Trance Advanced and having trouble fully understanding the ride control and it's full capabilities. There are NO instructions.

What is AUTO mode (on start up to middle blue light) ??
What does AUTO mode do? Does it pick the power setting for me?
A link to Giant instructions would be awesome?
I understand how to manually change power setting, turn off / on, get back to auto mode and how to get to the walk-with-me mode.

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
Just picked up my Ridecontrol Ergo 3 equipped 2022 Trance Advanced and having trouble fully understanding the ride control and it's full capabilities. There are NO instructions.

What is AUTO mode (on start up to middle blue light) ??
What does AUTO mode do? Does it pick the power setting for me?
A link to Giant instructions would be awesome?
I understand how to manually change power setting, turn off / on, get back to auto mode and how to get to the walk-with-me mode.
Auto mode adjust for inclines , double tap power button to engage , walk mode press middle button then hold up , lights cycle round on display , it's on auto mode each turn on

Curt_H

Apr 3, 2022
Twin lakes, CO
I find it incredulous that spending 7k on a trance doesn't get you a 2022 manual on the updated ridecontrol ergo 3. But I did get a great manual that shows how cantilever rim brakes should be set up. Really useful. I understand the middle blue light is the smart assist but once you start pushing buttons only God knows what setting your ultimately gonna end up with. If anyone comes across a new manual please pass along. But on a positive note.... The bike is an absolute riot, up and down.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 7.24.31 AM.png

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
Whats peoples thoughts on the auto mode itself im finding that its great goin uphill but when you transition from down to flat or flat to uphill there is a fair bit of lag where the motor wont assist for up to 10 pedal strokes before kicking in not a good feeling tbh trying to pedal with nothing at all it feels like there is a pause from a sensor maybe or is everybody finding this ??

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
I never use it. I'm sure Giant will eventually figure it out, fine tune it and it will become first class. Manual mode only for now. 😎

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I'm in the same camp as jeanmarc. I use the normal modes, and like them well enough.

To me, Giant's automode makes peddling 50 pounds of bike, feel like peddling 45 pounds bike, then at roughly 80 rpm, the motor takes over and tries to do it all, Dr Jeckle and Mr Hyde style. Its so contrary to their normal modes which I admire, that I'm lost as to how Giant got Auto so wrong🤔 but then again, some folks dig it.

It would be sweet if Automode could be driven by a heartrate monitor and simply select the normal mode required to keep HR optimal.

Last edited:

Curt_H

Apr 3, 2022
Twin lakes, CO
Whats peoples thoughts on the auto mode itself im finding that its great goin uphill but when you transition from down to flat or flat to uphill there is a fair bit of lag where the motor wont assist for up to 10 pedal strokes before kicking in not a good feeling tbh trying to pedal with nothing at all it feels like there is a pause from a sensor maybe or is everybody finding this ??

Curt_H

Apr 3, 2022
Twin lakes, CO
Hmmm. Only ridden my trance a couple times so far but haven't noticed the issue being that significant. Maybe 1 or 2 pedal strokes before motor kicks in and I attribute that to the gear I'm in. If the motor feels no resistance from the cranks I don't think it'll engage. I know giant claims like six sensors influencing this smart assist, but I haven't delved that deeply into it. If you feel resistance in the cranks when you pedal and it still takes what feels like too long to kick in, maybe there is an issue? I would test a little more maybe with a higher gear or two and see if the issue is the same? "Flat to uphill" seems like the bigger concern, and maybe the better focus for testing. I'd be interested to see how it goes.....

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
Got a couple of rides planned this weekend then ill decide in my own mind the bike is due a 6 week service so ill get the guys to take a look my pal has the same bike and he has said his is similiar

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles