Reign E+ 2022

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Yea, im a little disappointed to be fair. The issue seems to be because I bought the bike outside of Switzerland. The dealer told me to go through the importer, the importer directed me to a local shop, the local shop told me to go back to the dealer and told me the shock was a PITA. I dont mind sucking it up to have it fixed but I dont want to do it every 6 months.

Seems to be the luck of the draw with Fox but I guess you can be unlucky with any brand.

I think that nowadays the quality of these parts is similar. These are just individual models/batches that sometimes have more problems. But regardless. Did you contact the official distributor "fuchs-movesa" ([email protected])? If you did and they were "nice" enough to say GFY contact Fox directly and state what happened. It was never my impression that Fox doesn't want to stand behind their products. They even helped me with the fork that came from a used ebike I bought and as a second owner I had zero official warranty or guarantee. They just fixed it (issue was with the stuck damper knob - they replaced it with a completely new version that is now protected from water).

Mr Dog

Sep 26, 2021
Switzerland
I think that nowadays the quality of these parts is similar. These are just individual models/batches that sometimes have more problems. But regardless. Did you contact the official distributor "fuchs-movesa" ([email protected])? If you did and they were "nice" enough to say GFY contact Fox directly and state what happened. It was never my impression that Fox doesn't want to stand behind their products. They even helped me with the fork that came from a used ebike I bought and as a second owner I had zero official warranty or guarantee. They just fixed it (issue was with the stuck damper knob - they replaced it with a completely new version that is now protected from water).

Sounds like you had a better experience than me for sure. I did contact fuchs-movesa directly. They were not so rude as to tell me to directly GFM, they politely advised me to go and ask a local dealer to tell me to GFM :rolleyes:.

I did contact the dealer again to ask if a service at my own expense would be an easy solution;

> In your experience would a standard service rectify this issue? If so I am happy to send it to you and pay for that to have this resolved.

No, there is many ongoing issues with these

50% chances it's just cavitation and yes it is normal, no it does not fall under warranty and yes this is why X2 service is recommended every 50H of use because it will always cavitate, and as cavitation is gas in the damper, it mean you have no control of the bike whenever this happen

50% chances it is an actual manufacturing defect

0% chances the shock will be trouble free after that

That does not inspire a whole lot of confidence. I have bounced it back to the dealer that I bought the bike from. I will see what they come back with. If I dont get a positive response I will take your advice and reach out to Fox/Giant directly. Right now im not feeling like throwing any money at this. 50 hours per 200chf+ service sucks and my level of riding doesnt warrant that. If I can get a free fix I will give it another try, if not I will ditch it and maybe try a super delux coil.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Sounds like you had a better experience than me for sure. I did contact fuchs-movesa directly. They were not so rude as to tell me to directly GFM, they politely advised me to go and ask a local dealer to tell me to GFM :rolleyes:.

I did contact the dealer again to ask if a service at my own expense would be an easy solution;

> In your experience would a standard service rectify this issue? If so I am happy to send it to you and pay for that to have this resolved.

No, there is many ongoing issues with these

50% chances it's just cavitation and yes it is normal, no it does not fall under warranty and yes this is why X2 service is recommended every 50H of use because it will always cavitate, and as cavitation is gas in the damper, it mean you have no control of the bike whenever this happen

50% chances it is an actual manufacturing defect

0% chances the shock will be trouble free after that

That does not inspire a whole lot of confidence. I have bounced it back to the dealer that I bought the bike from. I will see what they come back with. If I dont get a positive response I will take your advice and reach out to Fox/Giant directly. Right now im not feeling like throwing any money at this. 50 hours per 200chf+ service sucks and my level of riding doesnt warrant that. If I can get a free fix I will give it another try, if not I will ditch it and maybe try a super delux coil.

Where did you get 50 hours from? The official for Float X2 is 125 hours or yearly. Whatever comes first. Nevertheless I have to agree that modern Fox shocks are a bummer. With other companies or older Foxes I could do a "small" service (cleaning air chambers, replacing seals if necessary, lubing air chamber) without costly tools. Without going deep (full damper service) I could run a fresh element this way for at least 400 hours. Full service every 3 years. Right now with the X2 taking it apart even slightly is non trivial task. Cost of life is increasing immensely so next suspension parts will be definitely bought so that they are serviceable fully at home (Manitou).

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
Where did you get 50 hours from? The official for Float X2 is 125 hours or yearly. Whatever comes first. Nevertheless I have to agree that modern Fox shocks are a bummer. With other companies or older Foxes I could do a "small" service (cleaning air chambers, replacing seals if necessary, lubing air chamber) without costly tools. Without going deep (full damper service) I could run a fresh element this way for at least 400 hours. Full service every 3 years. Right now with the X2 taking it apart even slightly is non trivial task. Cost of life is increasing immensely so next suspension parts will be definitely bought so that they are serviceable fully at home (Manitou).
An x2 will never work well if you leave it 125 hours. They are so sensitive. I truely dont know why people rate them. They work well for a few hours and need much more servicing than the fox recommended. Don't know anyone with one nowdays. All switches to rockshox. Can service that at home as well

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
I like that last part where they're saying ''0% chances the shock will be trouble free after that''

Service that shock and sell it...replace with a Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate air or coil and never worry about your shock anymore even if you skip a service.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
An x2 will never work well if you leave it 125 hours. They are so sensitive. I truely dont know why people rate them. They work well for a few hours and need much more servicing than the fox recommended. Don't know anyone with one nowdays. All switches to rockshox. Can service that at home as well

I have 2 of them myself ;). 2017 and 2022 models. 2017 has been through a lot. Around 500 hours. 1 big service 2 years ago. 1 small service from myself every year. Works like a charm. The 2022 unit is too fresh to tell. Probably 50 hours. Runs as new (cause it is). A substantial percentage of people on the trails and bikeparks of Germany and Austria have these dampers.

Mr Dog

Sep 26, 2021
Switzerland
The 50 hours was the 'Fox recommendation' stated by the dealer I have been talking with. I was literally just about to check that out as it seems a shorter duration than what I had read previously.

Regardless we are on the same thought path here. I do regular minor service on my RS suspension, it lives and works as good as I need it to. I did take a look at the Fox X2 procedure but it requires a load of special tools and generally looks like a PITA. I like to be able to carry out most if not all the work that I can on any of my vehicles. Not just because I am a tight ass but because I like to be able to do it, thats why I build my own wheels, weld up holes in my van, adjust the valves on my motorbike. The industries get my money in the end via upgrades, bling, replacement parts that I break learning the hard way etc.etc.

I agree, there are way more exciting/necessary things to throw money at these days than having parts stripped, cleaned and put back together every few hours.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
The 50 hours was the 'Fox recommendation' stated by the dealer I have been talking with. I was literally just about to check that out as it seems a shorter duration than what I had read previously.

Regardless we are on the same thought path here. I do regular minor service on my RS suspension, it lives and works as good as I need it to. I did take a look at the Fox X2 procedure but it requires a load of special tools and generally looks like a PITA. I like to be able to carry out most if not all the work that I can on any of my vehicles. Not just because I am a tight ass but because I like to be able to do it, thats why I build my own wheels, weld up holes in my van, adjust the valves on my motorbike. The industries get my money in the end via upgrades, bling, replacement parts that I break learning the hard way etc.etc.

I agree, there are way more exciting/necessary things to throw money at these days than having parts stripped, cleaned and put back together every few hours.

Nothing's better than home made wheels :p.

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
Would never ever buy fox again after having an X2. Obviously they won't all be bad. I had two, both bad. Friends had them, also had issues.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
What does the small service consist of?

The same stuff I wrote I did before. Cleaning, lubing and replacing seals if necessary. Without going deep into the damper-damper. I had to ask my dad to make me tools for that. Fox charges an arm and a leg for these. Not nice of them. They basically invented a subscription model for forks and dampers. It's hard to ommit the yearly service. But with simple CNC and lathe you can make these tools no problem. For DT swiss hubs I just bought the tooling in China. For 1/20 of the price.

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
You really hate fox. I can see how it can end up that way bad vibes or no. These are not cheap toys 😭
It's not the price, it's the performance. Always preferred rockshox forks. Selling my Zeb ultimates as have some new my23 Zeb's on the way. Was always on the fence with rear shocks. Reliability has meant I am rockshox only for the rear now as well.

Mr Dog

Sep 26, 2021
Switzerland
It's not the price, it's the performance. Always preferred rockshox forks. Selling my Zeb ultimates as have some new my23 Zeb's on the way. Was always on the fence with rear shocks. Reliability has meant I am rockshox only for the rear now as well.
I have a set of those that I bought to put on my other bike to replace the (trouble free) Zeb Select that I have on it right now. However having had this discussion and considering my experiences with local Fox support I am now considering putting them on the Giant and selling the 38s.

So far I have no issues with the 38s whatsoever and word on the street (or the internet) is that they are far less troublesome than the rear shocks. I will give it a week and see how the rear shock story pans out.

Mikects

Feb 27, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand
Finally got round to swapping out the rear HR2 for an Assegai DH Maxx Grip - huge improvement! Felt like I had an extra couple of inches travel on the back - smoother, quieter and much more grip. Could finally load up the front end without thinking the back end was going to do something silly.

Also swapped out the front disc for a 220mm Magura and the back disc for a 203mm Hope. Didn't really notice any improvement in power but completely got rid of any brake squeal.

Did an 22k bike park ride yesterday taking it easy as I was riding solo but still managed to PB the majority of segments on Strava. Its taken a while but I feel like the bike is finally living up to its promise.

Reign e+ 1 XL, Spank Spike 60mm riser bars, lockon grips, Assegai DH Maxx Grip rear, Magura 220mm front disc, Hope 203mm rear disck, Brake Bros organic pads, Specialized BG saddle, Shimano MT8100 chain, rebuilt front fork (to eliminate excess grease).

Next changes - single click front shifter, Maxx Grip front tyre - probably stick with DHF though.

John Cap

Jan 29, 2022
Greece
High temperatures (above 35 C) and mostly lack of time due to work, mean that I have only had the chance to do a couple of rides so far on my +2.

On the 2nd ride, at some point the Garmin Edge 530 beeps, I look at the screen and it reads "Wheel Size Calibrated".
I've used that headset multiple times with 2 other bikes (1 analog, 1 emtb), this "notification" came up for the 1st time with the Reign so I guess it did exchange some data with the bike (?).
I was not paying attention though later to see if any other data (like speed etc) were recorded differently after that calibration.

Anyone else noticed something similar?

Chuggz

Dec 13, 2019
Australia
High temperatures (above 35 C) and mostly lack of time due to work, mean that I have only had the chance to do a couple of rides so far on my +2.

On the 2nd ride, at some point the Garmin Edge 530 beeps, I look at the screen and it reads "Wheel Size Calibrated".
I've used that headset multiple times with 2 other bikes (1 analog, 1 emtb), this "notification" came up for the 1st time with the Reign so I guess it did exchange some data with the bike (?).
I was not paying attention though later to see if any other data (like speed etc) were recorded differently after that calibration.

Anyone else noticed something similar?
Mine did the same yesterday

shrubber

Jul 1, 2022
Italy
Hi guys... Do anyone has broken the eTRX carbon rim? mine is fault after 5 or 6 ride... the tyre was perfect, i hadn't any puncture and the pressure was still high. i think the side of the carbon rim is collapsed.

this is the photo. i'm still waiting Giant for the warranty

PS: do you have already tryed to use a 205x65 shock instead of hte 205x62,5?

1656674840702.png

Dannage

May 28, 2022
UK
I have a reign E+ 2 and from all the specs and data I should have a ZEB Select with the RC damper which only has high speed compression. I have HSC and LSC dials on mine though. Does anyone know if this is the RC damper or have I got something else in here. Or do I need to take it apart to find out? Thanks

1656767793450.png

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
I have a reign E+ 2 and from all the specs and data I should have a ZEB Select with the RC damper which only has high speed compression. I have HSC and LSC dials on mine though. Does anyone know if this is the RC damper or have I got something else in here. Or do I need to take it apart to find out? Thanks

View attachment 91441
Well the clue is in the writing that says charger 😉 are they Zeb ultimates on the fork stickers?

Dannage

May 28, 2022
UK
Someone messed up then as that's the charger damper
The specs say it has a "Charger RC" damper. But the Charger RC has only HSC. Was wondering if it was the Charger 2.1 RC2 as that looks like the only damper with HSC + LSC for the ZEB. Looks like I've scored. Happy days

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
The specs say it has a "Charger RC" damper. But the Charger RC has only HSC. Was wondering if it was the Charger 2.1 RC2 as that looks like the only damper with HSC + LSC for the ZEB. Looks like I've scored. Happy days

I saw an E+1 in a shop with a Kashima shock, it's a lottery what you will get these days but generally you will get upgraded rather than downgraded. Score.

Fordo 197

Apr 2, 2022
Uk
Hi guys... Do anyone has broken the eTRX carbon rim? mine is fault after 5 or 6 ride... the tyre was perfect, i hadn't any puncture and the pressure was still high. i think the side of the carbon rim is collapsed.

this is the photo. i'm still waiting Giant for the warranty

PS: do you have already tryed to use a 205x65 shock instead of hte 205x62,5?

View attachment 91348
I have 65mm stroke shock, All fine on my size large

IMG20220629152750.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles