Reign E+ 2022

Buckaroony

Dec 17, 2021
UK
Anyone else suffering from badly resonating XT brakes on the E+1? Screeches and resonates so bad you have to let go the brake and reapply.

I've changed the pads, realigned the caliper and axle, use brake cleaner on the discs (they never got contaminated), check the bolts and the disc is not warped

Help, not sure what else I can do!
I get this too, although I’ve not tried to sort it out yet. I did notice the other day that my rear calliper isn’t quite central on the disc.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
I rode my Reign E+ a lot in the last few days, lots of intense riding with drops & jumps.

The frame or something inside the frame near the headtube is now creaking extremely loudly when seated & bouncing on the suspension. The creak is now unbearable during a climb...sounds like I'm riding an old bike about to fall apart.

It's not creaking when load is applied to the pedals only which is pretty strange.

I noticed that the top of the battery was really dusty, so dust could've made it's way on a bolt/plastic or whatever causing the sound.

I wasn't able to find the source myself so I'll bring it to the bike shop tomorrow & report back.

NicoMTB

May 8, 2022
France Grenoble area
I switched the HighRoller to a BigBetty SuperGravity with Soft rubber compound, which was still too much "party in the back" for my liking. Now on a Kenda Hellcat in 2.6 with the heaviest casing (gravity), which has a nice supersoft rubber compound. While the grip is superb now in the back at around 1.5bar (i am 95kg in riding outfit), it indeed eats up battery. Used around 40% battery on 500m vertical and around 16km pusing my son up the hill. Even on eco mode with 75% I do feel the added resistance.
Last ride with my biobike friends I used up 10% for 500m vertical and paddled without motor a lot. Don't think this will be that much fun with the new back tire. The 40 tooth chainring in the front does not help with it either :D
Thanks for the info, 40 chainring upfront hahah good for fast shuttling. :D

NicoMTB

May 8, 2022
France Grenoble area
Anyone else suffering from badly resonating XT brakes on the E+1? Screeches and resonates so bad you have to let go the brake and reapply.

I've changed the pads, realigned the caliper and axle, use brake cleaner on the discs (they never got contaminated), check the bolts and the disc is not warped

Have you kept the OEM shimano rotors?? They are an embarrassment for a bike of that price to be honest. I swapped them out first thing. no noise except in the wet as usual.

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
Have you kept the OEM shimano rotors?? They are an embarrassment for a bike of that price to be honest. I swapped them out first thing. no noise except in the wet as usual.

I've just ordered some Ice tech rotors and see if they improve things. Local bike shop suggested that if that doesn't help post mount might need to be refaced.

NicoMTB

May 8, 2022
France Grenoble area
Any one here dropped Chainring size? thinking of fitting a 32T instead of a 36. I am surrounded by long climbs, and also looking to better match some mates who are,nt E-powered yet.
does it affec the software does it need any update for the power meter
. or can I swap just like a normal bike.

Dale_Calgary

Jan 22, 2022
Calgary
I've just ordered some Ice tech rotors and see if they improve things. Local bike shop suggested that if that doesn't help post mount might need to be refaced.
I ordered some similar Shimano replacements but couldn't use them in the back because the speed sensor wont stay in unless you epoxy it.

Mr Dog

Sep 26, 2021
Switzerland

Yes. I have. Which end? I get a bit of this on my E+1 now at the rear where I still have a standard shimano 203mm disc. I get it minimally on the front where I have a Magura 220 disc. I have a 220 for the rear also but not fitted yet.

I am not totally convinced that it is the fault of the solid disc on the rear though. I find the 4 pot shimano brakes very sensitive to set-up and the metal pads very prone to this. Sounds like you already covered alignment. I find that alignment takes more than just aligning the caliper with the disc. If the pads are contacting the disc at exactly the same time with both pistons then that helps for sure. I am still running the metal pads that my bike came with and I do get occasional resonating. I can live with it but will change the pads when these are done.

I had this issue on my wifes Trek Rail. I could not stop the resonance with shimano metal pads at the rear. I swapped the disc but the ultimate fix was to use resin pads. Fixed completely.

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
Yes. I have. Which end? I get a bit of this on my E+1 now at the rear where I still have a standard shimano 203mm disc. I get it minimally on the front where I have a Magura 220 disc. I have a 220 for the rear also but not fitted yet.

I am not totally convinced that it is the fault of the solid disc on the rear though. I find the 4 pot shimano brakes very sensitive to set-up and the metal pads very prone to this. Sounds like you already covered alignment. I find that alignment takes more than just aligning the caliper with the disc. If the pads are contacting the disc at exactly the same time with both pistons then that helps for sure. I am still running the metal pads that my bike came with and I do get occasional resonating. I can live with it but will change the pads when these are done.

I had this issue on my wifes Trek Rail. I could not stop the resonance with shimano metal pads at the rear. I swapped the disc but the ultimate fix was to use resin pads. Fixed completely.

On the front for me. Plan of action is as follows:

Realign the caliper once again.

If that fails fit a new ice tech rotor.

If that fails fit resin pads.

If that fails get the mounts refaced.

I'll keep you posted as to which of the above solves it.

Dominic1212

Oct 31, 2021
Germany
Any one here dropped Chainring size? thinking of fitting a 32T instead of a 36. I am surrounded by long climbs, and also looking to better match some mates who are,nt E-powered yet.
Hi, yes i did and it is plug and play. But you have to remove the Spider to mount the 32t Chainring.

John Cap

Jan 29, 2022
Greece
Today I was supposed to take delivery of my new Reign E+2. The LBS called to tell my the paint is scratched and off at the seat tube (see pic below).
I told them I'm not taking the bike for now, call Giant and see what they have to say.
What would you do guys if you were me?
LBS said we could fix it with some careful paint job by a pro and probably Giant will offer some small discount.
Otherwise if I do a warranty claim, and ask for a new bike, who knows for how many months I will have to wait ....

Opinions ???
IMG-a8c869ddedc94c9447b605aa5ee8d8d6-V-edit.jpg

Dale_Calgary

Jan 22, 2022
Calgary
Today I was supposed to take delivery of my new Reign E+2. The LBS called to tell my the paint is scratched and off at the seat tube (see pic below).
I told them I'm not taking the bike for now, call Giant and see what they have to say.
LBS said we could fix it with some careful paint job by a pro and probably Giant will offer some small discount.
Otherwise if I do a warranty claim, and ask for a new bike, who knows for how many months I will have to wait ....

Opinions ???
View attachment 87955
Aluminum frame not carbon, I would see what kind of discount they offer. We are all going to have damaged paint at one point.

Trancer

Feb 19, 2020
UK

Opinions ???
View attachment 87955
I'd push for a discount of £100. It would only get scratched anyway being a MTB.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada

Opinions ???
View attachment 87955
Touch up paint + discount sounds good 👍... if you want to ride it this season 😫

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand

Opinions ???
View attachment 87955
I'd ask for a discount and just put paint over it or add a frame protective patch. Its going got get worse marks than that in the future!

Mikects

Feb 27, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand

I get this too - worse on the back. Swapped the back rotor for an old Hope I had and instantly fixed. Resin pads made almost no difference. Thinking of putting a decent 220 on the front - maybe SRAM but wont be Shimano.

jbv

Sep 7, 2021
Vancouver Island BC

i put on a Praxis 32, the smallest they make and that can be fittted. however, i also swapped to a 10-45 cassette and short cage rear mech, so the gearing is essentially the same. i love it. it makes for a smaller drivetrain, and the rear mech is 30mm shorter, so on the small rear wheel it gives much more clearance. there are many steep climbs where i ride and i don't find any need for lower gearing, personally.

jbv

Sep 7, 2021
Vancouver Island BC
How is the clearance to the chainstay on the rear?

i also have these big Galfers and it's fine. i think they are slightly quieter in general, but it does depend somewhat on the moisture and dirt spray, speed, etc. sometimes at slower speed the first bite can still produce noise and vibration during wet rides. one thing to keep in mind is that huge rotors like this take longer to heat up before they have big power. slow speed riding in the wet (which is where i live, with no spring in sight yet, but that's another very grumpy story....) has no real advantage. but when i get a sustained descent where speeds increase and i'm on the brakes more, they are awesome. i'm also a larger rider at about 230 pounds fully outfitted to ride with pack. this bike excels at this kind of riding with it's suspension horsepower, geo and big brakes. love it.

jbv

Sep 7, 2021
Vancouver Island BC
ironically, i'm about to head out for a ride in cold, wet, slow technical trails, so i expect a bunch of honking and vibration from my massive brakes on my downhill sled of an emtb. nice thing is, the bike can really do anything well, so i'm happy either way.

Nobrks

Sep 16, 2021
Denmark
i put on a Praxis 32, the smallest they make and that can be fittted. however, i also swapped to a 10-45 cassette and short cage rear mech, so the gearing is essentially the same. i love it. it makes for a smaller drivetrain, and the rear mech is 30mm shorter, so on the small rear wheel it gives much more clearance. there are many steep climbs where i ride and i don't find any need for lower gearing, personally.
Please show us a picture of your setup, sounds interesting 🤓

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles