Reign E+ 2022

Line

Apr 2, 2022
Finland
My bike (E+0) has started turning off on its own. When it comes back on it resets the button mapping which is kind of weird.

Shop is looking at it, hopefully it's a simple fix! I went for a ride on my non-e bike and it felt like I was stuck in molasses (lol). Too spoiled.

I have once done that the assistant did not work. I restarted the bike software and the engine started normal again.

pwiles1968

May 22, 2022
Leicestershire
I rode my Reign E+ a lot in the last few days, lots of intense riding with drops & jumps.

The frame or something inside the frame near the headtube is now creaking extremely loudly when seated & bouncing on the suspension. The creak is now unbearable during a climb...sounds like I'm riding an old bike about to fall apart.

It's not creaking when load is applied to the pedals only which is pretty strange.

I noticed that the top of the battery was really dusty, so dust could've made it's way on a bolt/plastic or whatever causing the sound.

I wasn't able to find the source myself so I'll bring it to the bike shop tomorrow & report back.

I had a creak after a week sounded like head, stripped and greased head bearings and all suspension but still there turned out to be the seat post creaking the sound rang all way up the top tube, grab the seat and twist from side to side if its the same issue a little grease lower down the post fixed mine.

pwiles1968

May 22, 2022
Leicestershire
New to the forum, and to eMTB not to giant though my first Giant was a 1998 ATX-970 which i still own :), Had the Reign E+3 about 2 weeks now, had some of the normal issues, dented a rim, loose bolts, low power numbers between it and my garmin (which is how i found this thread) but love the bike I have come from a much shorter and livelier bike to this monster and love it. Only change the cockpit the brake levers were swapped out for some old 1 finger deore which work really well, the bars have changed for a 39mm rise nukeproof cut down to 750 the above was to get rid of some hand/thump pain i was getting which is now hopefully sorted.

Had some good rides so far, best one was this weekend, my first peaks ride with a couple of other eBs, still had 25% battery left so should be able to get 1500m plus if im careful.

IMG_5279.jpg

IMG_5283.jpg

Kevjob51

May 22, 2022
Colorado
I

I have a fox dhx 2 coil factory edition.
Exactly same measurement as original shock.
I do not experience a lot of pedal strike in low position as described in this forum on many occasions so suspect it makes bike sit higher in its travel... Either that or the fact I've come from downhill bikes that are low anyway...

View attachment 82462

I was browsing the thread today looking for information about a coil shock and saw this post, this frame seems to have the same crack from this thread today Giant reign 2022 frame cracking - EMTB Forums

Is this an ongoing problem on this bike?
coil shock.jpg

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
New Smart Gateway software update on my bike today, not sure what it did but it installed with no issues.
Another undocumented firmware update. Can’t run the app without it 🙁
I’m not doing this without the LBS nearby, even then, I’m not sure they’ll know what to do if it bricks the bike. Not going to use the app for now, the bike works fine, why bother…
The only feature I really need is battery % and I can have this using the LightBlue app.

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
Another undocumented firmware update. Can’t run the app without it 🙁
I’m not doing this without the LBS nearby, even then, I’m not sure they’ll know what to do if it bricks the bike. Not going to use the app for now, the bike works fine, why bother…
The only feature I really need is battery % and I can have this using the LightBlue app.
Best is to forget the app exist. I have never used it.

Spudley

Dec 16, 2021
New Zealand
I was browsing the thread today looking for information about a coil shock and saw this post, this frame seems to have the same crack from this thread today Giant reign 2022 frame cracking - EMTB Forums

Is this an ongoing problem on this bike? View attachment 88643
WOW!....... This photo was taken when my bike had hardly had any use.
It has had Alot of abuse since totalling 645 miles with no creaks, groans or issues.to be honest I was surprised to see this post with my bike showing this.
I haven't washed the bike since buying it as I'm a thrash it and put it away dirty kinda guy.
I Will do some investigation into it but honestly after 645 miles of mostly park riding since this Pic was taken I'd imagine it would have become a serious issue by now...

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Did a ride today...after updating the bike...

Did the climbing part:
7km 540m 8,4% incline (1/3 asphalt, 1/3 fire road, 1/3 wet forest path)
all in A mode. Used 33% battery for that.

I did a lot of testing of the Automatic mode on the same rides before so had a good feeling how it acted there.

What did suprise me was the Automatic mode today. To me it felt a bit less jerky, now when the trail becomes flatter or if you put less pressure on the pedals I feel it is applying the assistance according to that. Before I felt like the assistance was basically an on/off behavior in comparison to now it's more gradually controlled. Anyway I liked it a lot better ✌.

I did also check the frame/paint cracking issue on the inside of my frame as I can't see it from the outside(wrap foil) and did not see any signs of cracking or any material fatigue, the bike E+1 has about 780km and was bought in February. ✌

Last edited:

Acmac999

Dec 26, 2021
Australia
Did a ride today...after updating the bike...

Did the climbing part:
7km 540m 8,4% incline (1/3 asphalt, 1/3 fire road, 1/3 wet forest path)
all in A mode. Used 33% battery for that.

I did a lot of testing of the Automatic mode on the same rides before so had a good feeling how it acted there.

What did suprise me was the Automatic mode today. To me it felt a bit less jerky, now when the trail becomes flatter or if you put less pressure on the pedals I feel it is applying the assistance according to that. Before I felt like the assistance was basically an on/off behavior in comparison to now it's more gradually controlled. Anyway I liked it a lot better ✌.

I did also check the frame/paint cracking issue on the inside of my frame as I can't see it from the outside(wrap foil) and did not see any signs of cracking or any material fatigue, the bike E+1 has about 780km and was bought in February. ✌
Auto mode is good for cruising and fire road, manual mode for tech climbing and descending to avoid unexpected surges. I like the auto for cruising but that’s all.

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Auto mode is good for cruising and fire road, manual mode for tech climbing and descending to avoid unexpected surges. I like the auto for cruising but that’s all.
I didn't like the A mode at all. I was probably the one that complained about it here the most and I would agree with you before the last update to the bike. What I am trying to say it's that I think by the feel from my last ride that the last update to the bike changed something to the better.

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
I did like the auto mode when I was alone on a enduro track center. Auto on the climb was nice. Very zippy. I normally only use level 2 and level 3 when I select mode myself.

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
I did like the auto mode when I was alone on a enduro track center. Auto on the climb was nice. Very zippy. I normally only use level 2 and level 3 when I select mode myself.
I enjoyed the Auto on the climb yesterday much more than before the update, it felt a bit more controlled, it wasn't the on/off feeling as it was before...maybe it just me I don't know but that's how it felt.

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
I enjoyed the Auto on the climb yesterday much more than before the update, it felt a bit more controlled, it wasn't the on/off feeling as it was before...maybe it just me I don't know but that's how it felt.
My bike has never been updated. I still have not seen a reason to do it. I’m I missing out of something?

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Bike firmware update is how manufacturers deploy improvements to the motor/controller, some let you do it, some will require them done by the LBS. Unfortunately, Giant have a history of sketchy & unreliable updates, mostly to the app itself, not so much the bike firmware but the anxiety is there when faced with any update. 🤔 😨

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
Just got my reign back from the lbs after its 6 week check. The code r brakes have been bled and feel sharper i did ask the guys to check the motor as i felt the auto mode didnt feel right it felt like the transition between no pedal then assist was hit n miss there were delays at times of 6 to 10 pedal strokes before the assist came in this was as though the electronics were making their mind up it also felt like the brakes were on while pedalling like a lot of resistance the shop said no faults reported and recalibrated the incline sensor and installed the recent update unfortunately after 1x ride today no real improvement.
I have ridden bosch tour plus mode and emtb mode and they are far nicer to ride in my opinion.
Come on giant sort the auto mode cos the rest of the bike is spot on.

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
It's been a few months and still loving this bike. It can take anything and is just so planted and confidence inspiring. Riding more frequently now than ever before.

A few niggles:
Screeching front brake, new pads and ice tec rotor didn't solve it, Resin pads next. Not ideal as I suspect they will be chewed up in no time.

Seat post is garbage, action is fine but mine has serious side to side play and getting worse. It's like sitting on a bar stool. Don't really want a replacement from Giant as it won't last. Will replace with a Brand X as they are cheap and bullet proof.

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
It's been a few months and still loving this bike. It can take anything and is just so planted and confidence inspiring. Riding more frequently now than ever before.

A few niggles:
Screeching front brake, new pads and ice tec rotor didn't solve it, Resin pads next. Not ideal as I suspect they will be chewed up in no time.

Seat post is garbage, action is fine but mine has serious side to side play and getting worse. It's like sitting on a bar stool. Don't really want a replacement from Giant as it won't last. Will replace with a Brand X as they are cheap and bullet proof.
Take the oneup dropper. Running 180mm in a medium frame no problem.

Mr Dog

Sep 26, 2021
Switzerland
Unfortunately warranty here means 2 weeks out if action V €100 for a service.
Well since this weekend I also have the cavitation/slushing/loss of damping. Im hoping for a warranty repair as a service is €200 where I am. Fortunately I have another bike that I can use while I wait.

It went from a barely perceptable noise to borderline embarassing over the course of the weekend.

Maybe not a bad thing to have the shock freshly rebuilt as I was planning to sell the bike mid-summer anyway.

Mikects

Feb 27, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand
Maybe not a bad thing to have the shock freshly rebuilt as I was planning to sell the bike mid-summer anyway.
Anybody owning a 2022 Reign e+ thinking its actually a long term bike? I’m starting to think selling before the motor warranty runs out may actually be a wise thing to do?

My last bike lasted almost 15 years - needed maintaining of course but never cost more than a couple of hundred every few years to keep it running like new.

Endorium

Jan 29, 2022
Cannock
Anybody owning a 2022 Reign e+ thinking its actually a long term bike? I’m starting to think selling before the motor warranty runs out may actually be a wise thing to do?

My last bike lasted almost 15 years - needed maintaining of course but never cost more than a couple of hundred every few years to keep it running like new.
Maybe ebikes aren't for you then. I don't know any make of emtb that hasn't had a claim in warrenty. On good point on this one is the motor and battery. Not heard.of any failures yet. Likely do 3-4000 miles on it in a year so will see how it goes. It's usually the clutch that goes on ebikes but it's all part of the motor. If outside warrenty clutches are easy and cheap to fix. No ebike will last 15 years. Looking for it to last 2-3 years then see.wjat else comes along. Solid state batteries would be asking but that's way off

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles