Reign E+ 2022

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
The other day I used the Reign e+ in shuttle mode to get to the Top of Base Nato at Finale Ligure šŸ™ƒ

A total of 1400hm Uphill, 80% on Tarmac, rest on wet Singletrails.
14 Degrees Celsius
Mode 4 to get to the Trailhead as quick as possible.
Super Tacky DH Tieres on front and rear tire.
90kg with gear.
750wh Battery, started with 90% Battery, ended with 3% but wasn't abke to ride the bike tille is shut down.

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
My longest ride, 90kg, stock tires, 625Wh, mix of all modes, mix of different terrain, trying to have as much fun as possible/prolong the range(no assistance on flat terrain)...got to tired(cramps) before finishing off the battery āœŒāš”

20220327_175513.jpg

yamrider

Oct 27, 2021
Canada
What front light do you recommend? I went through a lot of videos and shops, but still unsure what is compatible and how to control the lights. Does the ridecontrol app let you to re- assign the middle button from the controller to activate the front light? Or can you do it from the app itself? Sure there is the ridecontrol dash with display and all but i would rather skip purchasing that only to activate the front light :D

Other than that iĀ“m quite keen on Supernova M99 mini which i also have on my Orbea wild. I should receive my E+1 on monday or tuesday latest :)

I mounted and wired in the Lezyne E-bike Macro Drive 1000 on my 2022 Reign and re- assign the bottom button to light switch , you have to hold the button down to switch light off and on also light comes on when switching bike on.

sprousaTM

Mar 4, 2022
Germany
Been riding the bike for a while now after the issue with the control unit at the start. Flawlessly at least concerning the motor.

Negatives:
- The batterycover tends to make funny noises between the plastic and the frame.
- The front wheel hubs bearing adjustment nuts keep getting loose (ok, its a 25$ shimano hub, what should I expect :p )
- The saddle and dropperpost creak although I have cleaned the dropper and put grease on it.

Positives:
- Deore Groupset works very well.. While the derailleur seems flimsy it works as well as the XT/Slx etc.
- Motor is awesome (have only ridden a e8000), has good torque. Riding level1 mostly with 50%, only switching it up going downhill or on really steep trail uphills or when riding with a full group of ebikers.

After my positive initial feeling about the Fox Float DPS in the back I bottomed it out a lot when going wilder. I tried increasing the pressure which works but the small bump feeling gets lost of course. Same with the Domain on the front. Works well until dropping deeper, going harder. Lots of hard hits in a small timeframe cause the Domain to stay deep in the travel.. Same for braking.. Both probably cause there is of course no way to adjust low oder high speed compression...
I recently upgraded the Domain with a ZEB Charger RC2.1 damper unit which works wonders (should be a ZEB Ultimate now performance wise). With added low Speed compression braking is way better, same goes for 1-2 clicks of high speed, if the trail needs it.
For the back I was lucky to get a Fox X2 Perf. Elite that someone sold off from a Giant Reign e+1 with fresh service, that I just put it.

Does anyone know the torque specs on the lower bolt that holds the damper and linkage? Every other bolts has torque specs on them, just this one does not.

Last edited:

markoricho

Apr 9, 2022
York
Been riding the bike for a while now after the issue with the control unit at the start. Flawlessly at least concerning the motor.

Negatives:
- The batterycover tends to make funny noises between the plastic and the frame.
- The front wheel hubs bearing adjustment nuts keep getting loose (ok, its a 25$ shimano hub, what should I expect :p )
- The saddle and dropperpost creak although I have cleaned the dropper and put grease on it.

Positives:
- Deore Groupset works very well.. While the derailleur seems flimsy it works as well as the XT/Slx etc.
- Motor is awesome (have only ridden a e8000), has good torque. Riding level1 mostly with 50%, only switching it up going downhill or on really steep trail uphills or when riding with a full group of ebikers.

After my positive initial feeling about the Fox Float DPS in the back I bottomed it out a lot when going wilder. I tried increasing the pressure which works but the small bump feeling gets lost of course. Same with the Domain on the front. Works well until dropping deeper, going harder. Lots of hard hits in a small timeframe cause the Domain to stay deep in the travel.. Same for braking.. Both probably cause there is of course no way to adjust low oder high speed compression...
I recently upgraded the Domain with a ZEB Charger RC2.1 damper unit which works wonders (should be a ZEB Ultimate now performance wise). With added low Speed compression braking is way better, same goes for 1-2 clicks of high speed, if the trail needs it.
For the back I was lucky to get a Fox X2 Perf. Elite that someone sold off from a Giant Reign e+1 with fresh service, that I just put it.

Does anyone know the torque specs on the lower bolt that holds the damper and linkage? Every other bolts has torque specs on them, just this one does not.

Just had my first weekend on the reign e+1, I also think the battery cover rattles a lot anyone found a good solution to this?
I thought it would have had a rubber seal round it at least to keep water out and stop rattles.
Is the idea that any water that gets in just runs out of the bottom?

Also had the bottom shock mount come loose and rattle, now sorted.

Had some dodgy rear mech cable routing issue, basically too much of a loop sticking out the chainstay going to the mech, its snagged and pulled even more out leaving it a bit tight at the top so when I turned right it changed gear, it wont pull back so i'll have to drop the battery out and see if its visible to pull from there.

Apart from that it rides fantastic !

sprousaTM

Mar 4, 2022
Germany
Another thing I found to be somewhat bad designed is the ditch on the lower damper bolt.. water, dirt and mud will just fall in there and cant go anywhere.. Besides the noises it really does ride fantastic. I have a Forbidden Dreadnought as a bio bike and both bikes feel totally different which is well appreciated :)

TomPugh12

Dec 10, 2020
England
Another thing I found to be somewhat bad designed is the ditch on the lower damper bolt.. water, dirt and mud will just fall in there and cant go anywhere.. Besides the noises it really does ride fantastic. I have a Forbidden Dreadnought as a bio bike and both bikes feel totally different which is well appreciated :)
Iā€™ve got some bits of MX/fuel tank foam to stop the mud getting in there. Just pull them out and blow the water out with an airline.

TomPugh12

Dec 10, 2020
England

Negatives:

Positives:

Lower linkage bolt is 15NM I believe.

markoricho

Apr 9, 2022
York
What goes in the holes to blank them off where the range extender fits?
Just given the bike it's first wash after the weekend and whatever was in them isn't there anymore šŸ¤”
Luckily I had put some foam under the cables under the battery to stop then rattling this kept the worst of the water out of the battery compartment.

IMG_20220503_201507.jpg

markoricho

Apr 9, 2022
York
There are 2 rubber plugs in these holes, looks like the foam you've put in place may have pushed them out.
Cheers
I did wonder that, I'll have a look on the garage floor šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø, I've only just put the foam in before it's wash.
Trying to cut down on the rattles, I think the culprit was the battery lock not properly tightened by the shop but the cables looked prone to rattling too.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Cheers
I did wonder that, I'll have a look on the garage floor šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø, I've only just put the foam in before it's wash.
Trying to cut down on the rattles, I think the culprit was the battery lock not properly tightened by the shop but the cables looked prone to rattling too.

The only thing rattling on mine and most of the users here I think is the battery door itself, I took a look at the cable and they seem to be tight (at least on mine!).

I can hear it creak from time to time on mine during a climb, even if well tightened.

markoricho

Apr 9, 2022
York
The only thing rattling on mine and most of the users here I think is the battery door itself, I took a look at the cable and they seem to be tight (at least on mine!).

I can hear it creak from time to time on mine during a climb, even if well tightened.
Yep I was blaming the door too but I happened to take the battery out to pull through the rear mech cable a bit as it came with a massive loop sticking out of the chain stay, The battery lock wasn't very tight, I could move the top of the battery, I didn't realise until I refitted it that as you tighten the lock it compresses the battery down into the connector, it's rock solid now.
I'll find out if it's better on the next ride.
I still agree that the battery cover is a bit poor and prone to rattle too..
The rubber plugs are no where to be seen, I'll have to sort some replacementsšŸ™„

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
Anyone else have a clearance issue? The ring touches the plastic and create a grinding noise. Feels lite the hole is not centered.
3D70C560-1662-48E2-8D7F-E78E206C1712.jpeg

Dale_Calgary

Jan 22, 2022
Calgary
Did my first real ride yesterday and it was awesome!! Rode mostly in settings 1 or 2 and that was really enough for most of the steep stuff and the power was great but I think I need to ride the battery down as its been stuck on 60-100% for 3 months. One thing I really noticed was the huge amount of grip especially with my Assegai max grip tire up front. Also the upgraded thicker Galfer rotors and pads are amazing and all I would ever need for stopping power.

This is a game changer and the year is looking very positive for me riding more than ever.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Not too sure of the look but first impressions they feel good Spank Spike 60mm rise. Hope to try them out proper tomorrow.
I had the same bars on my 2020 Trance E which helped a lot with back pain. So far, I donā€™t need risers on the Reign which has better geo and overall comfortable riding position for me.
Whatever works for you to keep riding! šŸ‘

Mikects

Feb 27, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand
First ride with Spank Spike 60mm rise bars. Not so keen on the look but felt great. Faster everywhere according to Strava but had to be a bit more careful on the uphills.

Fork rebuild was well worth the effort - was dubious especially as there was not a lot of grease inside the negative spring (compared to some) but neither was there anything like the recommended amount of oil in either leg - and none that I could see in the air spring (should be 3cc). Fork is now buttery smooth on washboard surfaces - just as it should be. Made it a lot easier to figure out what the rear shock was up to as well.

Downer was the seat post - literally. Coming off a small 6ā€ bump with the seat about 1/2 down - heard and felt a big crunch and the seat post collapsed. After that it wouldnā€™t stay up :(

0D51B80B-D6B4-4C84-8762-62DC834442F7.jpeg

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
First ride with Spank Spike 60mm rise bars. Not so keen on the look but felt great. Faster everywhere according to Strava but had to be a bit more careful on the uphills.

Fork rebuild was well worth the effort - was dubious especially as there was not a lot of grease inside the negative spring (compared to some) but neither was there anything like the recommended amount of oil in either leg - and none that I could see in the air spring (should be 3cc). Fork is now buttery smooth on washboard surfaces - just as it should be. Made it a lot easier to figure out what the rear shock was up to as well.

Downer was the seat post - literally. Coming off a small 6ā€ bump with the seat about 1/2 down - heard and felt a big crunch and the seat post collapsed. After that it wouldnā€™t stay up :(

View attachment 87626

Interesting re the fork, also found the fork harsh which improved after removing 2 of the 3 tokens, but low leg service is a good idea. I assume same process as SRAM forks of which I have done a few?

Re the seat post the same thing happened to me after I raised the post height from new. Raising it put tension on the cable and resulted in a saddle that wouldn't stay up. Adjusting the cable tension and that fixed it.

Mikects

Feb 27, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand
Interesting re the fork, also found the fork harsh which improved after removing 2 of the 3 tokens, but low leg service is a good idea. I assume same process as SRAM forks of which I have done a few?
Probably similar but there is a good guide on the Fox site and some videos on Youtube. Make sure you have the right oils, new crush washers, o rings and tools. Pretty straight forward and can probably be completed in around an hour. I made my own shaft clamp out of a block of wood with a 10mm drill bit - worked fine but you definitely need to heat the shaft a bit to soften the loctite. Also made a bullet out of an old marker penā€¦..

NicoMTB

May 8, 2022
France Grenoble area
Hi Guys,

I just got a new Giant Reign E+1 swapped out rotors for some galfer 223 front and rear, grips seat ect. until a week ago i was riding a Mondraker dune XR. Got to say the Reign is Brilliant downhill, so close to my Canyon sender dh bike.
Now on my first ride i did 36 km 1500m vert, finished with 89% battery. mostly riding eco at 75% assitance. 1 lap in auto mode and 1 in active factory setting. these 2 seem to eat up quicker. on stock tires. I'm thinking 2000m vert should be possible with the 625 battery, or may be not far off.

Where i Live in the french alps , there is not much flat, it just goes Up or Down.
I have the 625wh battery, does the 750 add much more range?
Do DH tires add alot of drag and drain quicker, from your real world experience?

sprousaTM

Mar 4, 2022
Germany
I switched the HighRoller to a BigBetty SuperGravity with Soft rubber compound, which was still too much "party in the back" for my liking. Now on a Kenda Hellcat in 2.6 with the heaviest casing (gravity), which has a nice supersoft rubber compound. While the grip is superb now in the back at around 1.5bar (i am 95kg in riding outfit), it indeed eats up battery. Used around 40% battery on 500m vertical and around 16km pusing my son up the hill. Even on eco mode with 75% I do feel the added resistance.
Last ride with my biobike friends I used up 10% for 500m vertical and paddled without motor a lot. Don't think this will be that much fun with the new back tire. The 40 tooth chainring in the front does not help with it either :D

Nobrks

Sep 16, 2021
Denmark
Shorter cranks?
I have size large with 165mm cranks, I am heading for 155 or 150mm cranks.

FSA and Hope, have some, but any experiance or suggestions on this matter would be appriciated ā˜ŗ

Last edited:

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
Anyone else suffering from badly resonating XT brakes on the E+1? Screeches and resonates so bad you have to let go the brake and reapply.

I've changed the pads, realigned the caliper and axle, use brake cleaner on the discs (they never got contaminated), check the bolts and the disc is not warped

Help, not sure what else I can do!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles