Reign E+ 2022 battery woes

ironmanalishi

Dec 28, 2021
South Wales uk
Hi, anyone else feel like their battery range on the 625wh model is woefully inadequate ? I’m barely getting 30 miles of mixed riding and I know how all the factors can affect it. However, I’m getting significantly less mileage than I used to get out of my old 500wh ebike and when I go on group rides with my mates on other marques of ebike, I’m without fail, the first one to run flat, whereas they always seem to have plenty in reserve…is it just me ? Ps I’m avoiding the automatic mode !

Burki

Nov 16, 2021
Germany
Had the same issues as you. Took my Reign E+1 back to the dealer, but they said everything is ok and couldn't find any fault.
I got so annoyed that I sold it straight away. Could't be bothered to waste any more time and nerves with this issue. Giant doesn't get their software right with this bike and the battery range is just a bad joke. Seems like not every bike is affected though.

M AP

Dec 27, 2021
Milan, Italy
Had the same issues as you. Took my Reign E+1 back to the dealer, but they said everything is ok and couldn't find any fault.
I got so annoyed that I sold it straight away. Could't be bothered to waste any more time and nerves with this issue. Giant doesn't get their software right with this bike and the battery range is just a bad joke. Seems like not every bike is affected though.
I’m sorry for you and I feel lucky I don’t have any issues with my E+0. I really love this bike both clinging and down. I’m riding with friends with Shimano, Bosch and Specs and at the end of the day, factoring the batteries sizes that are 600+ or 700+ Wh my Yamaha PW-X3 is absolutely in line if not better than the others. I’m also not using the auto mode, if not occasionally. I’ve recently set all modes to their minimum hoping to reduce the overpower of the auto mode. It does not seem to work though since I’m still not sure the auto mode is using my settings. I’ve to say anyway that last Sunday among my group I was the only one able to make a very steep and difficult climb with auto mode. I’m starting to reconsider the auto mode, it’s not an allround mode as the eMTB mode with Bosch, but possibly to be used in very few situations. I’m still experimenting though.

Nobrks

Sep 16, 2021
Denmark
I have not noticed, high battery consumtion, had 500wh Trance e+, and that one had 10% shorter range than buddies bosh 625wh.
Now with the 750wh I love not too be scared to run out of juce, and porportional similar range as before.

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
try adjusting down the assistance level in the app. torq and current is related so lowering assistance will lower consumption-> longer battery life. If you had a 500wh battery you might have had a 70nm motor.

If you increase torque you will increase current.

625wh/85nm give about the same range as 500wh/70nm.

30miles/50km doesn’t sound bad especially if you do a lot of climbing. What range where you expecting?

have you tested pedaling around with no assistance? It should feel pretty good on flat ground even without a motor. Some thing like a over torqued axel might create excess drag that has to be overcome. Spin both wheels to see if they run easy (break rubb).

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
And bear in mind that new battery need at least 5 full charging cycles to provide you the full juice.
This is true for all of the four Giant E-MTBs I've owned (Models 2019/2020/2021/2022).

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
Hi, anyone else feel like their battery range on the 625wh model is woefully inadequate ? I’m barely getting 30 miles of mixed riding and I know how all the factors can affect it. However, I’m getting significantly less mileage than I used to get out of my old 500wh ebike and when I go on group rides with my mates on other marques of ebike, I’m without fail, the first one to run flat, whereas they always seem to have plenty in reserve…is it just me ? Ps I’m avoiding the automatic mode !
Honestly no, I go so much further than Specialized and Merida friends that they make jokes about it. I have it set on 3/5 power almost all the time. I still have my 500wh Kenevo and it is way off the pace.
Is there a huge weight difference between you and your friends, or how you ride it?

ironmanalishi

Dec 28, 2021
South Wales uk
Well, there by hangs a tale…I’m probably the biggest in terms of height and weight …..6’ and about 98 kilos…..one thing I’ve did for todays ride, which was only a small amount of climbing, including 2 mountain ascents (as I was out in bicycle tracks predominantly) was to increase the tyre pressure to 40psi front and back and I managed 28 miles with 2 bars of battery still left upon my return, so I see that as good progress…when I’m riding on the slop and proper mtb trails, I usually run about 20 to 25ish psi ….and I reackon that’s made a significant difference ….also I kept in the eco/eco + modes avoiding the automatic mode where possible , so I’m a little more satisfied than before …..

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
Well, there by hangs a tale…I’m probably the biggest in terms of height and weight …..6’ and about 98 kilos…..one thing I’ve did for todays ride, which was only a small amount of climbing, including 2 mountain ascents (as I was out in bicycle tracks predominantly) was to increase the tyre pressure to 40psi front and back and I managed 28 miles with 2 bars of battery still left upon my return, so I see that as good progress…when I’m riding on the slop and proper mtb trails, I usually run about 20 to 25ish psi ….and I reackon that’s made a significant difference ….also I kept in the eco/eco + modes avoiding the automatic mode where possible , so I’m a little more satisfied than before …..
Anything that makes a normal bike roll less will drain battery faster in a Emtb. Low tire pressure, aggressive tire patterns, grippy rubber compound, heavy rider, break rub, heavy wheels and so on.

20-25 psi is very low at your weight. That is what I run at 80kg ;). Maybe try 35 psi next time and see if you can find a balance between grip and range.

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
Same here with 750 was hoping for more , maybe temps maybe my weight , range extender in stock mid march so might get one.

jbv

Sep 7, 2021
Vancouver Island BC
very impressed with the range so far. E1 625. i'm 100 kg riding temps about 3-8° so far. Maxxis DD tires, maxx gripp on the front, lowest pressure i can get away with (20/23). longest ride has been about 25kms, and i figure i could double that. which, in my mind, would be an epic long ride, with all the descending i could handle in a day. i ride in power mode 3 most the time, occasionally 2 for really tech climbs where i want max control without spin. if i were blasting up roads or hammering at the speed limiter in level 4 or 5 i imagine the range would be greatly reduced.

i ride the bike at similar pace to a regular mtn bike, with the exception of road climbs, which i'm obviously going faster, but not much, because i'm only in 3 power mode and spinning lightly. maybe some day i'll ride with a bunch of eeb guys and if they hammer at high power, i might be disappointed. i just ride it like my reg mtn bike, spinning away through the gears. i'm certainly not any faster on the downs, and only ever so slightly quicker on tech trails. super fit xc riders, would fly by me on tech trails i imagine. anyways, i'm completely stoked with the bike and i only ride with 1 other guy on an eeb (Levo) and have no issues.

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
very impressed with the range so far. E1 625. i'm 100 kg riding temps about 3-8° so far. Maxxis DD tires, maxx gripp on the front, lowest pressure i can get away with (20/23). longest ride has been about 25kms, and i figure i could double that. which, in my mind, would be an epic long ride, with all the descending i could handle in a day. i ride in power mode 3 most the time, occasionally 2 for really tech climbs where i want max control without spin. if i were blasting up roads or hammering at the speed limiter in level 4 or 5 i imagine the range would be greatly reduced.

i ride the bike at similar pace to a regular mtn bike, with the exception of road climbs, which i'm obviously going faster, but not much, because i'm only in 3 power mode and spinning lightly. maybe some day i'll ride with a bunch of eeb guys and if they hammer at high power, i might be disappointed. i just ride it like my reg mtn bike, spinning away through the gears. i'm certainly not any faster on the downs, and only ever so slightly quicker on tech trails. super fit xc riders, would fly by me on tech trails i imagine. anyways, i'm completely stoked with the bike and i only ride with 1 other guy on an eeb (Levo) and have no issues.
I agree. On a normal loop we do i'm using 20-23% battery. This at 0-5 deg and snow on the trail. Hard to see me ever using up full charge even if I just do shuttle to the top. I will run out of juice long before the bike ;).

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Here's 2 rides I did to compare range when the bike was new before 5 full charge cycle, not sure if it's going to change after but anyway!

2022 Reign E+2
6'3 260lbs
27PSI front 32PSI rear with tubes
100PSI in the Zeb & 300PSI in the DPX2
Temperature +-5C for both ride
All modes max power in the app

Ride 1) 38.5km -88% battery 300m climb using mode 4/5 to go as quickly as possible (bouncing off the 32 km/h limiter on the flats)
Ride 2) 29.5km -94% battery 1000m climb using mode 3/4 on the flats & 5 on the climbs

Considering my weight, the modes I was using along with the weather I think the range is perfectly fine. Winter came before I could do an ''eco'' comparison using only modes 1-2-3 on one ride.

Also take note that at my weight, the motor is having an hard time delivering torque at high cadence on steeper climbs, so I must resign to a lower cadence going slower to get a nice power balance which must be hard on the battery. Rob ride eMTB mentionned the motor losing power at the top end...I guess that's aggravated by my weight.

I bought a second 625wh to stop that range anxiety and crank the power whenever I want (I pretty much only ride bike parks with laps going back to the parking lot where it's easy to swap battery).

Dominic1212

Oct 31, 2021
Germany
I´am happy so far with my Range (E+ 0):

Screenshot_20220215-115911_Connect.jpg

35km 1260hm and Battery usage 95% with all modes used. All steep climbs with auto mode.

Levo from my friend with 700Wh Battery runs out a little bit earlier . Temperatures from -2 to 3°C and very muddy.
Tires Schwalbe MM front and BB back in supertrail super soft 1.3 and 1.4 bar. Riderweight with gear around 95kg.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
I´am happy so far with my Range (E+ 0):

View attachment 82164

35km 1260hm and Battery usage 95% with all modes used. All steep climbs with auto mode.

Levo from my friend with 700Wh Battery runs out a little bit earlier . Temperatures from -2 to 3°C and very muddy.
Tires Schwalbe MM front and BB back in supertrail super soft 1.3 and 1.4 bar. Riderweight with gear around 95kg.
Hey Dominic1212, sorry to mix forums threads here but do you still have that motor decoupling noise on your Reign, does it get better or worse with time? Thanks!

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
Just got my new 800wh and went for a ride this arvo. I'm 61 years old at 118kgs. Haven't been riding as much lately as normal, due to work commitments and shitty weather. Today's ride was 39km on soft wet tracks. 625m of climbing. 1hr 55mins riding. Used mainly level 3 with a bit of 4 and 5 on the toughest climbs. Used about 50% of my battery. Very impressed with the range/potential range. I expect I'll get even better range once this new battery has a couple more cycles. (Reign 2022 E+2)

pwiles1968

May 22, 2022
Leicestershire
My range is good its about elevation rather than range for me i can hit 4500 feet offroad on a battery when riding with friends power use not so different, i'm having the partial charging issue but working through that with the shop as long as i get 100% in there i'm about done before battery is.

Nobrks

Sep 16, 2021
Denmark
Short story of battery software.
During a frame replacement, the mech broke the mount for Ant antenna.
Ant antenna was replaced with a new one (afterwards), but then the 750wh batteries softer was to old to work with the new antenna, and only one battery-software upgrade tool, in the whole country.
In the end batter was replaced with the 800wh battery.
Process took 4 months 🤪

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles