REIGN E+ 1 PRO rear hub skipping in fast gear when pedalling hard

Crawford919

Aug 7, 2019
USA
No it’s not normal. If it’s properly tuned then It is either has a bad hub or the chain or rear cassette is worn. If the chain is worn I suggest replacing the cassette also. If you put it In the small gear and hold the rear brake while putting considerable pressure on the pedal you will see the chain trying to move up and over the teeth on the cassette. This is the easiest way to see what’s going on. I had one chain and cassette last 1000 miles on our Trance and one chain and cassette lasted 100 miles, don’t know why. My Reign has about 500 miles and still is flawless, can stand and pedal in the hardest gear uphill and it won’t skip. Never had a hub issue on either bike but they do have some problems I’ve heard.

Mat_Ron

Sep 29, 2018
Jacksonville, Fl
This happened to my Trance E+2. Changed out the freehub the first time and the 11 and 13 teeth cogs the next time. Having the same issue again now. I am going to change out the cassette and chain this time. I think the torque of the e-bike is just tough on the whole drive train.

oktc9712

Apr 20, 2020
Canada
I am pretty sad right now. I have about 100 kilometers on it and my dealer is saying this is kinda normal. I wish I had bought something different now.

Mat_Ron

Sep 29, 2018
Jacksonville, Fl
I am pretty sad right now. I have about 100 kilometers on it and my dealer is saying this is kinda normal. I wish I had bought something different now.
With those low miles I would try another dealer or call Giant directly. I will say that it's not a Giant thing though, I have seen complaints of the same issue across all brands.

Crawford919

Aug 7, 2019
USA
My kids just reminded me that when we first got our Reign, at about 100 miles, the derailleur had a crack in it and would flex and suddenly would not shift and would skip on the small gears. Giant replaced it under warranty and it has been great since. It was cracked where I’m pointing in the picture. And it wasn’t from impact damage.

image.jpg

Gda1

Apr 22, 2020
Australia
Might be a long shot but try setting the B tension screw on the rear derailleur, mine was also jumping in the high gear which sounded like the chain was misaligned , it only happened under heavy load when pedalling hard, managed to tighten the B tension up a little and it solved it straight away. for reference my bike had 800km on the ODO.

oktc9712

Apr 20, 2020
Canada
My riding buddy bought a Reign E+ 2 pro with an 11 speed Sram and I bought the Reign E+ 1 Pro with the Shimano 12 speed XT. I wish I had purchased a 1 with the Sram. the Shimano is weak and always seems to be needing repairs and the Sram is bullet proof

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
My mate has a E+ 2 Pro and has had to have his rear hub replaced under warranty as it was playing up. Gaint said it would replace like for like but he opted for a Hope hub and had to wear the difference in price $100s dollars. No dramas since

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Has anyone had this happen my dealer says it is normal????
No it is not normal.

Your bike should be under warranty and the hub or ratchet barrel should be repaired/replaced. The culprit occurred in the early 2019 Giant models and is related to the ratchet portion of the rear hub having thick or hardened grease, which prevents the pawls from engaging fully into the barrel jaws. If you keep using it, the ratchet will eventually self-destruct and break some teeth. Some dealers have been known to do a grease change and recondition the hub, others just replace the entire hub outright under warranty. I mentioned my concern to my dealer on the very day I bought my Trance E+Pro and he said they and Giant are aware of it and have since sorted out the QC issue on the newer production runs... and promised to replace mine should anything go wrong. That was last year, so far so good on my particular bike.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I........ If I replace a new chain - even at less than 0.5 stretch - the new chain skips on the smallest cog. I’ve tried everything - b screws included. Love to know the answer to this mystery! ..............

How does this sound as a possible answer ?
The gears on a cassette wear differently. They wear differently for a few reasons. Even if you travelled the same number of miles in each gear, the smaller ones have fewer teeth to share the load, so they wear more. You may also use the smaller gears more than the other gears, contributing to increased wear vs the larger gears on the cassette.

And how about this as a possible solution?
Once a gear is worn far enough away from its best profile, it will skip. What I would do in your position is leave the chain on longer, say to 0.65% wear at least, and consider going to 0.75% if only to see what happens. Another thing you may wish to consider is to use the smaller gears less. You can do this without changing your riding style at all. Just fit a larger front ring which will automatically increase the run time in the larger cassette gears.

John208

Oct 1, 2019
Hampshire
My fathom pro was skipping at 200 miles kept playing with the derailleur settings and now at 800 miles its OK unless I start trying to pull off in the 2 small sprockets.The chain is worn to .75 but got a replacement and small sprockets to put on soon ,hoping to get 1000 miles out of it

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
@oktc9712
Definitely not normal but could be a quick fix. If you've only done 100kms, then it won't be worn enough to skip.

Can you clarify if it was the hub/pawls skipping (the cassette rotates faster than the hub) or if the chain skips off of the cassette?...very different problems and different remedies

I suspect that it won't be the hub as its only happening intermittently under specific circumstances. If it was a hub problem, you'd more likely experience total failure.
So if it's the chain skipping over the teeth on the cassette, here's what I'd check (in order):
  • Over lubed/dirty chain: if your chain is gunked up with sludge, the individual links won't pivot as freely and the links pivot the most on small cogs
  • Alignment: is the jockey wheel sitting directly beneath the small cog? if not, adjust the limit screw
  • B-Screw(sets the gap between the cassette and jockey wheel): if this too high or low, you could have issues. youtube is your friend here :)
  • Damaged teeth: not likely but a bent tooth will kick the chain off.
  • Bent hanger: could be the hanger but I don't think this is your issue as the skipping is happening in one gear but worth checking

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles