Rear Wheel Suggestions for a Rail 7?

volksman

Jul 14, 2020
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Seems my rear wheel took some damage and needs to be replaced. LBS can order a replacement but I'm wondering if there is something a little more bomb proof I should upgrade to?

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
If rebuilding the wheel an FR560 would be an excellent choice however it has 32 spokes where your wheel has 28.

Not sure any of the bontrager wheels have a great reputation, so if purchasing a built wheel I would look at other brands.

These would be good built rear wheels...

Last edited:

volksman

Jul 14, 2020
Ottawa, ON, Canada
@Rail97Rider the rim is dented, likely from a rock hit of some sort. Pretty common to destroy wheels where I ride. I had thought about adding Cushcore but none of my local LBSs will install and I'm not ready to take that on myself.

Going to do some digging on DT Swiss rims for ebikes.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Just bought a new wheelset for Rail 5. The FR560 seems to be the hardest aluminium rim from DT Swiss.
  • DT Swiss FR 560 29" rims 32 spokes
  • DT Swiss rear 240s 148x12 boost hub, shimano 8-11 speed freehub. Star ratchet 36t system
  • DT Swiss front 350 110x15 boost hub
  • DT Swiss Competition black spokes
  • DT Swiss brass squorx black nipples
Price was 500€ + postage at Sklep internetowy

FR560.jpg

In Rail Alex MD35 the problem with rearwheel was that the rim is not welded AND I do ride off the roads.

vannekatko.jpg

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
@Hamina HOT!

Looks like my preferred LBS doesn't carry DT. Might have to go behind their backs!
Just send email to [email protected], wait 1-2 weeks, receive new wheels, feel good, change the wheels, never look back to stock wheels, ride on, feel even better. :love::cool:

I have ridden with Cushcores almost whole my mighty biking career (5 months).

volksman

Jul 14, 2020
Ottawa, ON, Canada
I wish...I'm in Canada so that would be more likely 5 - 8 weeks. Definitely thinking of putting cush on whatever I end up with. Just have to find a local that will install them for me.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
@Rail97Rider the rim is dented, likely from a rock hit of some sort. Pretty common to destroy wheels where I ride. I had thought about adding Cushcore but none of my local LBSs will install and I'm not ready to take that on myself.

Going to do some digging on DT Swiss rims for ebikes.
Get yourself some rat bites , or maybe one of the other light foam inserts if you want to spend more . Cushcore can be a pig to fit and it’s heavy . The foam inserts like rat bite are almost as easy as fitting a tube .

coregrind

Dec 16, 2020
BEAVERTON, OREGON USA
@Rail97RiderI had thought about adding Cushcore but none of my local LBSs will install and I'm not ready to take that on myself.
In my experience, CushCore are not at all bad to install IF you watch and follow the vid on their site. With that said, I've never attempted them with a Bontrager wheel and the TLR rimstrip; that extra thickness of the rimstrip could lead to nightmares.

Another option I'm keen to give a shot are the Tannus Tubeless inserts; I haven't fitted them yet but I feel they'll be even easier to get situated.

I've always had issues with denting the aluminum Bontrager Line rims. However, the carbon Line rims have been great...except for when melted due to high exhaust temp from a trip up the mountain in my auto. Totally my fault and Bontrager still replaced the wheel...TWICE! I am grateful they took care of my ignorance in each case.

Check out We Are One Composites (in Kamloops) as an excellent carbon option. I've only had one set of wheels from them but they are top notch for sure and the folks there are very communicative with suggestions, prior to and after purchase.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
In my experience, CushCore are not at all bad to install IF you watch and follow the vid on their site. With that said, I've never attempted them with a Bontrager wheel and the TLR rimstrip; that extra thickness of the rimstrip could lead to nightmares.

Another option I'm keen to give a shot are the Tannus Tubeless inserts; I haven't fitted them yet but I feel they'll be even easier to get situated.

I've always had issues with denting the aluminum Bontrager Line rims. However, the carbon Line rims have been great...except for when melted due to high exhaust temp from a trip up the mountain in my auto. Totally my fault and Bontrager still replaced the wheel...TWICE! I am grateful they took care of my ignorance in each case.

Check out We Are One Composites (in Kamloops) as an excellent carbon option. I've only had one set of wheels from them but they are top notch for sure and the folks there are very communicative with suggestions, prior to and after purchase.
Tyre insert installation varies with different rims and tyres , we’ve had some just slip on using hands only . Others have been a fight needing strong tyre levers

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I totally agree. It's hard to see what special there could be.

I have a feeling that if you have hard time time installing cushcore, then you have hard time installing only the tire.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles