Rear wheel hub bearing replacement.

Davey S

Apr 9, 2019
Scotland
Hi all

Has anyone replaced the rear wheel bearings in the stock hub for a 2019 levo. It is the base model. Is it a formula hub and axle? What size of bearings do I need? I assume they will be sealed cartridge bearings.

Hopefully you guys can give me some pointers!! I dont have much else to do with the lockdown and I cant get out on the bike ?

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
Just done the 2 freehub ones in my 2020 comp. Got replacements from MBBearings. My wheel bearings are fine still. I suspect if you have a rough bearing its most likely to be the freehub ones, not the wheel ones.

if you take your cassette off and then whip the freehub off you can check whats written on the side of the bearing dust seal. I'd clean the outside then take a photo and zoom in to see the numbers.

mine were 6902-2RS £1.50 each. These are specific MTB bearings, he has them specially made to low tolerances.

https://mbbearings.co.uk/catalog/

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Just done the 2 freehub ones in my 2020 comp. Got replacements from MBBearings. My wheel bearings are fine still. I suspect if you have a rough bearing its most likely to be the freehub ones, not the wheel ones.

if you take your cassette off and then whip the freehub off you can check whats written on the side of the bearing dust seal. I'd clean the outside then take a photo and zoom in to see the numbers.

mine were 6902-2RS £1.50 each. These are specific MTB bearings, he has them specially made to low tolerances.

https://mbbearings.co.uk/catalog/
Holy hell they're cheap, and they ship internationally. I just purchased the same type of Japanese made bearing for my DT Swiss freehub at $20nzd ea trade! And it appears the tolerances are too tight so once fitted the bearings are notchy. I've registered an account with these guys now and ordered 8 bearings for the price of 2 here incl delivery. Thanks!

Last edited:

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
I replaced both rear hub bearings on my '19 Comp a few weeks ago and I'm pretty sure the base uses the same. They were noisy and rough but the freehub bearings felt fine. They're both series 6903 and you'll find different suffixes depending on the seal and bearing tech. I picked up a couple from a local Specialized dealer but they weren't an exact match.

To access the bearings there's no need to unscrew the cassette lock nut and hassle with the individual cogs and spacers unless you want to thoroughly clean everything. Remove the axle nuts and dust washer from the brake side only then pull out the complete cassette-freehub-axle assembly and both bearings are exposed.

I borrowed a friends slide-hammer bearing puller and the brake side came out easily. The drive side was stubborn so I beat it out using a long socket against the outer race. If you don't have a puller you might be able to work the first side out by inserting a drift/rod/whatever through the opposite bearing and tap it out. For installation it's best to use a proper tool that presses both in at the same time (threaded rod type). I didn't have one and forgot to ask my buddy so I tapped them in using a socket against the outer race, making sure they were going in straight. Don't press against the inner race!

Degrease the hub splines before installing the bearings. I also degreased the freehub pawls but don't let it run into the body. Lot's of info on the interwebs on pawl lube but the consensus is use a small amount of oil, not grease, so the pawls quickly engage the splines. I used Phil Wood Tenacious Oil but others prefer something lighter or even a wet chain lube. The fun part is inserting the pawls into the hub bore. I wrapped electrical wire around the pawls and with the wheel resting on a garbage can inserted it into the hub then removed the wire so it fell in. I went by feel to tighten the axle nut. No play but spins freely.

Here's a pic of the original drive side bearing. Good luck!

IMG_2084.jpg

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
Holy hell they're cheap, and they ship internationally. I just purchased the same type of Japanese made bearing for my DT Swiss freehub at $20nzd ea trade! And it appears the tolerances are too tight so once fitted the bearings are notchy. I've registered an account with these guys now and ordered 6 bearings for the price of 2 here incl delivery. Thanks!

I've bought several times from them and have been happy with quality so far. Not the case with the cheap ones I bought from amazon :-(

Davey S

Apr 9, 2019
Scotland
As always amazing info from all you guys much appreciated!! I have ordered a couple of tools and once they turn up I'll be giving it a go. Jeff H was that the hub axle bearings that were 6903 Or the free hub bearings?

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
As always amazing info from all you guys much appreciated!! I have ordered a couple of tools and once they turn up I'll be giving it a go. Jeff H was that the hub axle bearings that were 6903 Or the free hub bearings?
Davey, yes, the hub axle bearings are 6903. One thing I forgot about, you’ll probably want a 12mm hex bit to keep the axle from spinning as you’re turning the nuts. The local auto & hardware stores didn’t have one that big so I bought online.

Davey S

Apr 9, 2019
Scotland
Ok so originally I was going to book my bike in to get the bearings done however after all your advice I got the wheel bearings replaced today. Not too difficult given it was my first attempt and following the advice. I ended up chapping the old ceased bearings out and using a socket threaded bar and washer to myguiver the new bearings in. Looking forward to getting back out for a ride tomorrow.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles