Rear triangle low/main pivot bearing change on a Specialized Kenevo

Longlivenduro

Jun 27, 2019
Germany
Hi, my low/main rear triangle pivot bearings on my 2018 Kenevo are worn out. I already have new bearings and now I am searching for some hints/idea/tutorial to change them. Help is greatly appreciated! Chris
Kenevopivotbearing.jpg

Last edited:

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Hi, my low/main rear triangle pivot bearings on my 2018 Kenevo are worn out. I already have new bearings and now I am searching for some hints/idea/tutorial to change them. Help is greatly appreciated! Chris
View attachment 20338
I haven't actually changed them on a levo, but I did on canyon strive that was similar to this with two blind bearings.
The best way is with the correct bearing puller, which I didn't have.
In the end I got a raw plug bolt that fitted into the bearing on one side, tightened it just enough that it wouldn't pull back out. I then got a study screwdriver put it through the other side and then struck the raw plug.
You might be lucky and the whole bearing will drive out.
I wasn't and just the inner race and bearings come out leaving the outer race still in the frame.
However this then gave Room to fit a small socket on an extension through the now bigger hole to drive out the other side bearing in its entirety.
I then had to remove the stuck outer race gently with a screwdriver, tapping one side then the other until it was free.

Swan

Oct 19, 2019
North Idaho, US
Not that it's going to help you, but a good Specialized shop will have the blind bearing puller with a collet setup that pulls those out. Kinda a specialized bit of kit, but obviously works pretty well compared to trying to hammer it with a punch and sockets.

Longlivenduro

Jun 27, 2019
Germany
Thank you very much Paul, good advice. I called a friend which has a generic bearing extractor. Was still quite a hassle as the bearing were rusted in, AND the Kenevo has 2 identical bearings side to side on each side, so 4 in total which was quite surprising after getting the first one out.

Longlivenduro

Jun 27, 2019
Germany
Not that it's going to help you, but a good Specialized shop will have the blind bearing puller with a collet setup that pulls those out. Kinda a specialized bit of kit, but obviously works pretty well compared to trying to hammer it with a punch and sockets.
Cheers Swan, ordered a bearing extractor and a press from Bearing Pro tools. 30 Euro together. Since these bearings are quite small for the load they take, I will change them every 8-9 months in the future, as the main pivot bolt is likely to break if you have too much play in these bearings (happened to me 1 month ago)

Swan

Oct 19, 2019
North Idaho, US
Cheers Swan, ordered a bearing extractor and a press from Bearing Pro tools. 30 Euro together. Since these bearings are quite small for the load they take, I will change them every 8-9 months in the future, as the main pivot bolt is likely to break if you have too much play in these bearings (happened to me 1 month ago)

We haven't sold any Kenevos, and I haven't had any come through for repair.. But that looks like a 6803 or 6804 bearing. Cheap enough to source outside of the Specialized bearing kits. If you are riding in the muck, then definitely worth keeping spares around and replacing semi regularly.

Longlivenduro

Jun 27, 2019
Germany
We haven't sold any Kenevos, and I haven't had any come through for repair.. But that looks like a 6803 or 6804 bearing. Cheap enough to source outside of the Specialized bearing kits. If you are riding in the muck, then definitely worth keeping spares around and replacing semi regularly.

Cheers, yes they are 4 15x24x5mm bearings. Will keep a bunch of them at home in the future. With my amount of riding/conditions it seems they even don't last 12 months.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Thank you very much Paul, good advice. I called a friend which has a generic bearing extractor. Was still quite a hassle as the bearing were rusted in, AND the Kenevo has 2 identical bearings side to side on each side, so 4 in total which was quite surprising after getting the first one out.
I wonder if the levo has 4 also, if it has I only checked the 2 outside ones!

Longlivenduro

Jun 27, 2019
Germany
I wonder if the levo has 4 also, if it has I only checked the 2 outside ones!
I guess the outer ones wear out quicker though: closer to water, dirt and greater leverage amount from the swing arm. I could also imagine that they just put two in for the Levo, because of lighter weight and little bit less harsh DH oriented purpose. To be honest just putting 2 more bearings in there seems a little bit of a bodge to me. Would be interesting to see if they did the same for the 2020 model.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles