Rear mud guard

Silato

Nov 29, 2018
Manchester UK
I've got a mud hugger on the front on my trance but after a few muddy rides think I need a rear guard.
What are people using out there.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I've got a mud hugger on the front on my trance but after a few muddy rides think I need a rear guard.
What are people using out there.
You know, I've been thinking about the exact same thing... and I've been looking but so far I can't find anything I like. I've seen generic flat fold-up ones, but I'm not keen on the origami look.

I'm currently toying with the idea of building my own... unless someone chimes-in with a good one that suits the Trance well.

Silato

Nov 29, 2018
Manchester UK
You know, I've been thinking about the exact same thing... and I've been looking but so far I can't find anything I like. I've seen generic flat fold-up ones, but I'm not keen on the origami look.

I'm currently toying with the idea of building my own... unless someone chimes-in with a good one that suits the Trance well.
The front mud hugger is great and looks OK. The rear mud hugger is susposed to be good also but looks terrible and it's quite expensive.

Uppy

Mar 8, 2018
Cambridgeshire
I have a rear mudhugger on my bike..had to cut away a little bit of the gaurd for chain clearance.
20191012_133726.jpg

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
I went for the Mudhugger 29er. It keeps the crud off the suspension rocker and out of the dropper. Blends in with the black rear end for the most part...
20191004_164306.jpg

Uppy

Mar 8, 2018
Cambridgeshire
Did you change out the stock spring? What did you go with?
Yes I had to change the stock spring...only because I'm a heavy rider...I contacted silver fish, and they advised me on a 650 spring..when I got it I tried it out. But still felt to bouncy, so I sent it back and got a 700..it works great..never had a coil shock before...it works great now.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Finally found one I like... sort of too late now that it's summer here. It's not really meant to keep mud off me (appropriate brand name then). I just want to keep mud splatter from getting all over the swingarm pivots and that pocket under the rear shock (dirt and water trap). Didn't have to buy on-line from overseas. Found it locally in New Zealand - it's a UK brand I've never heard of, from EVO cycles.

MuckyNutz Fender.jpg

I like that it's wide with ample tread to fender clearance - not too high and extends low enough to also shield (but not cover completely) the lowest suspension pivots. The slotted holes along the nape worked well to warp zip-ties around that weird Maestro downward brace that's curved and off-centre. I had to drill a couple of small holes (off centre too) to add one zip-tie close to the bottom. The fender won't fit quite right without it. It's surprisingly light and well made.

Although in saying that, I'm a bit concerned that it's beginning to give a 'motorcycle vibe'... which may give an unfavourable impression for some - in and around shared-access trails. Oh well...

Trance E Mudguard.jpg

Last edited:

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Finally found one I like... sort of too late now that it's summer here. It's not really to keep mud off me (appropriate brand name then). I just want to keep mud splatter from getting all over the swingarm pivots and the pocket under the rear shock (dirt and water trap). Didn't have to buy on-line from overseas. Found it locally - it's a UK brand I've never heard of, from EVO cycles.

View attachment 22874

I like that it's wide with ample tread to fender clearance - but not too high and extends low enough to also shield the lowest suspension pivots. It's light and well made.

Although in saying that, I'm a bit concerned that it's beginning to give a 'motorcycle vibe'... which may give a false impression in and around shared-access trails. Oh well...

View attachment 22875
I believe that's their front short mugguard, but looks like its covering most of the link pivots. I just ordered one of their front long muggards, to see if it will get all of it covered. I'm currently using two different gaurds, put together, and not covering it all.

I really cant understand the lack of decent fendors from the bike frame OEMs.
20191212_091028.jpg

Last edited:

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I believe that's their front short mugguard, but looks like its covering most of the link pivots. I just ordered one of their front long muggards, to see if it will get all of it covered. I'm currently using two different gaurds, put together, and not covering it all.

I really cant understand the lack of decent fendors from the bike frame OEMs.
Yes, it's their front short one. It's twice the length of what I was using there the last time.
If you want to stop most of the splatter from hitting you, there is a longer one. I think both short and long fenders are universal and can be used either front or rear.

You know you're right, you'd think Giant would have one. Even the entry level Suntour fork came with a purpose-made OEM fender... pretty cool but tiny though (just to stop water and muck from flicking ahead) which inevitably flies back and hits you in the face. It's not gonna shield the down tube/battery tho.

Last edited:

Struthbooth

Nov 20, 2019
Perth Western Australia
I made my own rear mudguard the other day. Just used the plastic cover off a binder book thing. Just cut it to a shape I liked, cut some holes to run the zip ties through and done. However the test ride resulted in it flexing and catching the tyre so I braced it from underneath with part of a plastic coat hanger. attached via the existing zip ties and added on more to the end which you can see in the picture. I also added abit of glue to hold it all together but should be fine with the zip ties. Not bad for 15 minute job. threw some stickers on it and ready to go.
IMG_9360.JPG
IMG_9358.JPG
IMG_9359.JPG

Scottie78

Feb 24, 2020
Germany

Did you get a chance to fit the long Mugguard and if so, are you happy with the coverage? Would be great to see pictures if you have any. Thanks

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Did you get a chance to fit the long Mugguard and if so, are you happy with the coverage? Would be great to see pictures if you have any. Thanks
I did, but still needed both to get what I would call good coverage. Here it is alone. Protected the bike great, but I always got soaked or smeared.

IMG_20200117_141932_336.jpg

And tucked inside a mudhugger.
20200125_150643.jpg

Scottie78

Feb 24, 2020
Germany
Great, thanks for the images. Linkage looks really clean, just what I'm looking for. What is the sleeve around the battery? Is it purely for protection from stones or the cold?

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles