Rear hub freewheeling

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
Bike Trance E+3. Just oiled the chain on the stand turning pedals turning rear wheel. Walked bike out of garage and hey presto hub freewheeling and not moving the bike forward?
Bloody bike!!

net wurker

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2019
Huntsville, AL USA
So for clarity, your bike was fine. You put it in the stand to oil the chain, and it was still fine. Then on the roll out of the garage, the rear hub stripped or otherwise broke somehow?

Have you tried to diagnose it any?

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Welcome to giants dodgy hub. Lots of write ups on here how they just fail. Should be covered under warranty

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
I see the write up. I have sent a short vid to the bike supplier JEJ and will see what they say. Bikes only a few months old

Mickmick

Apr 5, 2019
Kent
My hub broke on a ride. Took it to lbs. they changed the hub under warranty. Did 12 miles on new hub when it broke too. I’m talking to giant tomorrow. Apparently hope or dt Swiss do better hubs

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
My hub broke on a ride. Took it to lbs. they changed the hub under warranty. Did 12 miles on new hub when it broke too. I’m talking to giant tomorrow. Apparently hope or dt Swiss do better hubs

Gutted! Giant is pretty good when it comes to after-sales care. Push for an upgraded hub. I've been on a Hope Pro4 for 10 months without issue.

How old was your bike when the first hub failed?

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
having seen mine repaired in front of me, I’d just while the freehub out and check it’s not the greas viscosity problem a large batch left Giant with. The pawls stick down and allow a freewheel situation. Literally 20 mins to remove, clean, re-grease and re-assemble

Yetibos

Jan 28, 2020
Spain
having seen mine repaired in front of me, I’d just while the freehub out and check it’s not the greas viscosity problem a large batch left Giant with. The pawls stick down and allow a freewheel situation. Literally 20 mins to remove, clean, re-grease and re-assemble

yeah, the problem is just that stupid grease in the pawl system ... also some hub cups are not very tight so the freehub get loose which means problems with the axle.

I checked it myself, just clean it properly, and put fine oil, not grease .... it works very good now.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles