Levo Gen 2 Rear derailleur Exploded

chawnz

Nov 7, 2021
Kent
Hi Gang, I'm new to the Ebikelife but loving it!
Rear Derailleur snapped off at the mount today, I'm going to need a new one. Is there an upgrade or shall I just order the bog standard jobbie? Any recommendations welcome!! 2019 Levo

Cheers

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You'll probably want to buy a new hanger at the same time, if it snapped off, there's a good chance the hanger's bent - even if it looks straight.

The different models had different derailleurs, but easiest is to buy the same as you have - it will be compatible with your chain/cassette/shifter.

chawnz

Nov 7, 2021
Kent
You'll probably want to buy a new hanger at the same time, if it snapped off, there's a good chance the hanger's bent - even if it looks straight.

The different models had different derailleurs, but easiest is to buy the same as you have - it will be compatible with your chain/cassette/shifter.

Cheers Zimmer!! Yeah its all toast!! Okay I'll grab the SRAM GX

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Think I have a GX in a draw in the "cave" you could have , but it's winter and the humidity is high in there so I can't open them until spring (I tried the other day looking for something else). Check some of the Euro sites like alltricks. Or stick a wanted post up, there's probably a gazillion people with them on here sitting in a box they don't use.

chawnz

Nov 7, 2021
Kent
Think I have a GX in a draw in the "cave" you could have , but it's winter and the humidity is high in there so I can't open them until spring (I tried the other day looking for something else). Check some of the Euro sites like alltricks. Or stick a wanted post up, there's probably a gazillion people with them on here sitting in a box they don't use.

cheers Zimmer! I’ll have a look! Gonna untangle the mess tomorrow!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
A few months ago, I got a pine sapling stuck in the mech and it snapped the mech in two and left half of it hanging from the chain. That was an end of ride thing.
Mech 1.jpg
Mech 3.jpg

That is a Shimano XT RDM8100 Shadow+ 12-speed, and the bit that broke was the body. Upon examination I discovered that the body was made from plastic!! How long has that been the case? The cage around the lower jockey was badly splayed apart. I suspect that the sapling was carried into the cage by the chain, jammed the mech and broke it. I was only going dead slow in a tight downhill turn when I picked up the sapling, so no further damage was done.

Mech 2.jpg

The only salvageable components were the jockey wheels. It's a long shot I know, but I also kept the clutch assembly.

As a legacy of a previous 12-speed mtb, I have a Park Tool mech hanger gauge and alignment tool. It showed that the hanger was unaffected. In other words, it did not do its job, or alternatively the mech body was too lightweight, weak and feeble to do its job.

Getting your mech hanger alignment checked and fixed by your LBS is a quick job and therefore cheap (should be).

On the replacement mech I have twice bent the lower mech arm as I looped out on my nemesis climb (regular readers will know where I mean). On all speeds up to 11-speed, I never needed alignment. But I needed alignment on all three 12-speed bikes that I have had. Not just once, but several times on each bike. If you have a 12-speed bike, consider the benefit of owning your own alignment tool.

The alignment tool has paid for itself.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It showed that the hanger was unaffected. In other words, it did not do its job, or alternatively the mech body was too lightweight, weak and feeble to do its job.
The hanger is designed to break in sideways falls. You can't expect it to break or bend in every direction or people would be changing hangers on a daily basis (well, those that don't :) )

Here's a pic of a hanger not failing (SRAM UDH) and the damage you can cause to the frame (ally) .. and more than the derailleur taking the hit ..

1641153061559.png

chawnz

Nov 7, 2021
Kent
Yeah I’m glad the thing broke and not the frame!
spanked the cable and outer also!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles