Rear coil shock on e160-rs

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Just a quick one, wondering if anyone has fitted a rear coil shock to the e150 or 160.

I know the 180 would have been more fitting for bike parks but whilst killing time waiting around for my 160 rs to actually turn up i just wanted to see what options i have.

Primarily i went with the 160 over the 180 due to price, but secondly the majority of my riding falls into the normal trail centre stuff (cannock chase, dalby, sherwood pines etc) and i didn't want to end up completely overbiked and feeling a bit underwhelmed.

However, i was wondering if something like the marzochi bomber cr would be a worthwhile part to have to swap in for when i head off into the bike parks, if only just to save myself from potentially damaging a more expensive air shock. To date i've only been to bike park wales and farmer john's but there are plans to get to more as i get more confident being in the air.

Last time i had a coil shock would have been back in the early 2000's with a scott high octane so i don't expect it to suffer quite the same downsides with a motor smoothing out any power delivery.

Okesy2001uk

Sep 28, 2020
Sandbach, cheshire
Not tried it, but if you ride even semi-enthusiastically i don’t think you’ll get the progression you need, the leverage rate of the frame feels pretty flat to me. I upgraded to a super deluxe with a meg neg and custom tune and its awesome - cost about £400 all in. Can’t imagine it could be any better and my last bike had an ohlins ttx coil in it, so I know what a good rear end feels like.

i’m not sure why you think an air shock will explode with heavy riding, unless i’m talking to josh Bryceland in disguise you’ll not being doing half what it can.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Thanks for the feedback. I have noticed a 180rs with a coil but i did have a nagging thought in the back of my mind that they know what they are doing when designing the frame and suspension config.

Looking at the cost of the stock rear shock vs the cheap coil it is maybe just something to play with if the stock one does give up in the long term.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
A coil shock isn't necessary for gnarly riding, really the main reason to go for a coil is that due to how it has less resistance than an air shock, they can be better at maintaining grip/traction and provide a smoother ride on gnarly terrain - you can as a result loose some support and pop vs an air shock.

If you look at some of the free riders who run coils, they tend to run very stiff springs, and be on bikes designed with a coil in mind.

I am a big fan of coils, mainly because of the traction and ride quality, but like @Okesy2001uk I run a Super Deluxe with a Meg Neg on my bike (not a Whyte) and whilst its not a coil replacement like some people think, what it does do is give a much better ride quality whilst improving mid stroke support, which basically means if you like going fast it can handle anything, but also give you the support and feedback when pumping into turns, jumps etc.

Okesy2001uk

Sep 28, 2020
Sandbach, cheshire
A coil shock isn't necessary for gnarly riding, really the main reason to go for a coil is that due to how it has less resistance than an air shock, they can be better at maintaining grip/traction and provide a smoother ride on gnarly terrain - you can as a result loose some support and pop vs an air shock.

If you look at some of the free riders who run coils, they tend to run very stiff springs, and be on bikes designed with a coil in mind.

I am a big fan of coils, mainly because of the traction and ride quality, but like @Okesy2001uk I run a Super Deluxe with a Meg Neg on my bike (not a Whyte) and whilst its not a coil replacement like some people think, what it does do is give a much better ride quality whilst improving mid stroke support, which basically means if you like going fast it can handle anything, but also give you the support and feedback when pumping into turns, jumps etc.

exactly this... get a vorsprung secus for the fork and you have the same thing both ends! Lovely!

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
So hopefully this thread was useful for other people too.

Alas supplier issues have forced me to give in to the pressure of "OOH SHINY" and after having no confirmed date beyond mid november (intially was told mid oct) and delayed twice i have cancelled my order and ordered an e180 rs from a LBS.

TLDR ordered bike with more suspension, don't need coil.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
..... or do i?

the 180 rs v1 came with a coil. Anyone know how different the rear linkages are? ;D I can only assume they come with a progressive spring fitted. Looks the same to me.
1614097132976.png

Honestly the x2 is a brilliant air shock after adding some volume spacers but i can't get it to soak up the small bumps well while handling hard landings.

1614098686311.png

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Only one way to find out! - you can always go with a progressive spring if needed

EchoLima21

Jan 8, 2021
Surrey, Uk
Without wishing to breathe new life into a long-dead subject, I thought you might want to know what Fox/Marzocchi told me via email about my idea to run a coil on my E-160S:

“We don't recommend our coil shocks for E-Bikes that use a strut configuration as it puts too much side load on the shock causing failure.”

This message is also now on their site and the site of the UK importer/s.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles