Rear Axle for Meta Power

maachine

May 22, 2018
Australia
Has anyone replaced their OEM rear axle with a quick release version? I think it would be much easier to remove the rear wheel to fix a flat with a quick release axle rather than using an allen key or multi tool.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Not sure why you would want to really, can't see the benefit of quick release over the better security afforded by the OEM stealth. Are you getting many punctures ?

maachine

May 22, 2018
Australia
No flats as yet, just thought it would be easier access to remove wheel for maintenance and removes the need to carry an allen key or multi tool to remove wheel if needed out riding.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Call me old fashioned, but a good multi-tool is a pretty handy bit of kit to have on you especially when you find yourself with problems out on the trail. The OEM axles really aren't difficult or even that slow to remove trail-side. I guess if you are competing in a race there would be an advantage but if you are just trail riding then the stealth axles are far more secure, for instance you are never going to have them come loose because the arm get's knocked.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
If you want one I know someone who would swap you with a quick release version , quick release I think takes longer messing about with the lever position etc .

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
A through axle is stiffer and provides better handling, don't change it.
I think your confusing the skewer quick release with the maxle type of through axle , they all use a through axle and are interchangeable some tighten using an Allen key , some have clamp cam lever on the end to tighten .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles