Real life logistics of riding using two batteries and one Emtb?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Who here has two batteries for their Ebike and reguarly uses both for the one ride?
I ask as I have a second Emtb on the way so will have two 504wh batteries at my disposal.

Previously I've not really been interested in having an extra battery. The two main reasons for this are I absolutely never ride with a backpack and wouldn't ever want to. (I had wear to when I worked as a trail guide so know exactly why I never would in my own time).
this leaves the option of leaving the spare battery in the car and returning mid ride. I generally ride a long loop and wouldn't be anywhere near the car at any point. to me having to return to the car seems like having two separate rides.
Stashing the battery in the hills/woods doesn't seem a great soloution either as I'd have to carry it in a pack and also return to get it at the end of the ride.
I can see it working fine at a DH track/venue or bike park where you just do laps that happen to end in the car park and even at a trail centre where you can do a loop in the morning. stop for lunch and then do another ride in the afternoon etc. but am struggling to work out how it can work for me on longer loops.

So what do other folk actually do?
carry a heavy backpack the whole ride?
leave the battery in the car and plan rides that return to the car?
stash it enroute?
something else

And how does it work out for you?

Thanks in advance.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I do have 2 batteries for my Levo and as the trails in Denmark are quite short, I usually keep the 2. battery in the car and if I stop for a snack or drink, I change the battery if needed. When in Poland and doing longer rides up to 100 km, I do have the 2. battery in a backpack. Even I have a integrated spine protector I do ride with a lot more caution and do not take any chances at all. To be honest the backpack with about 5 kg total does not bother me at all as I’m used to backpack from work (military).

Karsten

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks Karsten

Riding with any backpack at all more than bothers me. it's not even just about the weight. I just can't stand them and would honestly rather not ride at all than carry one.

Last edited:

Kingfisher

Jun 3, 2019
Belgium
The only time I take the second battery is when I go bikepacking overnight. It either goes in the framebag or on my back (special EVOC bag for that). Otherwis, on longer rides I pack my charger and recharge during lunch/tea at a pub.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I keep the spare in the car when I go to trailcenters or places where I will be doing loops, or riding out of a central point.

More locally the best riding is about 10 miles and 1250ft of climbing away form me, but there is a little cafe in the village just before I get to it, so sometimes I leave a battery with them, then pick it up when driving by later in the day.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. I'll have 3 chargers too.
ATM I keep one at mine and the other at my girlfriends (about 10 miles away and halfway between work and home). Was thinking I'd leave the new one at work. but I suppose it opens up the opportunity of charging one battery while riding too.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Like you I dont like backpacks, but I do have an Ergon one designed to hold a spare battery, and it does a very good job of minimising movement etc and is comfy considering the weight. However I have only used it once, and that was for a 40 mile xc/bridleway type ride, I wouldn't want to use it for proper trail riding.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have a Focus with the TEC pack, so the thought of carrying the battery on the downtube does not bother me. I realise it will make the bike heavier, but the centre of gravity of rider+bike is lower with the battery on the downtube rather than in in a backpack.

I have ridden with the TEC pack at first, just so that I could deplete the frame battery (as per manual). Then ditto the TEC pack. It was early days, but I don't recall the bike feeling cumbersome when riding it. Lifting it was another matter! :eek:

But so far I have not found it necessary to take the TEC pack with me, as my confidence has built in the range of the frame battery. I don't live in the Peaks, or anywhere really hilly, so I can get away without using the TEC pack all the time. That was its attraction to me.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. I do tend to ride proper mtb trails somewhere hilly Steve. In my local riding area it's possible to depleat a 504Wh battery in under an hour easily if I decide take the most direct route to the top as quickly as possible (in boost/trail) and lap a few DH/enduro descents one after another.

the spare battery won't fit anywhere ON a small vitus Esommet. Not that I'd want to add 2.6kg to it anyway. I actually begin not to enjoy the handling traits of emtbs as much when they're over about 22kg. But ON the bike might have been an option just to carry it somewhere to stash it for later use I suppose.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
more trail oriented?

erm... it is certainly going to be ridden on trails...

but it will be rolling and gripping the ground with a set of these on

Schwalbe-Big-Ben-Bundle_2048x.jpg

Primarily for commuting I'd toyed with the idea of an e roadbike but it was looking like I'd have to pay £3k+ at least for a decent groupset and a mid motor.
it sort of made more sense to just stick fast rolling rubber on a decent hardtail and at under £2k it was a no brainer..
I do like a play around in the traffic (not that you can't play on roadbikes) but I also love back wheel a little too much and risers and a dropper are obviously going to make that more fun. ;)

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I would be taking into account a few other considerations such as the potential of damaging the battery and (non) insured risks of leaving 500 w/hr+ in someone elses care in terms of both safety and security. Personally I would either ride within the battery's capacity or buy a bike/battery with the capacity I need.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Personally I would either ride within the battery's capacity or buy a bike/battery with the capacity I need.

Yeah. I've already been doing that for 18 months. Thanks. :rolleyes:
As explained earlier i'm about to find myself in posession of an extra battery so looking for ideas on how best to... you know... actually use it.

*wonders what monstrosity of a 170mm travel Emtb has a 1008wh battery*
:unsure:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Fuck me!

that actually *looks* nice!

what must it weigh though? :eek::oops::cry:

[EDIT] apparently 22.5 so not much heavier than a Kenevo with the 1125wh configuration
Wow
that's pretty amazing!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
With just the internal 625 battery it weighs in at 22.5kg, which is impressive for a bike with that spec

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Still weighs less with the extra battery than pretty much any of the current Bosch bikes. Lots of exciting new bikes with the new Bosch system getting announced almost daily

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles