Reaction Hybrid SL or EXC?

Nejcos

Nov 1, 2019
Slovenia
I am planing to buy cube ebike. I narrowed it down to 2 bikes. 1st is Hybrid Reaction SL 625, the 2nd is Hybrid Reaction EXC 625.
I dont know alot about bikes so i came here for help. I think exc has better gear and sl has better computer, am i right? Is SL worth the higher price?

Next question is bike size. I am 180 cm. Should i go for 19 or 21 inch? What did you buy if the same hight like me?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I am planing to buy cube ebike. I narrowed it down to 2 bikes. 1st is Hybrid Reaction SL 625, the 2nd is Hybrid Reaction EXC 625.
I dont know alot about bikes so i came here for help. I think exc has better gear and sl has better computer, am i right? Is SL worth the higher price?

Next question is bike size. I am 180 cm. Should i go for 19 or 21 inch? What did you buy if the same hight like me?

The SL has a better display and also better shocks. Not sure if all this warrants the higher price. Once you get near £3000 you are nearly in full suspension territory.

As regards frame size. I’m 182 cm and I bought the 19inch frame. (Cube Reaction Race 2019)

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
Not an owner so limited experience , my ride buddy has the SL 160 in 22” XL frame , he’s 181cm.
I’ve ridden it on a couple of occasions and I’m 182. My Giant is a LG
.His cube is a better fit, more comfortable and better reach.

Try before you buy, it’s a big investment to get wrong and they drop value quickly so changing later on can be costly.
Or spending money on after market kit to spec the wrong bike can also be costly, I speak from experience.

The motor on the cube is better than my Yam.

Nejcos

Nov 1, 2019
Slovenia
Thank you for info. I will try to find a dealer that has them in stock for trying. How about sram vs shimano? Is XT so much better than Sram nx? I like the spec from EXC, but would love a kiox computer, is it possible to change and upgrade purion?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I’ve just watched a video review of the Kiox display. I like the fact it shows cadence. The other features don’t really interest me that much.
It’s larger size display and the need for a separate controller means there is significantly more handlebar clutter and more cables.

My purion, old iPhone 6 for OS route plotting, bell and power torch already gives me enough instruments to rival a Concorde flight deck.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
There's always space for more ....

bee.jpeg

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Thank you for info. I will try to find a dealer that has them in stock for trying. How about sram vs shimano? Is XT so much better than Sram nx? I like the spec from EXC, but would love a kiox computer, is it possible to change and upgrade purion?

I have Shimano XT gears and brakes. All silky smooth so far. Some people have questioned the longevity / robustness of them but no problems so far. They seem very well made.

My last bike (analogue) had SRAM gears which were ok apart from the very stiff shifters. The brakes were made by Clarks and I had constant issues with them.

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
Don't forget the Kiox as the lock feature which locks the motor when removed. The cadance feature is good to keep you in the right gear
As for cockpit clutter, my SL came with it mounted central on the handle bars so takes up no room as you wouldn't really put anything there, lights bell ect. are usually to the side.
The colour display helps as it just takes a quick glance down to see what mode your in

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
Sorry, I live in U.K.
The Kiox display also connects to your phone (Bluetooth) and the Bosch ebike connect app. All your rides are stored here along with a map of were you've travelled. There's a USB port that can be used to charge your phone
I definitely would'nt buy the 21inch frame. The bike is really big, infact i would easily get away with using a 17inch frame and i'm 180cm tall

Nejcos

Nov 1, 2019
Slovenia
Thx for all the information. I was in a store and tried 21 inch, they didnt have 19 to try. So i cant compare, but salesman said if i will ride mainly on roads i should take bigger frame. Guess i have to find 19 and try it.

Kingfisher

Jun 3, 2019
Belgium
Don’t get hung up on the display. It’s quite simple and relatively affordable to switch from a Purion to a Kiox.

What is more important, is brakes and suspension. And while the Mt420s on the EXC are decent, the Suntour fork is really a poor performer under harsh conditions.

If your ride profile is fire trails and forest roads, it will be fine. But if any harder riding is involved, you’ll need the SL.

I do prefer the colour of the EXC, and I prefer a shimano system (just personal, more familiar with it). So if it were me, I would get the EXC and upgrade the fork.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles