Re-routing internal cables

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
For some reason, when my Fathom E+ was assembled, they routed EVERY cable (controller, rear brake, gear cable) through the left-side internal cable port by the head tube. At some stage, I want to add a dropper post, so I'd like to move the gear cable to the right side port and then later thread the dropper cable through there as well.

How difficult is it to move a cable over?

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Hi! It is not very hard (not even hard xD). They always route everything through the left side. You will need to open a hole on the right side cover because it comes closed by default.

I am not sure you will be able to easily move the cable from left to right without removing the battery lock mechanism, but once you remove it, it is very easy. Maybe you can do it with some small pliers or similar without removing it.

I was able to install a new ridecontrol unit, a light and change brake hose and gear hose without removing it :D

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Hi! Did you install the dropper post? I wonder how difficult it was to pass the cable from the seat tube to the front.

Thanks!

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
Yeah I did. It was actually easier than I expected.

The bottom of the seat tube has a hole which opens into the motor cavity. If you drop the the motor out (remove the top two, loosen the back one) you can thread the cable down the seat tube, through the hole and around the back of the motor. Then it wraps underneath the motor and up into the downtube. I ttakes a bit of fiddling to route the cable with the others and ensuring it fits under the motor guard.

The only issue I've found is when the motor is put back into place, the cable outer can't slide for adjustment. This doesn't seem to affect the operation of the post though. You just have to make sure the cable is in the right place before closing up.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Yeah I did. It was actually easier than I expected.

The bottom of the seat tube has a hole which opens into the motor cavity. If you drop the the motor out (remove the top two, loosen the back one) you can thread the cable down the seat tube, through the hole and around the back of the motor. Then it wraps underneath the motor and up into the downtube. I ttakes a bit of fiddling to route the cable with the others and ensuring it fits under the motor guard.

The only issue I've found is when the motor is put back into place, the cable outer can't slide for adjustment. This doesn't seem to affect the operation of the post though. You just have to make sure the cable is in the right place before closing up.
Excellent info, thanks!!!

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
This video shows how to drop the motor.

And this is the path I used:
1610407960829.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles