Re-Centering Block Lock after a Crash

ebnash

Aug 16, 2020
Los Gatos, CA
So, I had a pretty high speed crash about a week ago and I noticed the next day that the Block Lock was no longer centered, so I could turn the bars to the left to the point where the fork crown was only about 2mm from touching the downtube, and when turning to the right, it would hit the limit way too early.

As this is the 1st bike I've owned with lock to lock limiter on the headset, I called up YT in California and asked how I should go about getting things re-centered.

1st, he confirmed it is normal for the race to give and rotate in a high impact crash so that some of the energy is absorbed, rather than breaking the head tube. Re-centering is quite simple. Just hold the handle bars normally, and do quick short jabs at the limiting block, in my case turning to the right and it will make small moves and a creaking sound. I did this about 5-6 times until I got it re-centered and all good again. The key is to not try to make one big move, but rather lots of small moves, so you don't over shoot your target or stress other components, like very expensive carbon handlebars...

Really a simple task, but I thought I would share the process here since I couldn't really find any info on this after many google searches.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles