Rapid Racer Products Proguard Review

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I’m sure everyone reading this will know what a front mudguard is but for anyone not entirely sure about all the benefits and drawbacks of running one let’s quickly cover them before we delve into this actual product review.
In my experience a good front mudguard for any mountain bike should serve 3 main purposes. Firstly, and most importantly it should be protecting the rider from mud, debris and water but most importantly keeping their field of vision clear. Secondly a mudguard should protect the bike from collecting mud, in particular the fork seals and stanchions and downtube. And third it needs to be designed well enough that it doesn’t cause the tyre to clog against trapped mud/debris and halt the bike and next we simply want the guard to be durable and a good fit on a variety of forks and hopefully not look too hideous.
Goggles and protective glasses are a fashionable alternative to running a mudguard many riders will choose but they have never really been a very practical...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Timbo

Aug 31, 2018
France
Excellent review Gary, and as R120 says you can use the front one on the back as well with a bit of cutting.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Hi @Ross Gardner
FRX is a much shorter guard designed to be minimalist for the raceheads and those who prefer the look of a short guard. being shorter it has less coverage and also allows more spray forwards and rearwards.

Fathugger is a fatbike guard so not directly comparable

Hope this helps

Pottsy

Founding Member
Feb 12, 2018
Northern Ireland
I have one fitted. Came with bike. Over 9 months and 1400 miles use.

Good piece of kit, despite some thinking it's not cool. I'd rather be uncool than covered I crud and wet.

Good review, didn't realise you can get stickers. Might get some to look cool.

Pottsy

AlwaysOff

Patreon
Oct 22, 2018
Rame Peninsula, Cornwall
Some (not so) clever boffin at Scott decided to put the power button on the down tube exactly where most of the crap is flicked up from the front tyre so for that reason and for the sake of my new gopro I bought one of these and have just fitted it, it doesn't look too bad tbh, looking forward to trying it out.
Nice review Gary.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Put mine to good use today - these really do keep the crap out of your face like nothing else

IMG_4269.jpeg

IMG_4270.jpeg

IMG_4271.jpeg

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
I got the standard RRP front and it’s real nice. easy on, good fit, good clearance. worth the extra effort of finding and shipping time from UK. Its on a 2017 levo with a Pike and 2.6 hillbilly. Couple wet rides. Works great, stays in place, doesnt make noise. ?

Veetwinboy

Jan 19, 2019
Exmouth
Hands down best mudguard money can buy IMO. What a revelation, riding in shitty conditions WITHOUT glasses. Why wouldn’t you buy one!!!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles