Range extended

LucB

Dec 31, 2019
Yorkshire
Is anyone aware of range extenders for the shimano steps motors. Or anyone that can make them Etc. Or offer advice so i can potentially make my own. Any help would be a appreciated.

Thanks

sparrow

Mar 22, 2019
Rivendell123
I just bought a second 504 Shimano battery for my Santa Cruz Heckler. I just carry it in a hydration pack for long rides. It carries/rides fine in my Osprey pack. 504 handles the needs for 85% of my rides. For bigger rides, the extra battery is a quick swap.

Maguro

Nov 19, 2018
Madrid, Spain
Best thing i did to extend my range on my merida was to sell it and buy a levo :--)
Just for my curiosity (I have a Merida too): what would be your conclusion about how much range you gained? I´m assuming you bought the TL with the 700wh battery. Which Merida did you have?

artzicat1

Mar 3, 2019
israel
Just for my curiosity (I have a Merida too): what would be your conclusion about how much range you gained? I´m assuming you bought the TL with the 700wh battery. Which Merida did you have?
my levo is 500 wh which is the same like the merida but on my levo i can ride locale trail which include 40 km ride with 900m climb usually would finish short around 36 km mark which would leave me fighting to finish the route when on the levo i have left around 10% and i ride on trail mode and my weight 105kg without gear
carmel coust trail
for this ride on my old merida would carry a spare battery
Untitled.jpg

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Depends on the bike you have. There's a 625wH Shimano external battery now if you have the Shimano external 504wH.

I do shorter loops, generally so having two 504wH batteries is plenty for me.

I change between loops.

Gordon

Chrispy

Oct 19, 2020
Oakridge, OR
I just bought a second 504 Shimano battery for my Santa Cruz Heckler. I just carry it in a hydration pack for long rides. It carries/rides fine in my Osprey pack. 504 handles the needs for 85% of my rides. For bigger rides, the extra battery is a quick swap.

Considering that....did you get the battery together with the mounting plate/shield or do you do transfer that in the field when you swap? If you buy the battery thru Santa Cruz (as opposed to say Amazon) did they automatically provide that plate/shield?

Velociraptor

Oct 10, 2020
Pacific Northwest
That is exactly what I am doing too with my Heckler.

sparrow

Mar 22, 2019
Rivendell123
Considering that....did you get the battery together with the mounting plate/shield or do you do transfer that in the field when you swap? If you buy the battery thru Santa Cruz (as opposed to say Amazon) did they automatically provide that plate/shield?
I work at a bike shop, so I was able to order battery from Shimano and the cover from Santa Cruz. Your SCruz dealer should be able to get you what you need.

Chrispy

Oct 19, 2020
Oakridge, OR
Thanks. I just recently picked up the bike and only so far had a general conversation with the shop's owner as to me wanting an extra battery down the line. Now that I've ridden it a coupla times and have an idea what it can do in real use I was just looking around to see if Shimano had extenders out there or what someone may have rigged somehow. I ran across this forum right after I saw you can even get the battery on Amazon...but my first ebike dive so I have some catching up to do.

One thing I'm pretty sure I don't want to do is change that plate/shield out in the field, I'll for sure lose those little screws.... :).

sparrow

Mar 22, 2019
Rivendell123
Thanks. I just recently picked up the bike and only so far had a general conversation with the shop's owner as to me wanting an extra battery down the line. Now that I've ridden it a coupla times and have an idea what it can do in real use I was just looking around to see if Shimano had extenders out there or what someone may have rigged somehow. I ran across this forum right after I saw you can even get the battery on Amazon...but my first ebike dive so I have some catching up to do.

One thing I'm pretty sure I don't want to do is change that plate/shield out in the field, I'll for sure lose those little screws.... :).

No doubt the screws would not all make it back with a trail side swap!

Chrispy

Oct 19, 2020
Oakridge, OR
I ordered my Shimano battery from a local e-bike shop. Took a month or two to arrive and it has all the mounting hardware except the cover. I ordered the cover direct from Santa Cruz.

I talked to my buddy Shimano distributor so have the battery squared away then told the bike shop to order the plate....they had no idea about cost....can you help? Also, what pack do you use to carry the battery or do you strap it to the frame?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles