Article Range Check - How far can you go?

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Rider wieght certainly seems to make a huge difference , last week we rode the 18mile Black route at Glentress a few times , I used eco almost all the way to the top , Iam 100 kilo the other 2 on identical bikes used trail and I believe some boost ?at times they are around 85 kg . My battery didn’t seem to be lasting much longer than the other two . We also found after dropping to 2 bars shortly before stopping for a 10 min rest the battery was showing 3 bars again when we set off again .
After 2 bars the shimano battery will suddenly drop to one red bar on the display , however I noticed my battery still showing 2 bars . I’ve not pushed it much past this stage so no idea how far it will go .
The range prediction is certainly meaningless and if you go by that I believe you’ll end up pedaling a dead bike .
I've only ridden the Shimano system once; on a full day ride on a Merida e120-500E. My partner was also riding one of these, and she is lighter than me, but I had better battery life. We noticed this also when we rented some Levo's in Tasmania. I think she was a bit heavy on the boost mode . . . but also I was maintaining a higher cadence which might have helped. I also felt that the estimated 'range left' on the display was pretty inaccurate . . ..

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Agreed. At the start of the ride I’m fresh and spinning and the first couple of bars seem to last for ages but as I tire my cadence drops and the remaining bars don’t last anywhere like as long.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Not really linked anything to cadence , yet , the shimano likes to spin above 70 rpm I can feel that, especially on eco , but I guess and I do see a lot if ebikers spinning a very low speeds and using higher settings isn’t good .

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
You're a little heavier than me @Kernow. I know Glentress like the back of my hand. Using boost for all the climbs I'd be very surprise if a 500wh battery would manage the entire black route for me. Unlike most on here I have no real interest in using eco or trail at all on climbs. I'd choose an ordinary bike if I wanted to do more climbing at a slower pace.
The weird thing about spinning up climbs is that the more technical a climb and the more you need to find grip or choose good lines the harder it is to maintain a high cadence. My battery lasts nowhere near as long (elevation wise) the more technical the climbs are. No surprise there though really.
I've taken my battery down to and past the blinking red level indicator a few times now and ridden it back "off". "Walk" mode is the only mode that will still work at that point.

Has anyone changed their power settings with the shimano app? I think I might like to try out a higher power assistance on the "trail" setting and maybe I'd actually use it.
That’s the joy of the ebike for me , I can go on long climbs or ride with much fitter riders on normal bikes and use eco and still get a good workout , where on a normal bike of that spec I would iether not keep up or simply end up pushing up the climbs .thats my main reason for buying an ebike
Climbing has become fun again on the ebike . When I first got it I was like you hammering everywhere in boost , snd I still do if I just have an hour or so for a ride , but trail is far better and more controlled for technical climbs , and most rides Iam trying to make the battery last and get a good workout .
I’ve played with the modes , yes you have try the higher power settings , it flies And low setting is great on a longer ride or if your riding with normal bikes . It does depend who your riding with and their fitness levels compared to yours as to what settings you use , it’s the same as normal riding really just that the ebike allows you to Taylor your “fitness “ level to match other riders instead of being left behind or getting cold and bored

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Not sure of the names of the trails used , there were 3 on the golfie side , you’ll be able to see where they crossed the fire road and easily follow the track to the top , all three went up past a huge old concrete enclosure with a hole blown in the side , what was that ? Reservoir ?
Sections one and two were off to the right side at the concrete enclosure and section 3 was to the left over the hilltop and ended along from the golf club .
There was 2 sections used on the other side The final section was used for seeding you’ll see how that ran into the car park as an arena finish . I think the stages held up well , they were drying through Sunday which helped a bit but Friday and saturday they were very slippery and wet . I think about one in 5 came out section 5 in seeding with a blown tyre or busted gears etc
This is a pic from my daughters strava
093605B9-1328-4827-AA76-D605B4657788.png

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK
15.5 miles today 1954 ft elevation mostly in eco with trail on the steepest climb (probably about 500 ft) 62% remaining battery

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK
Not sure what it is called, it is the one up from Steyning that comes out near the blue run

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
I haven't run out on a ride yet . . . and I've been doing many 50km days. I'm on top of battery management though; if I think I'm not going to make it back I'll dial down to eco and just work a bit harder.

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
The most I've got out a battery is 4917ft of climbing! Can't remember the settings, but they were low.

This was in month 2 of owning an e-bike; when I still had my biking legs & I still used the road bike for fitness.

Garmin
Strava Cyclist Profile | J A M E S.

Specialized App with power readings
Strava Cyclist Profile | J A M E S.

Would I do that now; absolutely no way, I was miserable as sin on that last climb.

I'd take a second battery and have much more fun.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I’d take a second battery and have much more fun.
I think this is the way it’s going to go for many eMTBers; put up with the extra weight of a spare battery in a backpack because it’s far outweighed by the extra fun of running higher assist levels.

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
I think this is the way it’s going to go for many eMTBers; put up with the extra weight of a spare battery in a backpack because it’s far outweighed by the extra fun of running higher assist levels.
Yep, we'll soon have 800 watt batteries :)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Sorry. I thought you meant you had something specific like a press release promising bigger, backwards compatible batteries.

Unless there had been a big leap in battery technology more power equals physically bigger. Not an issue if you can design the bike around the battery. It could get complicated trying to cram more cells into a small space.
I reckon that the Bosch 500wh battery (10s4p) could become a 625wh (10s5p) and still fit most frames. Something like a Levo would present certain challenges I think.

Paladin

Feb 18, 2018
Bakersfield
I carry a spare battery on about half my rides. E-biking is all about fun for myself and I no longer have to grind up hills. My backpack with a spare battery probably still weighs less than a school kid's pack full of books.

Hedge Monkey

Feb 25, 2018
Uk
Saturday 28 Miles 3600ft extreme climbing across Dartmoor Mostly Eco except the main climbs in trail or turbo.
Battery completely flat about a mile from home.
Sunday 25 Miles road work around coast road newton abbot torquay teignmouth again mostly Eco beasting clock work road bike riders...
They didn't like it but it was research LOL...
Only used 40 percent of battery.
Both realy good rides but does go to show how difficult it would be to get a definitive answer on range.
500wh Levo

John Locke

May 14, 2018
Yorba Linda, CA
15.5 miles today 1954 ft elevation mostly in eco with trail on the steepest climb (probably about 500 ft) 62% remaining battery
I went 12.8mi on my Haibike Xduro All Mtn 6.0 with 1934' elevation gain, had 65% left. Lots of step hills on this ride, boosted it full assist on most hills. Fun ride, first time on that route, and it was at night.

Last edited:

Mike Smith

May 26, 2018
Derby, UK
Yes very nice video, just downloaded the dark skys app too, only £2.99.. getting a fair few alerts coming through, probably have to nip into the settings and give it a tweek

Cyclejunkie

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2018
Deal Kent
Nice 1 mate going to download the Zworks App when I get payed this month & give it a go not impressed at all with the ‘Mission Control’ app

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles