Rainsuits??

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
With the UK's weather having a constant grey/wet theme I'm considering a rainsuit such as the mt500 but it is a little pricey. Has anyone used one? Are there any alternatives?? Or with the way things are going maybe a full blown wetsuit would be better?!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think a particularly super crappy winter was forecast .. wetsuit might be the way to go :)

You could probably pickup a surplus nbc suit far cheaper and then you're ready anything.

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
I think a particularly super crappy winter was forecast .. wetsuit might be the way to go :)

You could probably pickup a surplus nbc suit far cheaper and then you're ready anything.
Those nbc suits look sweaty! I'd lose 5kg a ride, hmmm not a bad shout actually...

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Dirtlej Dirtsuit for me. As breathable as anything else I've used, loads of vents and mesh lined. Got mine a year ago from Bike Discount in Germany.

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Another vote for Dirtlej Dirtsuit.
I did a short review on one in December last year
Search reviews - Dirtlej Dirtsuit Pro
Sorry , don't know how to paste link
There is a shortish thread on them

They are awesome and definitely worth a punt

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Most waterproof fabrics do not like constant contact with other surfaces so I would be sceptical the bum area would stay waterproof for long. A packable waterproof jacket coupled with normal good quality mtb shorts does the job for me. I use a Nukeproof jacket and Oneil mtb shorts.

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
I shall have a look for your review thanks. Agreed about the rear section! Not too fussed about getting that damp, mainly about keeping most of the elements out and mainly the mud. Got a few very good waterproof jackets and trousers as i do alot of hiking but there lightweight and expensive and wouldn't want them destroying on my bike.

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
If you want a cheap option I got a set of lightweight army goretex trousers that I wear with any old jacket. If you get warm they have zips on the sides

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
Can anyone recommend a quality waterproof jacket? Doesn't have to be MTB specific.

I use a montane minimus which is great, works well, small pack size and lightweight. Only downside for me is the single chest pocket which is large but I would of liked some side pockets. Can be had for a good price if you shop around.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Mine is a Nukeproof 10k rating which is what you need as a minimum if you want decent rain protection whilst riding. Very light easily packable and with a hood that fits over a helmet......another must unless you are happy with rain off the helmet pouring down your neck. I would avoid chest pockets because it means waterproof/taped seams which are always the weakest link in a waterproof jacket. An elongated tail is also a good idea and if it is a bike specific jacket it should have that. Expect to pay decent money for something that will survive more than a few wet outings.

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
Mine is a Nukeproof 10k rating which is what you need as a minimum if you want decent rain protection whilst riding. Very light easily packable and with a hood that fits over a helmet......another must unless you are happy with rain off the helmet pouring down your neck. I would avoid chest pockets because it means waterproof/taped seams which are always the weakest link in a waterproof jacket. An elongated tail is also a good idea and if it is a bike specific jacket it should have that. Expect to pay decent money for something that will survive more than a few wet outings.

My chest pockets have not leaked yet! An elongated tail is defo a good idea on a bike as normal jackets tend to ride up. Does have a 20k waterproof rating and 20k breathabillity which is pretty good. I use mine for hiking so cant really comment for cycle use. All I can say is I spent 7 hours in heavy rain and it coped remarkably. It will take a mountaineering helmut under the hood, not sure about cycle helmut, never tried. I will though, tomorrow.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
My chest pockets have not leaked yet! An elongated tail is defo a good idea on a bike as normal jackets tend to ride up. Does have a 20k waterproof rating and 20k breathabillity which is pretty good. I use mine for hiking so cant really comment for cycle use. All I can say is I spent 7 hours in heavy rain and it coped remarkably. It will take a mountaineering helmut under the hood, not sure about cycle helmut, never tried. I will though, tomorrow.
Now you mention it...yep my Nukeproof Blackline is 20k rated not 10k as I said before and also 20k gsm breathable.

Peko

Sep 23, 2018
Germany
I like my Gore Powertrail GT AS Jacket.

Im using it since more than 2 years now and it's still fine. Made of tough material and the packing size is ok. I'm always riding with a backpack and i still cant't see any damage. It's also my preferred jacket during the cold seasons.
So i would say this jacket is my favorite allrounder.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
You just need to make a trip to Mountain Warehouse, or similar, and buy something far cheaper that could probably do a better job, or, buy road specific kit in a size up, I bought some Rivelo kit last year from www.sportpersuit.com, it's the best wet weather kit I have ever bought for MTB.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey

What’s the sizing like on your Blackline?

I’m 5’11 and 40” chest, thinking of going medium for a snug fit..

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Im 6ft and 38 chest. Mine is a large and not baggy worn over a mtb jersey and leatt dbx vest.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Yeah, a cracking deal. The Endura dirtsuit was nearly double the cost of a Dirtlej when I got my Core.
You wont regret it. After you have tried a 'onesie' you'll not go back to a twin set.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles