Rail Mullet

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
It can be physically done, but with an already low Bottom bracket, there would probably be pedal strikes.
You would possibly have to raise the flip chip into high position

flyingdoctor

Dec 19, 2019
Germany
I have a 27.5x2.8 rear wheel with Eddy Current tire. Works perfect. Mino Link in high position, the bottom bracket drops only 4mm and the head angle is only 0.2 degress lower

Rail2.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Not really as the properties of a 27.5 with a 2.8 and very different to a 29 with a 2.3 tyre, the ride would feel very different

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I mullerred my Levo and it made a massive difference, I really liked it so would look to do the same if I get a Rail.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
What size rear did you go for and how do you think it changed the bike?

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I put a 27.5 with a 2.6 on. I didn’t think it would make such a big difference but I felt totally different just setting off in the car park.
It made the the bike far more agile and precise. It lost the slight “unwieldy” feeling I sometimes got with the 29. It also felt more confident on downhills, not sure if that’s because of the height drop, being able to get lower off the back or just placebo.
It just felt right really but that could just be me.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I put a 27.5 with a 2.6 on. I didn’t think it would make such a big difference but I felt totally different just setting off in the car park.
It made the the bike far more agile and precise. It lost the slight “unwieldy” feeling I sometimes got with the 29. It also felt more confident on downhills, not sure if that’s because of the height drop, being able to get lower off the back or just placebo.
It just felt right really but that could just be me.
Any long term use feedback? Still liking it?

Seabird55

May 11, 2021
Vancouver
I have a 2021 Rail 7 amd am considering to try to mullet my ride. Can someone provide a step by step to set this up ie changes to cassette, chain, gearing, brakes, flip chip etc.
Would also like to hear some feedback from people that have done this to the rail specifically and how they like or don’t like it. Thanks

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The only mechanical change I made to the Rail when I mulletted it was to run the flip chip in the High position. I'd already fitted 170mm forks. I had the bike shop adjust the wheel circumference in the firmware to account for the smaller rolling radius.

Seabird55

May 11, 2021
Vancouver
The only mechanical change I made to the Rail when I mulletted it was to run the flip chip in the High position. I'd already fitted 170mm forks. I had the bike shop adjust the wheel circumference in the firmware to account for the smaller rolling radius.

thanks for the reply...so all i need to do is...

- get a 27.5 with 12spd cassette
- flip the chip to high position

fyi, i'm running stock fork/shock.

can you comment on how you like it vs having 29's front/rear; pros/cons?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
- get a 27.5 with 12spd cassette
Yes. Don't forget to swap the magnet and brake rotor over as well... :p
- flip the chip to high position
Probably, you'll have to try it and see. My Rail is a 2020 with the 2021 airshaft so is probably about 20mm taller than stock. If you have a Zeb I think they are longer than Yari/Lyrik forks.

Cons; pedal strike more likely. Looks a bit odd with all that space between the rear tyre and frame. Not as good up really steep stuff, but I hate climbing anyway, so real loss to me.
Pros; seems to turn in better, even though the bike is (a lot) slacker than stock.

I'm actually trialling a 27.5 front as well, still in the High position because of the longer forks. Only had a couple of rides so far. First was awful; loads of pedal strikes (compared to the practically none of the mullet set-up) and I don't really like plus or DHF tyres and the wheel I had in the shed was both... Second was much better, able to push on a bit and by the third I was pushing the front hard enough to want something with more grip so I bought a 2.6 Magic Mary (no doubt someone will tell me that's a plus size, but it's a skinny fucker compared to the 2.8 DHR I took off) but then my chain snapped for the third time so after 2200 miles I decided it was time to replace it but the ride was over after 400m. The bike is currently in the shop getting the frame bearings replaced so I'll be able to report back after that's done and I've got a few more rides in.

Seabird55

May 11, 2021
Vancouver
Yes. Don't forget to swap the magnet and brake rotor over as well... :p

Probably, you'll have to try it and see. My Rail is a 2020 with the 2021 airshaft so is probably about 20mm taller than stock. If you have a Zeb I think they are longer than Yari/Lyrik forks.

Cons; pedal strike more likely. Looks a bit odd with all that space between the rear tyre and frame. Not as good up really steep stuff, but I hate climbing anyway, so real loss to me.
Pros; seems to turn in better, even though the bike is (a lot) slacker than stock.

I'm actually trialling a 27.5 front as well, still in the High position because of the longer forks. Only had a couple of rides so far. First was awful; loads of pedal strikes (compared to the practically none of the mullet set-up) and I don't really like plus or DHF tyres and the wheel I had in the shed was both... Second was much better, able to push on a bit and by the third I was pushing the front hard enough to want something with more grip so I bought a 2.6 Magic Mary (no doubt someone will tell me that's a plus size, but it's a skinny fucker compared to the 2.8 DHR I took off) but then my chain snapped for the third time so after 2200 miles I decided it was time to replace it but the ride was over after 400m. The bike is currently in the shop getting the frame bearings replaced so I'll be able to report back after that's done and I've got a few more rides in.

thanks great info.

tobster

Apr 3, 2020
Oxford
IF/when I damage my rear rim then I will seriously consider putting a 26" rim on my 2019 powerfly and replace the current 27.5" setup. Anything to make it more nimble. It's still an expensive experiment IF it turns out sh~~e

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
Did you upgrade the software? Letting the bike “know” it has a smaller wheel. If not, don’t one risk the bike growing an error code after a while?

Chris79ita

Jan 19, 2022
Arezzo
Did you upgrade the software? Letting the bike “know” it has a smaller wheel. If not, don’t one risk the bike growing an error code after a while?

Of course, update the "step" directly from the kiox (and it's a very simple operation)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
You need to get a dealer to correct the wheelsize.

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
Of course, update the "step" directly from the kiox (and it's a very simple operation)
I don’t think you can, you only have to adjust small increments on the Kiox, nowhere near enough to match a 650b rolling circumference.

I run my rail in mullet, I have spoken with my LBS about changing the rear size, he isn’t sure that it can be done, I’m sure it can be but actually I don’t really care. I have noticed no drop off in speed against my buddies. So it’s not reallly a problem

Chris79ita

Jan 19, 2022
Arezzo
You need to get a dealer to correct the wheelsize.
No, you can do it directly from the kiox by going to settings, as said very simple operation. Set measurement to the millimeter also with garmin gps/speed and is perfect (i had to shorten the "step" very little, i think due to the "crushing" of the rubber when riding due to the weight)

Ps: the parameter that a different wheel change, obviously is the speed

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
No, you can do it directly from the kiox by going to settings, as said very simple operation. Set measurement to the millimeter also with garmin gps/speed and is perfect (i had to shorten the "step" very little, i think due to the "crushing" of the rubber when riding due to the weight)

Ps: the parameter that a different wheel change, obviously is the speed
Have you measured the rolling circumference of your new mullet(27.5) wheel??? I can’t remember the actual measurements but it’s MILES outside the parameters you are able to set through Kiox directly. So unless your Kiox is different to everyone else’s I can see that you have adjusted correctly i’m afraid.

Chris79ita

Jan 19, 2022
Arezzo
Have you measured the rolling circumference of your new mullet(27.5) wheel??? I can’t remember the actual measurements but it’s MILES outside the parameters you are able to set through Kiox directly. So unless your Kiox is different to everyone else’s I can see that you have adjusted correctly i’m afraid.

The measure to be entered is in millimeters (here in europe....) and the "development in length of the wheel" fits perfectly into the parameters of the kiox (then i take photo with the exacly measure that i put in kiox.... that i don't remember exactly)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles