Rail battery fell out while riding!

DJParkes

Aug 11, 2020
Soithern Indiana
On last nights ride my battery pretty much ejected it’s self while riding along some gravel track. I was going fairly quickly so needless to say it’s made a mess of the battery cover plate, but more worryingly it’s dented the battery it’s self.

now the battery was definitely fitted properly (i double check ahead of every ride), and this was about a Half way into my ride not right at the start as you would expect had it of been fitted properly.

Managed to refit the battery and cable tie it in for security, but can’t see any damage to the locking mechanism so no idea what happened.

is this a known thing or fault on the rails - batteries self ejecting?
My battery fell out also. Trek Rail 7. It was on a gravel road in the Hoosier National Forest. I was running around 13 mph on a slight washboard downhill portion of the road. Trek replaced the battery cover under warranty. The battery still functions fine. LBS also adjusted lock latch so it has better engagement to battery when locked. I still use a velcro strap. I don't trust the latch mechanism.

BigMark

Feb 10, 2020
Mine fell out as well, they are replacing the battery cover under warranty and readjusted. It's actually great as I ordered a new extra battery and the side plate and mounting kit are seperate. I keep a bungee around it just in case though, it was a long walk uphill to retrieve it.

SAF

Aug 23, 2020
Cairns,QLD, Australia
had the battery fall out of my 2021 rail 9 today only 3 days old and third ride(half way around 2nd lap of Davies Creek trails) ,,hadn't had battery out yet, damage to battery cover and some scratches to seat tube and chain stay as it bounced !!

IMG_3074.jpeg

IMG_3075.jpeg

IMG_3076.jpeg

IMG_3077.jpeg

jeroen

Jul 8, 2020
Switzerland
had the battery fall out of my 2021 rail 9 today only 3 days old and third ride(half way around 2nd lap of Davies Creek trails) ,,hadn't had battery out yet, damage to battery cover and some scratches to seat tube and chain stay as it bounced !!

Thanks SAF for the warning, then I'll keep an eye on that it is properly closed and the lid does not open more / wiggle etc.

Good luck with getting it fixed; seems Trek is doing a decent job about it though.

ddbros

Aug 8, 2020
Minnesota USA
Since you've been posting, I've started putting a 1"x 3" piece of 3M Clear Bra from the cover to the frame at the top to be safe. It doesn't even show and the stuff is tough. I just replace it when I pull the battery out. Good peace of mind.

Reactions: SAF

jeroen

Jul 8, 2020
Switzerland
Clear bra? Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh. even at age 57 there's still some Beavis and Butthead in me.

Ah yes.....

don't worry, while B&B has been forgotten by Gen Whatever, it still goes strong in many folks hearts.

For that matter, totally offtopic, but.... definitely check out Rick & Morty...

Shadi922

Jul 19, 2020
Morton Grove, Illinois
Love my bike but a little pissed off, I bought my 2020 Trek Rail 9.7 Gloss Purple Phaze new from Trek on 8/10. Yesterday my battery fell out and scratched the paint and carbon. At first, I thought it was my fault, then it happened 5 more times. I know this not my fault especially after reading this thread. It's weird because after the first couple of times the battery fell out I bounced the bike up and down and the battery would not fall out, after a couple of mins of normal riding(flat paved road no bumps) the battery would just fall out. I dropped my bike off at a local Trek Store, he stated he would contact Trek and see what he can do under warranty. My bike was in mint condition and now my battery cover is all scratched up, I spent a lot of money on this bike and have believed for a long time Trek is a great company, I hope I am right and they make things right. How has the warranty been for you guys, did they cover the work? Did they replace the cover with an exact painted one? Did they give you a hard time? What was done to correct the issue?

Gazzaaitken

Nov 7, 2019
Scotland
Did they replace the battery cover with the correct painted one, did they give you a hard time?
No issues at all, replaced with the correct colour all through warranty very easy process with the bike shop.

Lock issues are fixed now, but run with a velcro strap, just to make sure

Shadi922

Jul 19, 2020
Morton Grove, Illinois
How long did it take for Trek to file a warranty and complete the repair? Its been almost 2 weeks and I am still waiting to hear back from my LBS. I checked with them last Friday and they stated waiting to hear back from Trek.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The warranty claim on my Powerfly frame was started on a Monday, agreed on the Tuesday and completed on the Wednesday. That was pre-Covid though and my LBS is excellent.

illazilla

Jul 6, 2020
West Hills, CA
Your LBS should be addressing the misalignment issue on the front end of the sale, it's a known issue. We check the lock alignment on each one we build or service. This should be part of the bike build checks the shop does when receiving and assembling the new bike. At the shop I am at, we check every bolt and fitting for proper torque and adjustment. You really can't count on the 4 year old taiwan kids assembling them to do things right.

Mike a769

Sep 30, 2020
Norcal
Your LBS should be addressing the misalignment issue on the front end of the sale, it's a known issue. We check the lock alignment on each one we build or service. This should be part of the bike build checks the shop does when receiving and assembling the new bike. At the shop I am at, we check every bolt and fitting for proper torque and adjustment. You really can't count on the 4 year old taiwan kids assembling them to do things right.
Ok !
Confidence in LBS Restored!
Replacement cover and brackets Warrantied
Rippin in up!

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
Haven't had battery fall out but just after finishing my 1st enduro event noticed the bottom of my batt was moving a little, took batt out to find the 2 allen bolts in the bottom batt mount were nearly fully unwound ?
Something to keep an eye on in future.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
Someone mentioned it, but I also use clear Gorilla tape on my battery cover. It's incredibly strong and since it's clear, almost unnoticeable. I have never had a battery issue of any kind, but it's darn cheap insurance.

enCrypt

Sep 13, 2020
Douglas
This is a little worrying, a 2021 Trek Rail 5 is on my shortlist as my first EMTB. Don't suppose many people have got a 2021 yet, does it still happen on these too?

Ushtang

Sep 14, 2020
USA
This is a little worrying, a 2021 Trek Rail 5 is on my shortlist as my first EMTB. Don't suppose many people have got a 2021 yet, does it still happen on these too?

I have a 2021 Trek Rail 5 and I've managed 157 miles and no issues with battery so far. However re-did the battery alignment when I first got the bike just in case.

enCrypt

Sep 13, 2020
Douglas
Thanks All,
I've just ordered a 2021 Rail 5 on Saturday in the superb Purple Flip / Black. Its only coming with the 500Wh battery but I can always upgrade later if required... (will get it mid December apparently as my local dealer thought ahead and ordered some ages ago, so they're near the top of the list ;) )
I asked them about the flying batteries and he said they'd only seen one instance of it locally but said they'd make sure it was all good before the bike leaves the shop, then check the alignment again once I'd covered a few miles.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles