Rail battery fell out while riding!

Clint

Aug 12, 2021
Czech Republic
I had the same problem last year. Trek Rail 9, while driving on a gravel road (no jumps), my battery came out of nowhere, the battery overcame the safety position and fell out completely while driving. The battery jumped over rocks in somersaults. Of course, the battery is completely scratched. During the complaint, they replaced only the covers and the lock, but left the battery the same. Then I didn't believe it and kept watching to see if the battery was coming loose. Nobody wanted to believe me. They kept looking at the bike to see if I had fallen with it, trying to tell me that I had locked the battery incorrectly. Of course, this is not possible, the key cannot be removed from the lock if the battery is not locked. In the end, I preferred to sell the bike. (google translation - Czech republic)

Last edited:

Hcd

Aug 8, 2021
Australia
+1 on battery auto ejecting (twice) on a high speed roller coaster trail. I have a temporary velcro strap to secure now. Trek will install the new alignment bracket and replace the damaged cover on warranty - just have to wait for parts.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
+1 on battery auto ejecting (twice) on a high speed roller coaster trail. I have a temporary velcro strap to secure now. Trek will install the new alignment bracket and replace the damaged cover on warranty - just have to wait for parts.
When did this new alignment bracket come out & is it a recall type arrangement or freebie or do you have to talk loudly at the bike shop staff until they throw one at you to get you out of the shop?

Hcd

Aug 8, 2021
Australia
See page 7 of the supplementary service manual pinned to the top of the Trek folder. I asked for the new part to be installed and it was approved by Trek.

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
When did this new alignment bracket come out & is it a recall type arrangement or freebie or do you have to talk loudly at the bike shop staff until they throw one at you to get you out of the shop?

My issue is the battery momentarily disconnecting on a bumpy descent. Trek adjusted it once but it's still happening. Last week when at Trek to get my headlight enabled, I asked about the alignment plate in the context of the battery disconnecting. Tech said part weren't available yet, said that for whatever reason he sees the battery disconnect most often on Rail 5.

His trick (different guy than adjusted it last time) is to take off the motor cover, loosen the lower security torx bolts, and using an appropriate tool - I used a long hex wrench, one with a handle - through the motor housing press the backside lower bracket tight against the battery, then tighten the the torx bolts.

I just did it this morning - easiest down with the bike flipped over, given the rear wheel comes off anyway - and will give it a go this evening. Once done, I made sure I could still get the battery out - it is definitely housed more tightly than it was. If the issue persists I'll take it up with Trek again, once the alignment plate is in stock.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
That sounds like a cunning plan. I'm strill unsure about the new alignment plate though, have others had them retrofitted & are they free or you have to pay for them?

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
@markloch : this way of doing it has a lot of sense, more so than the official method. Thanks for the info, i will try it.

After making the adjustment, so far so good: on the rides (30+ miles) I've taken odds were good I'd have lost power at least once, and I haven't. The real test will be one particular bone-jarring ride where earlier this week I lost power 3-4 times over a few miles.

When I initially started making the adjustment, I didn't think it through and loosened the lower and upper security bolts (doh!) instead of just the lower. I then had to follow the RIB adjustment doc (mainly to get the upper bracket properly set up), and then did the press-through-the-motor-housing trick.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I checked out my rattly battery yesterday - it would rattle when hitting the outer case even though it seemed reasonably solidly fixed in. I found 3 of the 4 screws at the top of the battery holfing it to the carriage had somehow vibrated out & disappeared. Replaced them with new & a bit of locktite. A lot less rattly now. Something else to periodically check.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
@Doug Stampfer yes those little bolts were loose on my battery when new! Noticed this weekend some had worked loose again, definitely time for some loctite. I also followed the official alignment procedure when new, but my battery is now rattling again and has a lot more movement. @markloch 's technique makes a lot of sense will definitely give that a go. Would be nice though if Trek would just organize to have the alignment plate fitted to all our bikes free of charge...

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
@Doug Stampfer yes those little bolts were loose on my battery when new! Noticed this weekend some had worked loose again, definitely time for some loctite. I also followed the official alignment procedure when new, but my battery is now rattling again and has a lot more movement. @markloch 's technique makes a lot of sense will definitely give that a go. Would be nice though if Trek would just organize to have the alignment plate fitted to all our bikes free of charge...
Yes I'm scratching around for things to do while we're locked down. I took the motor guard off & had a look underneath but didn't adjust as the battery seems to sit ok but does move in & out a bit when pushed.
Found the motor guard cracked which was to be expected so put some epoxy on it.

aimage

Jul 8, 2021
New Zealand
My new 2021 Rail 9 (190kms so far) ejected its battery at over 30kph. I had read about this happening and gave the battery a good tug before setting out, seemed solid. Cover is toast as well as some scratches on the aluminum power tube. LBS is checking the battery condition and arranging a new cover which apparently will take a month. I don't really want a scuffed up power tube back which was damaged through a known Trek fitment issue. Has anyone had there battery replaced under these circumstances? ps, my motor has also been sent away for a vibration shimmer under power on top of the clunk when loading the pedals. No fun, been 2 weeks already.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
My new 2021 Rail 9 (190kms so far) ejected its battery at over 30kph. I had read about this happening and gave the battery a good tug before setting out, seemed solid. Cover is toast as well as some scratches on the aluminum power tube. LBS is checking the battery condition and arranging a new cover which apparently will take a month. I don't really want a scuffed up power tube back which was damaged through a known Trek fitment issue. Has anyone had there battery replaced under these circumstances? ps, my motor has also been sent away for a vibration shimmer under power on top of the clunk when loading the pedals. No fun, been 2 weeks already.
What is a vibration shimmer?

aimage

Jul 8, 2021
New Zealand
What is a vibration shimmer?
Hi Doug, was the LBS tech pointing it out when he he took it for a test ride. Instead of a smooth power delivery there was a slight vibration under load. Hard to explain really? Was hoping for an answer from Bosch by now, was due back a week ago but Covid has locked us down again.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Hi Doug, was the LBS tech pointing it out when he he took it for a test ride. Instead of a smooth power delivery there was a slight vibration under load. Hard to explain really? Was hoping for an answer from Bosch by now, was due back a week ago but Covid has locked us down again.
Do you mean like a slight kind of "grinding, growling or rubbing" sound from the motor - almost like the feel of a deraileur about to change? I have one that only happens when in low gears grinding up a hill - doesn't happen with the motor off or on the flat peddling. I took it to the LBS & the mech took it for a ride but found nothing different than his one. I don't trust him though & as I told him I don't want a new bike or motor just reassurance that it's not going to crap itself in a years time when it comes out of warrantee. I'll be interested to hear how you get on.
Oh & I think that clunk is pretty normal. It seemed a lot worse when I updated to 108 freehub.

Hcd

Aug 8, 2021
Australia
Trek installed the new alignment bracket (although I had to reinstall it as the alignment was very ordinary - happy to give tips if anyone is in need). I picked up the new battery cover today and replaced it myself. I sprayed a bit of PTFE dry lube on the lock mechanism inside the battery compartment while I was at it just to get things moving a bit smoother).

Hcd

Aug 8, 2021
Australia
Trek installed the new alignment bracket (although I had to reinstall it as the alignment was very ordinary - happy to give tips if anyone is in need). I picked up the new battery cover today and replaced it myself. I sprayed a bit of PTFE dry lube on the lock mechanism inside the battery compartment while I was at it just to get things moving a bit smoother).
Just to answer a few people asking on this thread: my Rail 9 battery self ejected twice a while back and scratched the cover - not much other damage. Initially I cable tied it back in place, then Velcro. In the meantime, after sending photos to my LBS, warranty replacement of the cover (took 3+ months to arrive) and installation of the ‘new’ alignment bracket was approved (which I had to ‘realign’ in order for the battery to come smoothly in and out). No issues since the bracket was installed and I haven’t used Velcro since.

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
Just had this happen on my 2nd hand (purchased from LBS) Powerfly 9.7LT (carbon fibre) .
When I bought the bike I noticed a dodgy feeling when locking the battery in and removing it, like it wasn't quite happening properly. Managed a couple of rides without any issues, then gave it a good whack with the heel of my hand and it's been as good as gold since.... Until today.
Always take it out at home as if someone's going to nick it they've got to think about a new battery / lock as well. So I charge it off the bike everytime. I then double / triple check it's locked in properly following earlier worries.
Today I'd set off up a fire road ( relatively smooth) to get to the head of the trail. Initially no assistance, then moved up to eco. Was about to change to emtb and the battery self ejected. Not too much damage, minor scuffs to battery casing and frame plate.
Reconnected and controller remained blank, appeared not to switch on. Disconnected / reconnected battery several times, checking connectors etc. No obvious faults. Decided to continue ride with no assistance. A few hundred yards further on and everything burst into life. Continued rest of 8 mile trail, bumpy AND wet, with not a single issue.
Got home and charged battery. Was not showing as much used as I'd expected and recharged fairly rapidly, but no excess heat appears to be being generated. Will contact lbs tomorrow to discuss - will reference this thread. And have plans for velcro safety belt as well.... Just wish I'd bothered earlier

aimage

Jul 8, 2021
New Zealand
I found if the key isn't easy to turn and the battery doesn't pop straight out, the lock and battery ousting plates aren't aligned properly. The cage they now supply fixes all that. No need for straps etc.

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
I found if the key isn't easy to turn and the battery doesn't pop straight out, the lock and battery ousting plates aren't aligned properly. The cage they now supply fixes all that. No need for straps etc.
As I say, I was having problems then a swift whack with the heel of my hand seemed to miraculously sort it out... Until today.
I will try to get lbs to sort it under warranty as they said they'd cover 3 months as it's second hand BUT I have sorted a few things out with a big hammer so they may claim invalidated warranty....

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
As I say, I was having problems then a swift whack with the heel of my hand seemed to miraculously sort it out... Until today.
I will try to get lbs to sort it under warranty as they said they'd cover 3 months as it's second hand BUT I have sorted a few things out with a big hammer so they may claim invalidated warranty....

The retrofit “cage” is the surest way to fix it once and for all. Maybe they’ll charge you parts-only but if not labor shouldn’t be more than 30 minutes. Until then, velcro!

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
The retrofit “cage” is the surest way to fix it once and for all. Maybe they’ll charge you parts-only but if not labor shouldn’t be more than 30 minutes. Until then, velcro!
Thanks for that. Anyone got a pic of the cage please ? Forewarned is forearmed and I'd like to know what I'm talking about when I go and have a chat.

aimage

Jul 8, 2021
New Zealand
Exactly.. its the 2nd attempt at a patch for the factory installed battery mechanism fitment issue. My wife's 2019 PF5 key and popout battery works perfectly, My 21 Rail 9 was difficult to work out of the box and the 1st attempted alignment process was a fail. 2nd one was a win.

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
Well, lbs being heroes they are, adjusted it so that battery ain't never coming out again and provided velcro strap as back-up insurance, got my frame number, registered with Trek and put warranty claim in for frame plate and did s/w upgrade to latest version. He reckoned that has upgraded to 95Nm as it asks what you want ( 95Nm obvs) and certainly turbo'ing it through the shop felt more powerful - I'll find out for sure on the trails.
All in all a relatively successful 10 minutes 😁👍.
Apparently the original owner had only ever done low mileage commute to work on tarmac ( sacrilege!!) , so hadn't shaken the battery fittings loose.... meanwhile I've been hammering it over well bumpy trails and revealed the 'design feature'.
I'll get him to loosen the battery off when I take it back in for the faceplate to be dealt with.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles