Rail battery fell out while riding!

Sofaboy73

May 26, 2020
UK
On last nights ride my battery pretty much ejected it’s self while riding along some gravel track. I was going fairly quickly so needless to say it’s made a mess of the battery cover plate, but more worryingly it’s dented the battery it’s self.

now the battery was definitely fitted properly (i double check ahead of every ride), and this was about a Half way into my ride not right at the start as you would expect had it of been fitted properly.

Managed to refit the battery and cable tie it in for security, but can’t see any damage to the locking mechanism so no idea what happened.

is this a known thing or fault on the rails - batteries self ejecting?

Dano78

Dec 3, 2019
Uk
I've seen a u tuber reviewing his trek rail and I'm sure he mentioned this happened to his brothers rail while out riding , I'm pricing up a rail at the moment but might wait for the 2021 bikes and see if this problem has been resolved, I'm been told they might be out next month

Sofaboy73

May 26, 2020
UK
I've seen a u tuber reviewing his trek rail and I'm sure he mentioned this happened to his brothers rail while out riding , I'm pricing up a rail at the moment but might wait for the 2021 bikes and see if this problem has been resolved, I'm been told they might be out next month

yeh, I saw that you tube video whilst having a search last night, but couldn’t find anything else other than a few people reporting batteries rattling. Thought I ask on here before speaking to the bike shop. I’ve only had the bike 4 weeks so I’m hoping treks warranty is as good as people say

Dano78

Dec 3, 2019
Uk
yeh, I saw that you tube video whilst having a search last night, but couldn’t find anything else other than a few people reporting batteries rattling. Thought I ask on here before speaking to the bike shop. I’ve only had the bike 4 weeks so I’m hoping treks warranty is as good as people say
I'm sure it will be mate I'd be interested to see what the problem is and if theres a fix for it , which model do you have?

RedTed

Oct 1, 2019
Sheffield
On last nights ride my battery pretty much ejected it’s self while riding along some gravel track. I was going fairly quickly so needless to say it’s made a mess of the battery cover plate, but more worryingly it’s dented the battery it’s self.

now the battery was definitely fitted properly (i double check ahead of every ride), and this was about a Half way into my ride not right at the start as you would expect had it of been fitted properly.

Managed to refit the battery and cable tie it in for security, but can’t see any damage to the locking mechanism so no idea what happened.

is this a known thing or fault on the rails - batteries self ejecting?

Ouch! If the battery compartment is damaged contact Trek, I most definitely would not try charging! When I first got mine (FS7 though, not a Rail) the battery compartment latch was tight and in the end wouldn't lock. Took it to a LBS and it was a combination of the internal cables interfering (one was routed over another creating a high spot) and poor latch adjustment. Got it sorted and no issues since, seems a very firm latching mechanism once engaged.

Sofaboy73

May 26, 2020
UK
I'm sure it will be mate I'd be interested to see what the problem is and if theres a fix for it , which model do you have?

it’s a Rail 9. Great bike other than this issue. There must be something wrong with the locking mechanism as now trying to remove the battery is not as simple as it was (turn the key and partially pops open normally) and you have to pull it out

Sofaboy73

May 26, 2020
UK
Have any of the batteries/cells swollen or puffed up?

Not opened the casing up so can’t tell. As the face plate took the majority of the damage and the damage to the battery housing itself was slight, I decided to do a monitored test charge in the garden yesterday. All went well, no heat build up while charging or any other signs of issues so think it could be ok?

on a related note, bike shop think it’s a clear warranty issue but hadn’t heard of people losing batteries before

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Not opened the casing up so can’t tell. As the face plate took the majority of the damage and the damage to the battery housing itself was slight, I decided to do a monitored test charge in the garden yesterday. All went well, no heat build up while charging or any other signs of issues so think it could be ok?

on a related note, bike shop think it’s a clear warranty issue but hadn’t heard of people losing batteries before

It should be ok then, as long as there are no dents or dinks to the cells themselves.

The reason I asked about whether any cells had puffed up is because I was wondering if that was what was causing the tight fit now, but it sounds like the case being damaged is causing that.

Sofaboy73

May 26, 2020
UK
It should be ok then, as long as there are no dents or dinks to the cells themselves.

The reason I asked about whether any cells had puffed up is because I was wondering if that was what was causing the tight fit now, but it sounds like the case being damaged is causing that.

I think the tight fit now is a fault with the locking and release mechanism For the power tube in the bike, and it was this that caused the initial problem

zaykay

Dec 3, 2019
Finland
My bike did exactly the same and is now on dealer for warranty repair. They replace the battery lock and few other parts + battery cover. Luckily battery survived.

Sofaboy73

May 26, 2020
UK
My bike did exactly the same and is now on dealer for warranty repair. They replace the battery lock and few other parts + battery cover. Luckily battery survived.

sounds like a known fault then and good to hear they are picking it up under warranty with no issues. i', still waiting to hear form my LBS

I have been pro active and wrapped something like gorilla tape around the frame and battery cover. I don't know if it is an issue with my model bike. I also put some rubber padding on inside of the cover, about an inch square, to give the battery mounts some more support. The padding is located beneath where the tapes are.

take my battery off the bike for charging so taping wouldn't work, have bought an adjustable velcro strap as an extra security measure. not ideal on such an expensive bike but better than it falling out again once it's fixed!

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Boy, that would annoy me no end. Those batteries insert from the side, correct? My shimano battery goes in underneath which I hate because that means it's always covered with mud. Why oh why didn't they design it to go in from the top!? What's the downside, no pun intended?

cjwally

May 23, 2020
Camano Island, WA
This happened to me as well unfortunately on my Rail 9.7. Super bummed as the battery is pretty scuffed up. Hoping that they will replace the cover. Going into dealer for warranty.

Has this happened to anyone with AL frames?
IMG_0227.jpg

Sofaboy73

May 26, 2020
UK
Is this only happening to carbon framed bikes?

no, happened on my rail 9 - aluminium frame.

looks like a known fault as shop where i bought bike form forwarded me a retailer bulletin PDF from Trek about re-alignment of RIB batteries in down tube and locking mechanisms, although this was for the Powerfly rater than the rail.

looking at mine i'm not sure this is the issue, but not done the re-alignment process as yet (just using a strap to ensure the battery stay in). trek have also sent me a new battery face plate which i'll fit at the weekend

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent

why is that lucky!? Sorry if falling out is a common problem and occurred on my bike, I’d want the battery replaced regardless.

I love the treks but the side fitting battery just looks like a week point imo and was the reason I decided against them

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles