Rail 7 2020 vs 2021

Hgian808

Nov 4, 2020
Hawaii
Is there any difference besides the colors? my LBS only has the yellow and teal in med. and says they wont be getting any more bikes in until next year. Im not really feeling that color but may be willing to pick that up and just grow to like it..

thanks

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
@Hgian808 only difference I can see is that the 2020 bike (which I have) has Shimano MT520 brakes, and the 2021 model has M6120. Both are 4-piston brakes. The M6120 is a more premium brake, but the MT520 is still plenty powerful. I found the rotors very noisy though and was chasing my tail trying to stop the rotors from rubbing. Apart from that, I can't see any difference between 2020 - 2021 models

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Yes you'll find that most of the 2020 models have had bars, grips, tyres, forks, shocks, wheels, dropper posts, cassettes replaced whereas the 2021 models haven't had them replaced yet. :LOL:

Hgian808

Nov 4, 2020
Hawaii
Lol...Thanks.. maybe ill find a shop that can vinyl wrap it for me.. unless I just try hold off till they get more stock..

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Lol...Thanks.. maybe ill find a shop that can vinyl wrap it for me.. unless I just try hold off till they get more stock..
Given the short supply of bikes, and that prices are likely to rise....if you really want one, it would be a shame to miss out, or pay a higher price for one later on. I know what you mean about that colourway, but I don't think it would put me off buying one if it was all I could get

1981Miked

Jun 14, 2020
Dundee
I went for the yellow and teal after only seeing it online, took a punt and figured it wasn’t that bad. I liked it when I saw it in the metal and it’s only grown on me even more. Only downside is it’s a weird colour scheme to get shiny anodised bits for as I’m a massive bike tart. I have not bothered tarting this one up at all with shiny bits and it’s all the better for it.
Go for it I say. It’s only a colour and you can always wrap it or paint it at a later date.

Hgian808

Nov 4, 2020
Hawaii
I actually thought about getting it painted, but my shop said that will void the frame warranty. I had them look at their back orders and they said a yellow rail9.7 would be available from the factory jan25. All other rails would be july.. I put money down for the 9.7. Can't wait.. at least it gives me time to pick up a stand and dedicated tools..

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
This may be fake news however I heard the other day that a couple of containers of Trek bikes actually landed on the wharves over here in NZ bound for the shops then were recalled to be freighted all the way back to supply Europe or the States. Hmmmm Is Trek a publicly listed company cos I want a piece of the action.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
This may be fake news however I heard the other day that a couple of containers of Trek bikes actually landed on the wharves over here in NZ bound for the shops then were recalled to be freighted all the way back to supply Europe or the States. Hmmmm Is Trek a publicly listed company cos I want a piece of the action.
I definitely feel very lucky I bought mine when I did, especially for the price I paid. Considerably more expensive now, and that's if you can actually get your hands on one.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles