Article Radon Render: Great performer, outstanding value

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Radon Render 10.0 HD First Ride Review

First Ride Review of the Radon Render 10.0 HD. 160mm travel at the front, 140mm at the rear, Bosch 625WH battery, carbon front triangle and a dream spec including full Fox Factory and SRAM AXS wireless shifting!! Current bike cost for the Radon Render 10.0 HD is around £5700.

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
Hi Rob, a couple of things:

1) You said the bike "is around 22KG"... this would be extremely impressive for an E-bike in this class and unfortunately it is not the case. The specifications are actually: "Total weight starting from 23,40 kg" https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/radon-render-10.0-hd-953333

2) The Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 HPC is 500 EUR cheaper at the same store and has a very similar quality spec, minus wireless shifters, and may even be better value. Is there please any chance you can take a look at it in a future review or round-up? https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube-stereo-hybrid-140-hpc-actionteam-625-29-actionteam-899738

Thanks! :)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi Rob, a couple of things:

1) You said the bike "is around 22KG"... this would be extremely impressive for an E-bike in this class and unfortunately it is not the case. The specifications are actually: "Total weight starting from 23,40 kg" Radon Render 10.0 HD | E-Bike Fully Shop

2) The Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 HPC is 500 EUR cheaper at the same store and has a very similar quality spec, minus wireless shifters, and may even be better value. Is there please any chance you can take a look at it in a future review or round-up? Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 HPC Actionteam 625 29 actionteam | E-Bike Fully Shop

Thanks for this - let me check the weight right away! Thats super important!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
2) The Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 HPC is 500 EUR cheaper at the same store and has a very similar quality spec, minus wireless shifters, and may even be better value. Is there please any chance you can take a look at it in a future review or round-up? Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 HPC Actionteam 625 29 actionteam | E-Bike Fully Shop

That is very good too! I'm hopefully getting the Cube 160 soon to test. They're actually both similar price in the UK. Cube £5500 and Radon £5700

On quite glance the differences the Render has some 'advantages':
  • AXS Wireless Shifting
  • Much more premium wheelset (DT Swiss HX1501)
  • 160mm Grip 2 Fox 36 (vs 150mm Fit4 on Cube)
  • Magura MT7 Brakes vs XT
  • Better tyre choice (Cube Hans Dampf would go in the bin!)
Both of them are incredibly well priced. Cube will have full dealer support too :)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Direct from Radon:

"22.85 KG tubeless in size Large, just had it on the scale"

I just updated the Video description with the exact weight.

You've also just prompted me to add my scales to my packing list for bike trips (y)

Last edited:

gmurad

Jan 26, 2020
Toronto, ON
The YT Decoy and Commencal Meta Power also present incredible value. Hard for me to say which one represents the most value. The larger battery on the Radon could be a deciding factor for some.

gmurad

Jan 26, 2020
Toronto, ON
@Rob Hancill As a tech person who loves to build products, teams, companies and etc I really liked the small part in your video about the Radon team. Would be really interesting to see how a startup can compete in this market which involves a lot of engineering, tech, design, marketing and more. Not sure if this aligns with your youtube channel but I think it would be a great video to go behind the scenes on one of these companies.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Any chance of a similar review of bike and manufacturer for the Whyte E-150? :)

For those new to mtbs and don't know much about them.

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
Thanks for the replies Rob and confirming the weight! You are of course right, the specs on the Radon are better and more recent overall but the Cube is still great and definitely worth a mention! Plus the Radon is mail order only with no local dealer backup, so if it has any issues you have to send things back and then are at the mercy of the supplier efficiency with long potential downtime, like I read about with YT Industries. There's usually a reason mail order bikes are cheaper, they don't have any real infrastructure costs to worry about.

Anyway of course it's a cracking bike which your review shows in a good light and I almost bought it myself until I decided to go the local dealer route for a bike for peace of mind on a bike costing over £5k!

PS: I am not that familiar with them as I also always had DT Swiss but Newmen rims seem to have a good rep and are priced the same as the DT Swiss on the Radon. I also don't find the Hans Dampf II on the front too bad... it coped with snow and ice and mud today on some steep-ish ascents and descents with no issues (ok I wasn't doing crazy speeds, but still). The second generation of the tire seems to have fixed many of the complaints of the first. Looking forward to seeing what you think of the Cube 160, if it had been a 29er I would have bought it but the 140mm is still a great all-rounder for my purposes :)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
@Rob Hancill As a tech person who loves to build products, teams, companies and etc I really liked the small part in your video about the Radon team. Would be really interesting to see how a startup can compete in this market which involves a lot of engineering, tech, design, marketing and more. Not sure if this aligns with your youtube channel but I think it would be a great video to go behind the scenes on one of these companies.
I'd really like to do this.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I didn't realize Radon had service centres in the UK. I've ordered a Rail, i had dismissed the Radon as i thought it was mail order only.

Martinintirol

Feb 27, 2020
Zillertal, Tirol, Austria
That looks an incredible package!
Not sure of any clear benefits of carbon on an emtb though, I am pretty hard on all my machines - all steel and aluminium. I am sure some of the crashes I have had on my fully would total a carbon frame ....
The issue for me, as others have mentioned, is the mail order only.

I am happy to pay a premium for the support, service and easy access of a local dealer. If they disappear through the growth of online retailers where would we all be then??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles