Racing with non eMTB`s?

Nikolai_V

Feb 6, 2020
Dunedin, NZ
This might have been asked before but...

Racing: Full noise against other eMTB`s, or detuned vs acoustic bikes?

I entered a local race yesterday, which had an eMTB section. 6 riders entered vs probably 50 overall.

I ask because I was on my Levo, in Eco at 10% racing against the 'acoustic / non eMTB`s', while other guys on eMTBs were smashing it in turbo, doing their own thing. About 10 mins per lap difference in time. I`m a reasonably strong rider, so was holding my own at 10% (slower on climbs, faster on the flat and on descents). Suffering like you should in an XC race lol. Should i have just gone for it, full noise and had my own race within the race with the other eMTBs? or suffered on 10% assist with the acoustic crowd?

What does everyone else think?

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Doesn't make much sense to me to have an eMTB class but not race the folks in that class? Or am I missing something?

Same. Is the OP suggesting that their placing against acoustic bikes is relevant somehow? Did the other emtb guys run out of juice and you caught them in the end like the tortoise or did you get lapped into oblivion?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
surely it depends which class you had entered as to who you were actually racing against? ie you're racing those in your class.

Doesnt sound right to be racing the non e bikes on an e bike as its not a level playing field, no matter how low you set your motor assistance - unless its off and then youd be at an enormous disadvantage.

If there were no classes (which would be really odd if they allow e bikes but dont have them in a seperate class), then I guess its just fastest wins, but seems a bit unfair on the people on the normal bikes.

If you entered your ebike in the normal bikes class, then you were cheating - unless battery removed.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
If I was entering the eMTB class, I'd expect to be racing against eMTB'ers only.
Some events have everyone ride the course at the same time, a bit like a GT Championship. Quite fun, but no reason not to use all your power modes (unless you're trying to improve fitness and not worried about the results.)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles