Question on speed limit of 2019/2020...

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
With correct wheel diameter, which I think is 2300mm? The bike will shut off power at 19.6mph.
Specialized removed the ability to change the wheel diameter, except by a dealer, and it can't go below 2000. That should change the speed limit to 23mph. It may not seem like much, but 23 is actually about what the bike is air-drag limited to - and also requires peddling over 100rpm. So, it is fast enough I think.

If you ask the dealer to change the setting to 2000, and still use a wheel that is 2300, can you change something in Mission Control or with Blevo so that speed and odometer distance is still accurate in the bike's logs and in Strava?

I would only want to do this if speed and odometer distance and strava upload was accurate.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
With correct wheel diameter, which I think is 2300mm? The bike will shut off power at 19.6mph.
Specialized removed the ability to change the wheel diameter, except by a dealer, and it can't go below 2000. That should change the speed limit to 23mph. It may not seem like much, but 23 is actually about what the bike is air-drag limited to - and also requires peddling over 100rpm. So, it is fast enough I think.

If you ask the dealer to change the setting to 2000, and still use a wheel that is 2300, can you change something in Mission Control or with Blevo so that speed and odometer distance is still accurate in the bike's logs and in Strava?

I would only want to do this if speed and odometer distance and strava upload was accurate.

Yes you can in BLEvo setup page. I have the same settings but on based on the European limit so end up around 30km/h now where the bike is normally limited to 25km/h. It makes already a huge difference!

shawry

Aug 13, 2019
Catterick Camp

Yes you can in BLEvo setup page. I have the same settings but on based on the European limit so end up around 30km/h now where the bike is normally limited to 25km/h. It makes already a huge difference!
Why would a dealer make that change for you? Surely they wouldnt be allowed?

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Why would a dealer make that change for you? Surely they wouldnt be allowed?

What if you buy corresponding 2000mm wheelset? But afterwards set the original wheelset back in the bike? Specialized gave their dealer network the ability for fine adjustments depending on the wheelset a customer is riding. With the 2000 setting you will enjoy a cut off speed which is about 28,8km/h. In terms of speed it's not a big difference we are just speaking about 3,8km/h however in terms of ride feeling, it's a real big difference.

Just one other option, if your dealer doesn't want to help you where you want to be sure not to break any warranty, buy the Levociraptor and set the wheel circumference to 2000mm. The minimum what Specialized accepts as reasonable.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Thanks for the explanation, was curious why mine was set to that. Makes sense since mine had wheel and gearset changes pre delivery

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
Your dealer would do that for you because you are their customer and they would want to help you enjoy your purchase. I would be rather surprised if they said no. I can’t imagine it really.

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
Yes but can it be done in a way that the bike’s odometer in non volatile RAM as shown in Mission Control is accurate?

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Yes but can it be done in a way that the bike’s odometer in non volatile RAM as shown in Mission Control is accurate?

MC will not be accurate as it trusts you will ride with a 2000mm. wheelset then too. If you ride with BLEvo you can select the right settings and it will compensate the speed and distance travelled.

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
Thanks.

So if you change to a 2000 setting on a 2019 or 2020, and you are really using a 2300 wheelset, exactly what setting in Blevo needs to change and to what value to make both speed and distance come out correct?

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Thanks.

So if you change to a 2000 setting on a 2019 or 2020, and you are really using a 2300 wheelset, exactly what setting in Blevo needs to change and to what value to make both speed and distance come out correct?

In BLEvo only enter your real wheel circumference (measured by sitting on the bike full gear at right air pressure). Mine is 2270mm.

BLEvo sees the value of 2000mm (motor setting) and your real wheel circumference. Then it automatically shows your bike is theoretically limited at 28,8km/h.

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
I see. That is a nice way for it to work. So 22.7 mph for a US one is possible with this method, with the only downside being if anyone opens Mission Control, the mileage will show 12% less than it really is.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
I see. That is a nice way for it to work. So 22.7 mph for a US one is possible with this method, with the only downside being if anyone opens Mission Control, the mileage will show 12% less than it really is.

I guess you are right and now I wished I lived in the US. ;)

bowser

May 23, 2019
Australia
I encourage people to measure the ground to center of rear axle, times it by 2 then times it by 3.14159 and I guarantee it works out larger than 2300.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I encourage people to measure the ground to center of rear axle, times it by 2 then times it by 3.14159 and I guarantee it works out larger than 2300.
You are aware that circumference will change quite a bit when sitting on the bike, that is especially if you run lower tire pressure.

Karsten

bowser

May 23, 2019
Australia
You are aware that circumference will change quite a bit when sitting on the bike, that is especially if you run lower tire pressure.

Karsten

I marked the floor where the valve stem was, sat on the bike and went one full revolution and measured the distance and it was close to 2300mm. I set the diameter to 2300 on Blevo and speed multiplier to 3.0 (using planet3) and it is almost bang on the same now. Speed multiplier 1.5 was still way out compared to the GPS

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles