Question about upgrading shifting

Trail Doug

Nov 22, 2018
Wrexham
The biggest difference between NX and GX is the cassette. That 10t makes a big difference to your overall gearing if you have the correct driver body on your wheels plus it's a lot lighter as ggx points out in the next post. All the other components have similar weight, price and performance.

Last edited:

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
5641F246-298E-4594-B6EF-7A527489D6EC.png

mintakax

Jan 19, 2019
boulder, CO
I could barely tell the difference between NX / GX / X1

As long as they are set up correctly and indexed well there's barely any performance increase in them. It's all marginal gains and maximum cash loss in my opinion. Would much rather have NX / GX and sorted tyres than the other way round.

Because I am a confessed spendthrift, a few days after my original post I ordered and paid for the Eagle XX1 drive train (minus the cranks). I had it installed on Sunday. Because of weather and time constraints, I've only ridden it 15 miles so far. I noticed immediately that shifting into the smallest cog was clunky and slow or didn't happen at all, so I had to learn how to set the high limit and index the gears (a good experience). Its fine now.

Does it seem worth the extravagant price ? So far I would say it is not. I hope this will change as better weather allows me to ride more challenging terrain. My immediate feeling is, as Rob said... "It's all marginal gains and maximum cash loss". I have forgiven myself and will enjoy it nonetheless ?

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
Why is this post in manufacture specific?

Go XX1 or XTR, just don't mix sram and shimano.

Porkyford

Feb 21, 2019
Edinburgh
Because I am a confessed spendthrift, a few days after my original post I ordered and paid for the Eagle XX1 drive train (minus the cranks). I had it installed on Sunday. Because of weather and time constraints, I've only ridden it 15 miles so far. I noticed immediately that shifting into the smallest cog was clunky and slow or didn't happen at all, so I had to learn how to set the high limit and index the gears (a good experience). Its fine now.

Does it seem worth the extravagant price ? So far I would say it is not. I hope this will change as better weather allows me to ride more challenging terrain. My immediate feeling is, as Rob said... "It's all marginal gains and maximum cash loss". I have forgiven myself and will enjoy it nonetheless ?
SRAM XX1 Eagle Gold 1x12 with gripshift - butter smooth shifting even under load and definitely ticks the bling box ?not cheap though.... I had the stock XX1 actuator previously and the difference is very noticeable.
View attachment 10862

View attachment 10861
it looks awesome, does it have to be Ebike specific?

mintakax

Jan 19, 2019
boulder, CO

I rode a bit more today and I have to say I really did appreciate the smooth shifting. Maybe the buyer remorse is wearing off .

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Why is this post in manufacture specific?

Go XX1 or XTR, just don't mix sram and shimano.
On 12 speed you can! People say best setup XTR chain & cassette & AXS derailleur & shifter
I have mixed & matched XTR shifter with XX1 rear derailleur

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Faster/better shifting can be had by reducing the gap between gears. If we don't need 11-50 we can improve shifting by going to 11-40 or 11-32 or... Saves weight too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles